Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Trump II  (Read 14254 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Trump II
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2017, 02:37:02 am »

President Trump said the head of the Boy Scouts called his recent address “the greatest speech that was ever made to them”.
Except the Boy Scouts did no such thing, according to a source within the organization.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/boy-scouts-disputes-leadership-praised-trump-speech-greatest-article-1.3376061

JoeKitchen

« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2017, 11:06:19 am »

You also keep complaining that regulations are strangling american enterprise. There is a UN ranking of country competitiveness (can't remember its name) that is done by some economic development agency that ranked the USA as fourth in the world for ease of starting a business. That, and given the huge wealth in your country, your assertion that federal government regulation is harming business is a little difficult to swallow. It's just not plausible.

I know you are talking to Alan here, but I feel the need to comment. 

You are not correct on this.   

I, myself, do not deal with regulations as a photographer, but my clients (architects and GCs mainly) do.  Not a single one of them would agree with you.  They could all site multiple projects that either did not even start or went extremely over budget, so the quality of the project suffered in other areas, due to regulations, some of which make no sense. 

They would all say we are over-regulated and that regulations are costing businesses. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:11:35 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2017, 11:38:02 am »

Actually, Joe, as a photographer, you too deal with regulations.  Fees are required for commercial photography in public places.  Complicated accounting procedures and tax regulations require you spend more money on accountants.  Issuing a tax form at the end of the year as required by Obamacare to show that employees have health care through your firm.   I'm sure if you think about all the things you do, you'll come up with a lot more. 

I was a contractor in NYC.  The rules and regulations were burdensome and costly.  Filing plans and the associate costs for architects and engineers are astounding.  Trump being a NY real estate developer is well acquainted with extra costs to build because of regs.  So he probably has a pet peeve against regulations.  Of course we need some regulations.  The problem is they just get out of control so they begin to hurt more than help.  They grow like weeds. They add costs that make us less competitive against imports and countries that have less regulation.

True, I can think of a few things, however the East Coast is pretty conservative when it comes to photography and regulations.  NYC is only really concerned about getting permit fees if lighting and grip are on the ground.  Tripods and shooting handheld are free.  Philly is even better, they don't care at all so long as you don't need to shut down the street. 

The West Coast though is crazy.  Nearly all municipalities require permits for any type of commercial shooting.  I know some photographers who regularly spend 3 to 4 hours obtaining the permits for even a simple shoot.  Most of it is due to politicians over reacting.  (One great example was some bored stupid assistant shined a 1K at a landing airplane, so the town made it illegal to do any commercial photography on public property.  They should have fined the dumbass and made an example of him, then moved on, but the politicians needed to make sure they were seen doing something.) 

Of course they charge for this time, but you don't make resales off of permits. 

Time is better spent making pictures that can be licensed multiple times then dealing with stupid regulations even if you are being paid for your time. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:47:34 am by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2017, 08:57:15 am »

I found the podcast I was referring to: http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/01/28/381652827/episode-599-the-invisible-wall.

I fail to see how this relates to my comment on over-regulation.   ???

JoeKitchen

« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2017, 09:10:03 am »

Only in that it was the interview in that podcast that mentioned that the USA is relatively unregulated, fourth best in the world from that measure. The main point of the podcast supports what you said.

No one is contesting that silly regulations stifle enterprise. That is self-evident, I'd say. The point in my earlier thread was that what we call regulation varies from person to person and from time to time. A large swath of the population at one point thought that pollution controls on cars was over-regulation.

Okay, maybe I should drink more coffee before posting here that early. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2017, 12:02:12 pm »

Frankly, I have a soft spot in my heart for immigrants.  My grandparents were immigrants.  Also, someone has to pay for the Social Security I'm getting.  :)

But there is a difference between today and years ago.  Back then, there was little in the way of free government services.  If you needed help it came from your church or synagogue, from charitable organizations, or from friends and family.  So people had to get on with it. They couldn't loaf around.  They may have spoken their original language at home but spoke English in the marketplace.  They wanted to be an American. 

Today, things are different.  It costs a fortune to school, medically care for and support immigrants.  It's not just a federal problem but a big state and local community problem.  My school taxes is 55% of my property tax bill.  There's not the same incentive to get work and get ahead.  Many people come to America to sponge off of our society instead of being part of and contributing to it as past immigrants did.  I'm not saying all.  But a lot.  Requiring immigrants to have skills before being let in is not something Trump invented.  It's been around for decades.

I think both sides are wrong on this. 

It takes a lot of stock to pick up and move to another country.  I know so many people that would be scared to change states, so anyone willing to change countries, and languages, has more grit then the average person.  To paint these people with a wide brush as those whom live off our system purposely is non-sense.  A group of people with that kind of grit is good for the overall economy, and one of the reasons risk-taking and entrepreneurialism is part of the American DNA.   

Sure, they get certain social services that cost us money, but I attribute that to our inflated government and would rather concentrate on lessen that.

With this being said, I do think our transition from a merit based immigration system in the 1960s to a family based one was a mistake. 

Many on the left have this notion that anyone could have come to this country, regardless, and that only now is immigration an issue.  This is just not the case; we had merit based immigration policies for decades prior to the 1960s.  Abandoning that has created a few issues. 

First, although girt is part of the immigrant persona, value does not necessarily come with it.  We have many coming to this country whom are not adding to our economy.  Second, because of the large influx family based immigration policies provide us with immigrants to vet, many immigrants whom do not have family here, but are very valuable, end up not getting visas or green cards quickly enough.  This causes them to return to their country to start their businesses, a loss for the USA economy. 

Now, I do realize I kind of contradicted myself here by saying immigrants have grit, but then criticized some of them for lack of value.  So I obviously do not have the complete answer to this, but do think some form of merit based system would be beneficial, along with 58% of the rest of the country.  The policy needs to be formed in a way to not discourage those with value from coming here. 

However, I fear if the Dems don't stop being crazy and come to the table, and the Reps don't stop being arrogant and let them do so, we will end up with an over-reaching merit based policy that will do more harm than good. 

texshooter

« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2017, 08:21:19 pm »

Will someone please hide the bubblegum.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »

Let's assume that estimate is correct and not fake news, it's still only half the story. Presumably, these people are working at something somewhere, so they contribute to the economy. If your argument is that because they're illegal then they don't pay taxes, i.e., don't pay into that social safety net out of which they draw benefit, then how is that any worse than Trump not paying any tax (assuming his bragging about not doing so is true). If they are living and working in your cities, then they are contributing to the economy by buying food, clothes, cars, paying rent, etc. The consumption of those goods and services IS the economy.

People expend an inordinate amount of emotional energy, it seems to me, worrying about the possible "costs" that illegals cost the system, but are there data showing that they cost the system any more than legal citizens do? How does that compare to the various forms of corporate welfare that the various levels of government pay out to Big Oil, Big Corn, Big Sugar, etc.

How much tax money paid by the avg joe is turned over to the one-percenters who own pro sports franchises when cities and states given them stadiums and other tax holidays based on the confidence game that these places benefit local economies (something that has been fund untrue by every economic analysis ever done)? We like to make fun of corrupt governments in the underdeveloped world, but viewed from a couple of steps back, how is the handing over of tax money to pro sports enterprises anything but corruption? It's theft on a grand scale, imo, although at the same time I have to admire the audacity of the con.

I have to primarily agree with you on that the average immigrants over the long term provides to the economy, equalizing their impact, and, actually, I think more so then a native born citizen of any country. 

Immigrants have more grit and are more entrepreneurial then the average citizen; this has been shown in many studies.  However, I think that the family based system has let in many people who are not very entrepreneurial, if at all, into the country.  I for one would rather us allow in entrepreneurial immigrants who provide to the economy then those who do not. 

As of right now, bureaucratic red tape is letting family members in while at the same making it difficult for some of the creme de la creme remain in the country due to clouds in the system. 

This has to change.  If someone gets hurts because they can not bring their "average" brother here, so be it.  Given the choice, I would rather have an entrepreneur then someone who's main goal is to labor for someone else and just get by. 

With that said, Alan is (sort of) correct in noting you are Canadian.  Canada has a merit based immigration policy, which Trump is basing his off of.  Are you actively trying to change your country's policies while also criticizing ours?  Or are you only criticizing ours and fine with leaving yours as is? 

PS, as a photographer, I know for a fact how much of a pain in the ass it is to photograph a project, even a one-off project, in Canada as a USA citizen.  However, Canadian citizens can easily do multiple projects in the States without any issue. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:07:27 pm by JoeKitchen »

texshooter

« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2017, 09:23:58 pm »

NOT MY FAULT!

texshooter

« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2017, 09:50:22 pm »

NOT MY FAULT!

texshooter

« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2017, 10:43:46 pm »

RACIST! . . . la-la-la. . . RACIST! . . . la-la-la. . . RACIST!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2017, 11:40:00 pm »

I didn't think I had much of a stance on illegal immigration. A country has the right to keep out people it doesn't want and should do so. I was just questioning some of the emotional rhetoric concerning the current US situation. When you reach the point where you have 13 million illegal aliens/immigrants, who have been there for a while and are probably, in the main, productive members of society, I'm not sure it serves much purpose to demonize them. If the US wants to prevent future illegal immigration, then you should do so, of course. I'm just not convinced that the presence of the ones who are already there is as big a problem as some people think and was just questioning many of the assertions about them.

(And I don't accept the notion that I don't have a right to discuss these issues because I happen to be Canadian. This is a public discussion board, a Canadian one in fact, so if you don't want to hear Canadian opinions, you might be in the wrong place. Just saying.)

I very much respect this! 

I have seen more then a few on this forum criticize the proposed immigration policies of the USA while being citizens of other countries with stronger immigration policies that what is being proposed here.  I feel that many here have no right to do so, unless they themselves are willing to criticize their counties' policies, when we are doing nothing but trying to create policies on par with the majority of the rest of the world. 

At the same time I though, I see so many of some of my fellow countrymen criticize immigrants for the differing cultures and changing of American culture. 

The USA has no culture; we are a country of immigrants.  We mix many cultures and what comes out, so be it, and this is always changing. 

My last name makes it more than obvious I am Anglo-Saxon, so I should have a strong right to desire for the USA to be strictly Anglo Saxon, the first major settlers of this country, in culture.  I don't, because much like the rest of America I am a mutt, also part German and Italian (but ... I don't tan at all, so I whole-heartily believe all those genes skipped me and went straight to my brother who does  ;D) and Irish (a sworn enemy of the English).  My last name makes me feel more on November 5th then on March 17th, but I would not restrict my fellow Irishmen from celebrating St. Patty's day as my right to also celebrate Guy Folk's day. 

My feelings on immigration though are that in a highly competitive world, precedence should be given those whom can provide most to the economy.  Many other countries, including Canada, agree with this on policy. 

The family based immigration policy I can sympathies with, since anyone would naturally want to bring his/her relatives to a country they have been successful within.  However, this does little for that country if highly skilled and entrepreneurial individuals are held up due to a clog in the system from an influx of family members. 

The USA has not always used a family based immigration policy.  Returning to a merit policy, although a mild one, I think would do a great good for the USA.

Of course, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, so it would be best if the Reps and the Dems worked together on this. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:48:30 am by JoeKitchen »

texshooter

« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2017, 12:12:54 am »

Don't worry Canada. . . .for a few more years, at least.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:19:50 am by texshooter »

texshooter

« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2017, 01:08:42 am »

I never did like the color blue.

texshooter

« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2017, 01:28:04 am »

But illegals do the low-pay work Americans refuse to do.  Isn't wage slavery great!  Oh America the Beautiful.

texshooter

« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2017, 04:31:35 am »

There is an upside to the ghetto-ization of America.  Just think how amazing this shot would look on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin.

link

texshooter

« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2017, 12:18:25 pm »

Why do so many non-Americans feel they have to tell Americans how we should live?

Because we'll be moving up there soon.

texshooter

« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2017, 03:18:26 pm »

Why bother outsourcing skilled jobs to foreign countries when we can just as cheaply insource them from foreign countries?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:19:07 am by texshooter »

texshooter

« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2017, 04:08:27 pm »

One man's leaks is another man's whistleblowing.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2017, 12:06:54 pm »

Great article I agree with (most of). 

Maybe It's Time to ...

Amazing how one of the biggest golden gooses in history was given to one of the most hated group of businesses in history. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:22:27 pm by JoeKitchen »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up