Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918389 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Trump II
« Reply #5680 on: August 27, 2017, 01:11:43 pm »

Alan, you made a broad statement w/o any fine print, claiming that CO2 is not a toxic at all ... but it is... it is like claiming that polonium that we used to get rid of the rat is not toxic when there is just one atom of it  ;D... so digest the info and move on....

Everything can be toxic, depending on the amount and circumastances:

Water: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3260684/The-hiker-died-drinking-water-Excess-fluid-lack-food-caused-brain-fatally-swell.html

BenGay (muscle cream): http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/06/09/teen-dies-from-muscle-cream-overdose.html

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5681 on: August 27, 2017, 02:36:29 pm »

Of course, per capita arguments are to punish America and other modern societies.  Maybe we should go back to huts, shut off the electricity and have no heating or air conditioning.  Just because backwards countries are still living in the dark ages, doesn't mean modern countries who produce the worlds' products (which requires a lot of energy that burns and produces CO2) should be punished. It is we who have advanced the world so they can live longer and better.  They want to catch up to us.  We don't want to go back to them. 

The fact is you have to look what America produces for that 14% of the world's CO2 ($17 trillion GDP) vs. China with 30% of the world's CO2 and only $10 trillion of GDP.  So China produces 4 times the CO2 then America does for each dollar of GDP.  Who's effecting greenhouse gases more?  Yet, Paris Accord does not require China to implement any changes until 2030.  What a stupid plan.  It's only there to punish America.  Of course, Obama agreed because he was a jerk trying to get the world to love him and leave a "legacy".  Obama is the egotist, not Trump.  Trump smartly dumped it.  He only cares about America.
The "per capita" argument is not to punish the US, it's just to point a US citizen has the highest CO2 emission vs. citizens of other countries. You're still double that of Europe, so don't claim you need to go back to the dark ages, meeting them halfway is fine. Keep working your energy efficiency because there's still lots of room for improvement.
Your argument to link it to GDP is also not right, that means an old economy with much higher wages would be allowed more CO2 then a developing economy with lower wages, that ain't right.
Your other argument, deduct the CO2 emissions for exports and allocate those to the countries that import the goods I like, but realize it will make the US look worse and China better :P
pieter, aka pegelli

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5682 on: August 27, 2017, 02:47:19 pm »

Everything can be toxic, depending on the amount and circumastances:

Water: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3260684/The-hiker-died-drinking-water-Excess-fluid-lack-food-caused-brain-fatally-swell.html

BenGay (muscle cream): http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/06/09/teen-dies-from-muscle-cream-overdose.html

Even over-exposure to some online discussions could turn out deadly.
A prolific poster might forget to eat and drink or even worse, overindulge in eating. And reading some posts can easily trigger a heart attack.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5683 on: August 27, 2017, 02:50:23 pm »

I assume the other "absurd" statement of mine is there are no racial problems in the U.S. (except for the made up ones, for political purposes). I stand by that.

Preposterous.  I'd expect more, especially for someone who lives in Chicago. It doesn't appear to be ignorance, so it must be willful blindness.

Also, to call racism "normal" is only valid if you equate "normal" with "common".  It IS common. Worldwide, as you pointed out. 

That doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5684 on: August 27, 2017, 02:51:42 pm »

And reading some posts can easily trigger a heart attack.

Or high blood pressure. :'(

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #5685 on: August 27, 2017, 03:04:57 pm »

I ordered such a lens cap at one time, and as I recollect it was delivered in a small envelope with a Chinese stamp which would indicate that it was mailed from China to Canada by the postal system (China Post and Canada). Maybe China Post ships it in bulk to Canada, and Canada Post opens the container and sorts the parcels and envelopes by the postal code. BTW, the cheapest letter rate by Canada Post is 85 cents, so it wouldn't make sense to send a bulk to a Canadian consolidator who would then have to pay the Canadian rates.

I just ordered a lens cap from a Canadian source for $4.99 (free shipping). It's coming from a Montreal eBay "company". Could have ordered the exact same thing direct from China for $0.99, but I wanted it sooner than 15 to 40 working days. BTW, the lens cap replaces one that literally "saved my butt". I slipped and fell down an embankment onto some rocks, recently. The lens cap was in my back pocket. My jeans had a huge tear in the pocket, and the lens cap had completely shattered, but there was no damage to my posterior. My knee, my forehead and one hand sustained minor abrasions and cuts, however.

Postage is a mystery, anyway. Cost me $15 to send a 150g lens in a small box to the US. Bought two large cast iron fry pans (Lodge) from Amazon at half price, and they still shipped them to me FREE. I can't imaging what it would cost ME to ship those pans somewhere!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5686 on: August 27, 2017, 03:15:23 pm »

Even over-exposure to some online discussions could turn out deadly.
A prolific poster might forget to eat and drink or even worse, overindulge in eating. And reading some posts can easily trigger a heart attack.

Funny you mention that. I recently had a low sugar attack and had to eat a donut and I just finished a slice of pizza. Not good for my diabetes.

We Americans are addicted to fast food and lousy food. We wink at CO2.  Doesn't even show up on our radar.  :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5687 on: August 27, 2017, 04:17:56 pm »

Preposterous.  I'd expect more, especially for someone who lives in Chicago. It doesn't appear to be ignorance, so it must be willful blindness.

Also, to call racism "normal" is only valid if you equate "normal" with "common".  It IS common. Worldwide, as you pointed out. 

That doesn't make it right or acceptable.

It is not "willful blindness," it is just a different way of looking at things.

Also, I am not calling racism "normal." I am calling normal the human traits that you consider racism and I don't. The real issue is that the Left constantly needs to reinvent the definitions of racism (among other things) in order to have enough victims to represent. "Avoiding eye contact" is these days considered racism. Perpetrating and peddling that victimhood is the major disservice to the groups they claim they want to protect.

Btw, what exactly do you consider "racism" in Chicago?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #5688 on: August 27, 2017, 04:35:33 pm »

We went off on a tangent about militia about a week ago, then I came across this podcast about them (about 45 min long): http://www.npr.org/2017/08/23/545509627/armed-militias-face-off-with-the-antifa-in-the-new-landscape-of-political-protes.
--
Robert

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5689 on: August 27, 2017, 06:43:23 pm »

Typical, in his zeal to undo anything Obama, Trump just signed an order rescinding Obama-era flood standards. While it wouldn't have any impact on today's hurricane Harvey flooding, it will make it more likely that the future will hold more flooding problems, not less.

TRUMP RESCINDED OBAMA’S FLOOD RISK RULES WEEKS BEFORE HURRICANE HARVEY HIT

Donald Trump signed away Obama-era flood standards just weeks before Hurricane Harvey hit Texas in a bid to get infrastructure projects approved more quickly.

The rule signed by former president Barack Obama in 2015 had not yet come into effect but aimed to make infrastructure more resilient to the effects of climate change, such as rising sea levels and flooding.

Those who backed Obama’s rules believed they would make people safer by putting roads, bridges and other infrastructure on safer ground, NPR reported, but Trump rescinded the rule several weeks ago in an attempt to speed up the time it takes for infrastructure projects to be approved.

Obama's regulations meant roads, buildings and other infrastructure needed to be constructed to take climate change into account and be built to withstand the effects of such climate change, including rising sea levels in coastal areas.

But Trump believed the rule would slow down the permitting process. The president favored a faster route for infrastructure building, which he announced with an executive order signed several weeks ago—the latest in a series of Obama-era climate change policies to get the boot.

--snip--

Former director of public affairs at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Rafael Lemaitre told the news service at the time that Trump was undoing "the most significant action taken in a generation" to protect infrastructure from climate change.

"Eliminating this requirement is self-defeating; we can either build smarter now, or put taxpayers on the hook to pay exponentially more when it floods. And it will," he added.

texshooter

« Reply #5690 on: August 27, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »

The psychosis continues.

Catholic school tears down Baby Jesus statues for being too racist.

What's next? The Little Mermaid?

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/08/26/too-alienating-catholic-school-removes-statues-of-the-virgin-mary-and-jesus-n2373209

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5691 on: August 27, 2017, 09:04:42 pm »

To preempt Jeff  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5692 on: August 27, 2017, 09:12:37 pm »

The psychosis continues.

Catholic school tears down Baby Jesus statues for being too racist.

What's next?...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5693 on: August 27, 2017, 09:34:15 pm »

Similar things are occurring in Canada, Germany, and some other West European countries.
There is a recent book on the subject of political correctness - Political correctness and the destruction of social order : chronicling the rise of the pristine self

This book develops a psychoanalytic theory of political correctness and the pristine self, which is defined as a self touched by nothing but love. It explores the damage that political correctness can do to social order. Applications include the breakdown of social capital, the financial crisis, and Occupy Wall Street. Long an issue for conservatives, alarm over political correctness has now spread to the liberal side of the political spectrum. As Schwartz argues, all have reason to be concerned. Schwartz discusses the primitive roots of political correctness and, through the use of case studies, shows its capacity for ruination.
The psychology that underlies political correctness has the potential to be extremely destructive to social organization on every level.

The book is quite expensive at $95US (I wonder why so pricey), but you can look at the Summary and Table Of Contents through the Amazon Look Inside feature:
https://www.amazon.com/Political-Correctness-Destruction-Social-Order/dp/3319398040/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503883608&sr=1-1&keywords=political+correctness+and+the+destruction+of+social+order

texshooter

« Reply #5694 on: August 27, 2017, 09:44:43 pm »

I thought "cultural diversity" meant just that.

Not anymore.

“We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us.” -Borg

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:39:00 pm by texshooter »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5695 on: August 27, 2017, 09:47:34 pm »

The "per capita" argument is not to punish the US, it's just to point a US citizen has the highest CO2 emission vs. citizens of other countries. You're still double that of Europe, so don't claim you need to go back to the dark ages, meeting them halfway is fine. Keep working your energy efficiency because there's still lots of room for improvement.
Your argument to link it to GDP is also not right, that means an old economy with much higher wages would be allowed more CO2 then a developing economy with lower wages, that ain't right.
Your other argument, deduct the CO2 emissions for exports and allocate those to the countries that import the goods I like, but realize it will make the US look worse and China better :P

Here's a good article why Europe is greener than America.  To quote from it: "But we live in a country with big houses. Big cars. Big commutes. Central Air. Big fridges and separate freezers. Clothes dryers. Disposable razors."
http://e360.yale.edu/features/what_makes_europe_greener_than_the_us

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5696 on: August 27, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »

Similar things are occurring in Canada, Germany, and some other West European countries.
There is a recent book on the subject of political correctness - Political correctness and the destruction of social order : chronicling the rise of the pristine self

The book is quite expensive at $95US (I wonder why so pricey), but you can look at the Summary and Table Of Contents through the Amazon Look Inside feature:
https://www.amazon.com/Political-Correctness-Destruction-Social-Order/dp/3319398040/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503883608&sr=1-1&keywords=political+correctness+and+the+destruction+of+social+order

I disagree with the premise of the book.  Save your $95.  Political Correctness eliminates freedom not social order.  It solidifies social order.   If you take PC to it's maximum, you get totalitarianism, the maximum in social order.  It works if you want to live in towns controlled by ISIS or in Afghanistan under the Taliban.  Political Correctness creates maximum social order and minimum freedom of expression.  That's why being politically correct is so bad in our countries.  It shuts down individual thought and concepts different than what the powers to be feel should be the social norm. 

The Left in America only believes in free speech if it supports their position.  They don't want to hear opposing views.  It's like when posters here have blocked my posts holding their hands over their ears and closing their eyes.  Book burning is next.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:03:37 pm by Alan Klein »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5697 on: August 27, 2017, 10:03:29 pm »

I disagree with the premise of the book.  Save your $95.  Political Correctness eliminates freedom not social order.  It solidifies social order.   If you take PC to it's maximum, you get totalitarianism, the maximum in social order.  It works if you want to live in towns control by ISIS or in Afghanistan under the Taliban.  Political Correctness creates maximum social order and minimum freedom of expression.  That's why being political correct is so bad in our countries.  It shuts down individual thought and concepts different than what the powers to be feel should be the social norm. 

The Left in America only believes in free speech if it supports their position.  They don't want to hear opposing views.  It's like when posters here have blocked my posts holding their hands over their ears and closing their eyes.  Book burning is next.

The book is against Political Correctness, not for it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5698 on: August 27, 2017, 10:08:45 pm »

The book is against Political Correctness, not for it.

Oh.  OK. You can spend your $95.  :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5699 on: August 27, 2017, 10:15:03 pm »

Oh.  OK. You can spend your $95.  :)

No need to spend $95 and even more so when that price tag is in US currency. In Canada, we already have plenty of PC news and rules.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:31:06 pm by LesPalenik »
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 331   Go Up