Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918325 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Trump II
« Reply #5660 on: August 27, 2017, 02:50:46 am »

I understand how they get them to America or Canada.  But you still have country shipping or mailing.  Even 2nd rate postage costs something.  They would have to subsidize the whole thing. 

Reminds me of the joke about the company who was losing a dollar on every piece they sold.  When the investors asked the president what he was going to do to turn it around, he told them they'd make it up in volume.

As Phil said, they might be trying to increase volume (or number of orders) to fill the whole container.

I ordered such a lens cap at one time, and as I recollect it was delivered in a small envelope with a Chinese stamp which would indicate that it was mailed from China to Canada by the postal system (China Post and Canada). Maybe China Post ships it in bulk to Canada, and Canada Post opens the container and sorts the parcels and envelopes by the postal code. BTW, the cheapest letter rate by Canada Post is 85 cents, so it wouldn't make sense to send a bulk to a Canadian consolidator who would then have to pay the Canadian rates.

Farmer

« Reply #5661 on: August 27, 2017, 03:02:02 am »

As Phil said, they might be trying to increase volume (or number of orders) to fill the whole container.

I ordered such a lens cap at one time, and as I recollect it was delivered in a small envelope with a Chinese stamp which would indicate that it was mailed from China to Canada by the postal system (China Post and Canada). Maybe China Post ships it in bulk to Canada, and Canada Post opens the container and sorts the parcels and envelopes by the postal code. BTW, the cheapest letter rate by Canada Post is 85 cents, so it wouldn't make sense to send a bulk to a Canadian consolidator who would then have to pay the Canadian rates.

They, or local consolidators, often have agreements with postal or courier services for rates that are better than you and I can get.  There's also some disparity in the sense that international postal organisations have agreements on pricing that don't necessarily reflect local pricing (someone sending a letter from a very low GDP country to the US or Australia, literally may not be able to afford our domestic postal rates, but the rate they pay from their country is reasonable to them, even for international post).  It's just how it works.

And, again, these sellers are often prepared to make margins as low as 1 cent or even less - just breaking even is sufficient in some cases.
Phil Brown

Rob C

« Reply #5662 on: August 27, 2017, 04:35:24 am »

You're confusing pollution with climate change.  America has cleaned up their water and air to a very large extent. California leads the way.  If the Paris Accord didn't let China off the hook from doing mothing until 2030, maybe it would have been a reasonable deal.  Meanwhile China contributes 30% of the world's CO2 up from 27% in 2011 while America produces 14% down from 17%.

regarding pollution, Germany cheated with diesel automobiles for the last ten years causing pollution 40 times greater than the regulation limit.  We just sent one of the VW engineers to prison for 40 months.  Another one might get 7 years in jail.  We'd like to get our hands on the executives and powers that be that let this happen.  But they're hiding in Europe  protected by Chancellor Merkel.

No, I am not confusing them. They are part and parcel of the same problem, inextricably mingles threads, the one exacerbating the other.

We cannot control every result of our actions but that doesn't mean that we can't control our actions. If we can't, then we are simply out of control and something needs serious correction.

I don't think anyone, anywhere, especially somebody like me who was conned into buying the first diesel car in his life at a time he was probably buying the last car in his life, has any love for the car manufacturers. Especially when the diesel choice was at least a grand more expensive than the petrol version. But hey, whatever they do, at whatever cost to the rest of us, they are providing employment, helping the economy grow, right? What's your beef: making Germany great again, no less - just as you imagine your renewed old rust-belt, your new tundra-melting oil/gas pipes etc. are going to do for the US of A, and at the same bloody cost. If that ain't hypocricy mated to blindness, I don't know what the hell is. But I can't claim you surprise me any more. Which ain't to say you won't surprise yourself. The day you accidentally step on your tints is the day you will really, really be surprised at what you see.

And here's the chunk of irony for you: you guys will suffer as much as the rest of us. And you'll still be thinking: how did that happen? It must have been somebody else - yeah, that's what it was - India and China! Let's nuke 'em and clean it up once and for all! Break out the flags, print the slogan boards, polish the coffins!

Numbers, numbers; percentages split into lesser percentages; that's not what it is about: what it is about is takling action, unilaterally if it has to be, and do one's national bit to conserve this poor old planet in a condition which supports human life. Forget the Moon, Mars etc. Never gonna live there. Spend the money here, at home, just as your domestic voices constantly preach. So do it, save this world from which you'll never escape. Most of us are already trying our best, spending the bread to find safer ways.

Rob C

« Reply #5663 on: August 27, 2017, 05:08:16 am »

They, or local consolidators, often have agreements with postal or courier services for rates that are better than you and I can get.  There's also some disparity in the sense that international postal organisations have agreements on pricing that don't necessarily reflect local pricing (someone sending a letter from a very low GDP country to the US or Australia, literally may not be able to afford our domestic postal rates, but the rate they pay from their country is reasonable to them, even for international post).  It's just how it works.

And, again, these sellers are often prepared to make margins as low as 1 cent or even less - just breaking even is sufficient in some cases.

Yes, that's not beyond belief.

I never went to any business school nor to any accountancy classes, but I did learn this: the quest for crazy, constant growth is bullshit. In my own career, the ablity to maintain a reasonable standard of living was the goal. As long as the family was fed, as long as nobody could force me to sell our home, as long as I could replace the cars now and then before they became too expensive to keep, that was perfectly fine by me, and I didn't kill myself with regrets that the numbers didn't soar every year. Being self-employed, removed from manipulative corporate mantras, I realised that comfortable survival is where it's at. Some years I felt rich (! - another illusion) and during others I thought the world was ending. But overall, we got through it with a lot for which to be thankful, and more time as a family unit than most around us ever managed.

I really do believe that many people destroy their own lives and personal relationships in this mad rush to make more and more and more, when reasonable comfort and stability is the better option. Business zillionaires may have superyachts, they may even see them now and again; do they ever get the time to spend months enjoying them each year? I live close as dammit to a marina full of yachts - okay, not supers, most only 60ft - 82ft, but I observe this: only the crew and the gardiennage folks spend any time near them. And they almost never leave their berth. So there you are, about 1.5 million quid per pop tied up there, losing value all the time, and costing a small fortune just to retain that loss-making status.

Message? We don't need to make that sort of money in order to be happy. We don't need cellphones to monitor our daily habits; what we do need is to come to our senses and realise that life's a gift, and to screw it up is a sin against whatever the source of life may be. Greed is not good, it just sets survival higher and higher up the earnings scale and our lives the poorer for that as the work becomes the goal, not the imagined benefits from said work. In essence, the means become the end. Sad, unless you are a successful artist!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5664 on: August 27, 2017, 08:21:13 am »

My dirty little secret? I've been binge watching The West Wing

I miss Jed, Leo, Josh, Toby, Sam and CJ...I miss seeing people working in government who care and try to do the best they can even while occasionally failing–hey nobody's perfect.

I get West Wing on Netflix so it's easy to stream the episodes...I'm about 1/2 through the 2nd season so I have 4.5 seasons left...

The really interesting thing is the way the show is produced by Aaron Sorkin has such a high degree of authenticity...I don't know for the fact that West Wing is an accurate representation of any real White House, but it's was modeled loosely after Bill Clinton's–the series started in the fall of 1999 and ran through May 2006.

The Guardian did an article last year noting the 10 year period since the West Wing finale...

Ten years on from the West Wing finale, the show's shadow still looms large

Interestingly (something I either never heard about or forgot) some members of the West Wing cast actually hit the road last year for Hillary...

'West Wing' cast hits real campaign trail for Clinton

I guess it was just an Ohio thing...sadly, it didn't work :~(

But I'll tell you one thing, I would trade President Josiah Bartlet for The Big Orange Dummy™ in a heartbeat! Maybe somebody should send some DVDs to Trump and his staff for clues on how to run a White House? Yeah, I know, if t ain't Fox and Friends he likely wouldn't understand the show.

I always wanted to get into that show, but never could or could really find the time, plus I don't own a TV.  Maybe, one day, Netflix will have it. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:24:35 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #5665 on: August 27, 2017, 09:07:02 am »

I always wanted to get into that show, but never could or could really find the time, plus I don't own a TV.  Maybe, one day, Netflix will have it.

I watched it twice over one summer when I was laid up with an illness. An incredible ensemble of actors, directors, the writer, etc - real talent in depth. Getting a group as good as that together again would likely be very difficult.

Then about six months later I nearly bumped into Martin Sheen walking through the crowds on the middle of town here. It turned out he was on his way to a debate at the Oxford Union (part of the university). He was shorter and slighter than he looks on TV, which I've nearly always found to be the case when I've seen actors in the flesh, but what I warmed to was his relaxed, casual approach with no limos, security, minders and all the other BS we've been conditioned to expect as the price of fame. Most folks probably walked right past him without realising who he was.

A year later John Kelly was in town for the same reason. A street closed off, the secret service showing off their black ranincoats, a convoy of armoured vehicles, police and guns everywhere. It's not surprising some of these fellows end up mad or twisted when 99.9 per cent of humanity is presented to them as a deadly threat.
Mark @ Flickr

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #5666 on: August 27, 2017, 09:22:44 am »

I wasn't sure where to post this since it's not really on topic, but since we have touched on "freedom of speech" a few times herein, without much regard to what it actually refers to, I thought I would add this link (which contains references to further works). It has mainly Canadian and American relevance: http://induecourse.ca/freedom-of-speech-on-campus-ii/.

Also, this: http://bleedingheartlibertarians.com/2016/03/safe-spaces-academic-freedom-and-the-university-as-a-complex-association/.

I read elsewhere (maybe thehill.com?) about how that pardoned sheriff housed the people he arrested in desert tent cities and forced them to all wear pink underwear, as a method of embarrassment I presume (I assume this is true). Oh yeah, now there's a hero. Arresting people for doing something against the law is one thing, but I would have thought that enacting punishment before conviction would be "un-American"; or does that apply only to white people?

I don't know why people think that setting the bar lower and lower will improve anything.
--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5667 on: August 27, 2017, 10:39:25 am »

Cute, but really... where's your concern for the "unamerican" label the right has been tossing at anyone left of Joe McCarthy...

Has anyone on this thread tossed that label? If so, please point me in the right direction and I'll make sure the mofo gets to wear pink underwear  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5668 on: August 27, 2017, 10:44:18 am »

A king housekeeping request: please don't quote Jeff's looooong posts, with a lot of pictures and quoted text, just so that you can add a sentence of your own. Seeing Jeff's post once is more than enough  ;)

James Clark

« Reply #5669 on: August 27, 2017, 11:36:40 am »

Has anyone on this thread tossed that label? If so, please point me in the right direction and I'll make sure the mofo gets to wear pink underwear  ;)

Not that I recall offhand, but it's first cousin, "Real American" get's thrown into the mix quite frequently ;)

scyth

« Reply #5670 on: August 27, 2017, 11:39:55 am »

First off, CO2 is not a pollutant.  Higher amounts increase plant production and have no measurable effect on people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercapnia

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5671 on: August 27, 2017, 11:56:53 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercapnia

current CO2 in the atmosphere is 400 parts per million or .04% or your top line.  The point is that CO2  is a normal gas that's in the atmosphere.  It is a result of animals breathing and burning. CO2 is a gas that plants need to survive.  More actually makes them grew better  It's not a pollutant. 

Sometime you'll see photos of plastic and other garbage and pollution in water.  Then the comment will take off on climate change. The pollution they show has nothing to do with either greenhouse gases or global warming.  But the biased media has confused people into believe that pollution causes climate change.  It doesn't.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5672 on: August 27, 2017, 12:12:06 pm »

I have no idea how a serious guy like you can say that!? Of course it is the total amount, not per capita, that the Earth cares about. Say citizens of Vatican (population 451) miraculously (which wouldn't be hard for that place) reduce their CO2 emission to zero - would the Earth even notice?  In terms of the US and China, the US "per capita" emission would need to be four times as much just to equal the total one of China (and maybe it is, I do not know, but per capita is totally irrelevant concept here).

Of course, per capita arguments are to punish America and other modern societies.  Maybe we should go back to huts, shut off the electricity and have no heating or air conditioning.  Just because backwards countries are still living in the dark ages, doesn't mean modern countries who produce the worlds' products (which requires a lot of energy that burns and produces CO2) should be punished. It is we who have advanced the world so they can live longer and better.  They want to catch up to us.  We don't want to go back to them. 

The fact is you have to look what America produces for that 14% of the world's CO2 ($17 trillion GDP) vs. China with 30% of the world's CO2 and only $10 trillion of GDP.  So China produces 4 times the CO2 then America does for each dollar of GDP.  Who's effecting greenhouse gases more?  Yet, Paris Accord does not require China to implement any changes until 2030.  What a stupid plan.  It's only there to punish America.  Of course, Obama agreed because he was a jerk trying to get the world to love him and leave a "legacy".  Obama is the egotist, not Trump.  Trump smartly dumped it.  He only cares about America.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5673 on: August 27, 2017, 12:13:05 pm »

Not that I recall offhand, but it's first cousin, "Real American" get's thrown into the mix quite frequently ;)

For a recent outsider like me, "Real Americans" are: John Wayne, sheriff Arpaio, Alan Klein :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5674 on: August 27, 2017, 12:16:13 pm »

In thinking about it, a ratio of CO2 production to GDP is certainly better than per capita.  After all, a lot of the production is shipped overseas to other countries who then consume the products. They should absorb the calculation of CO2 use, not the producing country.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5675 on: August 27, 2017, 12:18:12 pm »

For a recent outsider like me, "Real Americans" are: John Wayne, sheriff Arpaio, Alan Klein :)

Well, thanks Pilgram.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5676 on: August 27, 2017, 12:23:08 pm »

Fake news, fake Americans; you get the idea.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5677 on: August 27, 2017, 12:30:18 pm »

I'll post this before Jeff does. At least it is a cuter presentation of the liberal criticism of Trump :)

https://www.facebook.com/theparodyproject/videos/139213316683714/

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5678 on: August 27, 2017, 12:52:51 pm »

... I vehemently disagree with some of your opinions and consider some of your expressions of those views to be absurd - that's at the extreme end and I'm sure others feel the way about me at times (all the time?), too - but mostly you at least make or attempt to make cogent arguments and actually engage with your "opponents" (really, for want of a better term)...

You mean like proclaiming Arpaio a "real American hero"? Yeah, I went overboard with that one. I should have stopped at "real."  :)

I assume the other "absurd" statement of mine is there are no racial problems in the U.S. (except for the made up ones, for political purposes). I stand by that. I accept your criticism that I should not ask for a broader view on the freedom of speech, and yet insist on purely legislative views on racism. Fair enough. But even in that case, I stand by my assertion. In the given examples (names, traffic stops), I wonder why is that labeled as an American problem? It is universal, world over, from Europe to Asia, from Netherlands to Indonesia. And if it is universal, it is actually, as I already asserted, a normal part of human nature (that we like those who are like us - I can quote you studies to support that, if you insist). Besides, I further assert, it is not racial, based on the color of the skin, but (sub)cultural and statistical.

scyth

« Reply #5679 on: August 27, 2017, 12:57:03 pm »

current CO2 in the atmosphere is 400 parts per million or .04% or your top line.  The point is that CO2  is a normal gas that's in the atmosphere.  It is a result of animals breathing and burning. CO2 is a gas that plants need to survive.  More actually makes them grew better  It's not a pollutant. 

Sometime you'll see photos of plastic and other garbage and pollution in water.  Then the comment will take off on climate change. The pollution they show has nothing to do with either greenhouse gases or global warming.  But the biased media has confused people into believe that pollution causes climate change.  It doesn't.

Alan, you made a broad statement w/o any fine print, claiming that CO2 is not a toxic at all ... but it is... it is like claiming that polonium that we used to get rid of the rat is not toxic when there is just one atom of it  ;D... so digest the info and move on....
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 331   Go Up