Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918091 times)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Trump II
« Reply #4820 on: August 09, 2017, 12:17:44 pm »

First off, Presidents don't win elections by the popular vote.  It's the electoral vote that counts.  That's why all those maps of the 50 states on TV where the pundits explained over and over again for months how there was no chance for Trump to win electorally was the main mistake.    Trump actually won 306-232 electoral votes or 57%-43%.   The way the experts had the electoral votes going, Hillary should have won 60%-40%. 

Also, the so-called "minimal" 70,000 vote margin Trump had in the key states of Michigan, Wisconsin,  and Pennsylvania, are deceiving.  Clinton should have won those states by a million votes.  So what happened was that over a million traditional Democrats switched sides in those three key states, not just the 70,000 the media keeps referring too.  So the press should be talking about how 1,070,000 voters made the difference, not 70,000.  But as usual, they're distorting the results by only talking about the 70,000 to make his win in those three states seem less impressive than it was. 

In any case, if Clinton actually won those three states, the final electoral results would have been only 274 Clinton to 264 Trump or electorally 50.7% Clinton to 49.3% Trump, much, much less than her predicted landslide.  She had been expected to win with 335 electoral votes or over 60% of the electoral vote.  That means that she also didn't win many other states  where she had been expected to do better.

Like you said, the commentary was "out of wack and wishful thinking".
Yes, I know all those details, which is my main reason for calling it that way. No need to teach your grandmother to suck eggs ;)

The way the polls were commented on in the media might even have helped Trump, it made Clinton voters feel secure and not vote while it encouraged Trump voters to go out and vote. You never can be sure but it was a cardinal mistake of the Clinton campaign to neglect certain states which they though they would win but lost in the end because they didn't read the sentiments there well enough.
pieter, aka pegelli

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4821 on: August 09, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »

Trump still wants to treat addiction like a crime instead of a disease–which is backward and reminiscent of the stupid "Just Say No" approach of Nancy Reagan.

Addiction is both a mental and physical disease and should be treated like a medical condition not unlike type 2 diabetes or medical conditions caused by environmental rather than genetic conditions. It would seem that Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price might have a friggin' clue since he's a former medical professional (orthopedic surgeon). His background is, ironically one of the primary sources of opioid addiction caused by over prescription of opioid pain relievers.

So, rather than declare a health emergency, Trump is just gonna step up law enforcement and strengthening security on the southern border to stop illegal drugs–which isn't really doesn't address the problems of medically induced addiction caused by over prescribing...but hey, wave your hands and look busy is always easier than actually doing something useful.

Trump says he'll beat opioid epidemic with law-and-order approach

Pretty sure 2015 & 2016 deaths have risen considerably...

Oh, so it's an emergency, but not serious enough to declare it as such.

Stop drug use by stepping up border controls? Is this some kind of joke? The reason drugs are crossing the border is not because those evil foreigners want to pollute America with drugs, it's because there is a demand for them. Could anything be more obvious.

The war on drugs is an utter failure, time to change tactics. A lot of the rest of the world, and many americans (maybe even most) realize this.

After 2 generations of the "tough on crime" approach to drugs, nobody can even keep drugs out of prisons, where the doors are locked and there are CCTV cameras above each entrance/exit and we know everyone who goes in and out. This is pure farce.
--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4822 on: August 09, 2017, 01:27:11 pm »

... Addiction is both a mental and physical disease and should be treated like a medical condition not unlike type 2 diabetes...

Oh, dear Lord! Another knee-jerk reaction of the left, when everything can be blamed on somebody or something else, never a personal responsibility. It is a self-inflicted wound, just like alcoholism, smoking, obesity, etc.

My solution: legalize all drugs. If you want to kill yourself, go ahead.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4823 on: August 09, 2017, 01:57:12 pm »

How Does the federal government stop the desire to use drugs? Basically,  its main capability centers  around enforcement. Stopping drugs at the border or stopping interstatet distribution of drugs. I suppose they can also tweak drug regulations regarding legal prescriptions of opiates.  I believe The federal government also provides funding to the states for treatment programs.

But the rest is up to the states and local communities. Judges send violaters to treatment programs, detox centers, rehabs, 12 step programs, but all of these require that the individuals want to be helped.   Local police do much of the hard work in arresting the criminals who sell the drugs locally. The feds aren't involved.

What is your solution?  Should we allow open sales of opiods,  meth, heroin, etc,  ?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4824 on: August 09, 2017, 03:27:42 pm »

Handling the "drug problem" through the criminal courts has been an abject failure. A spectacular abject failure by any measure. Almost anything else is better, maybe even doing nothing, i.e., let anybody buy and use whatever they like.

Many jurisdictions around the world are showing some success (e.g., Portugal), at much less cost, by removing drugs from the criminal realm and regulating their access, the way you don't let underage kids into adult movies or not allowing them to buy liquor. As much as Slobodan dislikes the "loonie left" language of the medical model, he is in fact agreeing with that idea and is advocating the same thing in the end, though he may not realize it. For the harder drugs, heroin and so on, regulated dispensing stations where addicts can obtain the drug and use it in a safe place seem to work fine where they've been tried. This approach eliminates two things, criminal gangs and the need for addicts to commit crimes to maintain their addiction. You could argue that these are the only two real issues with the drug trade that affects the wider society, i.e., non-users.

Of course, all those for-profit prison corporations may not like it much, but they're funded by tax money in the end, so if they go away, who cares? I'm sure that most people will agree that corporations that are funded by government that don't do anything useful should not exist.

In Alan's last post above he asks, "What is your solution?  Should we allow open sales of opiods,  meth, heroin, etc,  ?", I would reply that's what we have now anyway. Who is kidding who? You (and me) and everyone else reading this board can probably obtain any illegal substance you choose with a couple of phone calls. The notion that police action has, in any way, even slowed down the availability of drugs in the last 50 years is farce. I can recall a supply teacher in 1968 in Montreal asking some of the students where he could score. The M.B.A. general manager of the office in my first job went around asking where he could get some, and he was a pillar of the business community.

The quaint notion that drugs are these evil things that evil people are poisoning our society with is absurd. It was and is just supply and demand, and there is a HUGE demand, except that it's run by criminal gangs. Drugs are supposedly illegal in nearly all countries, yet there exists a huge international trade in illegal drugs that keeps growing every year and that in some countries has produced gangs that rival governments in power. How has that happened at the same time as we've had a worldwide "war on drugs"? The "tough on crime" approach to drug control is not even trending in the right direction, let alone working. And it costs a ton of money.

One thing is certain. What we've been doing up till now will never make things better, not for the users and not for the larger culture.
--
Robert

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4825 on: August 09, 2017, 03:36:53 pm »

Oh, dear Lord! Another knee-jerk reaction of the left, when everything can be blamed on somebody or something else, never a personal responsibility. It is a self-inflicted wound, just like alcoholism, smoking, obesity, etc.

So, Slobodan, where did you get your medical license?

Have you ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol Slobodan?

Ever had a friend or family member die from addiction?

Ever been through a rehab?

Ever studied addiction and the causes of addiction?

Ever studied the mesolimbic dopamine system?

Ever seen active MRI's of an addict's brain under the influence?

Do you have even a half of a clue of what you are talking about?

Once somebody crosses the line of addiction, no amount of wishing or hoping or thinking can keep an addict from taking drugs or alcohol. The dopamine system takes control over the dopaminergic pathway in the brain. The pathway connects the ventral tegmental area, which is located in the midbrain, to the nucleus accumbens. This is the most primitive portion of the brain and completely overpowers the more recently developed forebrain of the cerebral cortex-the "thinking" or logical part of the brain. It basically means you lose the ability to think logically.

Ya see Slobodan, once somebody's mesolimbic dopamine system has been compromised by addiction, there's nothing the thinking portion of the brain can do to control the addiction. That's why normal people think addicts are so weak and can't control their thinking...because they no longer have the physical capability to do so...not unless they get help both medically as well as psychologically.

Your backwards and primitive perception of the problem is the real problem. You want to treat addicts as criminals as apposed to mentally and physically ill.

I know about addiction and alcoholism because I've been personally effected by alcoholism and I also had a roommate die from his addiction. So, unless you can prove to me that you have half a clue about this, you might just want to back off this subject...until you learn what addiction and alcoholism really is.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4826 on: August 09, 2017, 03:50:00 pm »

Handling the "drug problem" through the criminal courts has been an abject failure. A spectacular abject failure by any measure. Almost anything else is better, maybe even doing nothing, i.e., let anybody buy and use whatever they like.

Many jurisdictions around the world are showing some success (e.g., Portugal), at much less cost, by removing drugs from the criminal realm and regulating their access, the way you don't let underage kids into adult movies or not allowing them to buy liquor. As much as Slobodan dislikes the "loonie left" language of the medical model, he is in fact agreeing with that idea and is advocating the same thing in the end, though he may not realize it. For the harder drugs, heroin and so on, regulated dispensing stations where addicts can obtain the drug and use it in a safe place seem to work fine where they've been tried. This approach eliminates two things, criminal gangs and the need for addicts to commit crimes to maintain their addiction. You could argue that these are the only two real issues with the drug trade that affects the wider society, i.e., non-users.

Of course, all those for-profit prison corporations may not like it much, but they're funded by tax money in the end, so if they go away, who cares? I'm sure that most people will agree that corporations that are funded by government that don't do anything useful should not exist.

In Alan's last post above he asks, "What is your solution?  Should we allow open sales of opiods,  meth, heroin, etc,  ?", I would reply that's what we have now anyway. Who is kidding who? You (and me) and everyone else reading this board can probably obtain any illegal substance you choose with a couple of phone calls. The notion that police action has, in any way, even slowed down the availability of drugs in the last 50 years is farce. I can recall a supply teacher in 1968 in Montreal asking some of the students where he could score. The M.B.A. general manager of the office in my first job went around asking where he could get some, and he was a pillar of the business community.

The quaint notion that drugs are these evil things that evil people are poisoning our society with is absurd. It was and is just supply and demand, and there is a HUGE demand, except that it's run by criminal gangs. Drugs are supposedly illegal in nearly all countries, yet there exists a huge international trade in illegal drugs that keeps growing every year and that in some countries has produced gangs that rival governments in power. How has that happened at the same time as we've had a worldwide "war on drugs"? The "tough on crime" approach to drug control is not even trending in the right direction, let alone working. And it costs a ton of money.

One thing is certain. What we've been doing up till now will never make things better, not for the users and not for the larger culture.

Regarding "criminal courts are an abject failure".   You're wrong.  First, they get pushers off the street and punish them for hurting society.  Second, criminal courts have taken a modern approach to users and minors violators who use as well.  They mandate them to detoxes, rehabs, and 12 step programs or jail.  Many choose the former to stay out of jail.  It helps many get off the drugs (and alcohol, a legal substance,  if they've been arrested for drunk driving).  But of course, many will relapse.  The point is, criminal courts are not an "abject failure", at least not where I live in New Jersey.  Many jurisdictions today have moved on to this enlightened approach of helping rather than jailing.  I guess you haven't heard about it.

Regarding government provided drugs, I'm morally and ethically against it.  Government should not be in the business of providing substances that hurt citizens and will kill many.  If someone wants to kill themselves using drugs, let them buy it illegally.  I don't want my tax money being spent to kill other people.   

Schewe

« Reply #4827 on: August 09, 2017, 03:54:51 pm »

How Does the federal government stop the desire to use drugs? Basically,  its main capability centers  around enforcement. Stopping drugs at the border or stopping interstatet distribution of drugs. I suppose they can also tweak drug regulations regarding legal prescriptions of opiates.

I guess you didn't bother to read the chart in the article I posted? Look at the deaths due to PRESCRIPTION OPIODS...notice something? The majority of the deaths are due to prescription drugs dummy, not the drugs smuggled over the border.

And if you had half a clue, the vast majority of the opioid drugs being smuggled is NOT heroin, it's fentanyl and it ain't coming over the border just from Mexico, it's coming over from Canada as "legal" precursor chemicals from China and being chemically converted to fentanyl in a very, very dangerous manner by amateur chemists who prolly don't have a clue about proper pharmaceutical procedures and likely make the drugs so strong you can overdose just by topical contamination–which is happening to cops who raid drug houses. In fact some police jurisdictions are not letting officers field test drugs because of the risk and have to wait till the drug teams get into place to test the drugs safely.

Naw, sorry bud...this is an area where you and Slobodan are woefully ignorant–as Trump himself is.

One would have thought that Price would have had a clue but it's his type of doctor that is responsible for over-prescribing opioids in the first place. Kids and adults with injuries get pain killers, then get addicted and buy heroin or fentanyl because it so much cheaper than legal prescriptions on the street.

Heroin used to be an inner-city black problem, now it's a suburban and rural white problem. Trump had promised to deal with the opioid epidemic while on the campaign trail but now that he's in office, somehow the emergency is not a national crisis, just something that can be dealt with by stronger enforcement.

Wonder what all those Trump voters with strung out kids that expected Trump to help them will think of that as a solution? They gonna be happy with better drug enforcement and locking their kids away instead of treating them for the disease of addiction?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:58:08 pm by Schewe »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4828 on: August 09, 2017, 04:10:33 pm »

Regarding "criminal courts are an abject failure".   You're wrong.  First, they get pushers off the street and punish them for hurting society.

The police and the courts have done nothing of the kind. We would have run out of drug dealers a long time ago if that were true, or if it was even just trending in that direction.

You're still calling them "pushers". They're "sellers" responding to a demand, a huge demand.

Regarding government provided drugs, I'm morally and ethically against it.  Government should not be in the business of providing substances that hurt citizens and will kill many.  If someone wants to kill themselves using drugs, let them buy it illegally.  I don't want my tax money being spent to kill other people.

Hard to know what to say to this. For someone who claims strong spiritual beliefs, it's an odd position to take. People who become addicts are not evil-doers who deserve to die. They're probably your neighbours.

When a problem gets big enough that it cannot be resolved by other means, you don't think that the government has a role to play? What an odd position, since it would be cheaper and more effective than the way governments are handling the issue now. Anyway your governments and mine oversee all kinds of things now that may possibly harm people, gambling, over the counter and prescription drugs, tobacco, alcohol.

You already have a free market in drugs, they're everywhere, in every suburb, everywhere. The idea that the police and courts can stop anything that big is unrealistic.

They can't keep drugs out of prisons !

--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4829 on: August 09, 2017, 04:11:30 pm »

I guess you didn't bother to read the chart in the article I posted? Look at the deaths due to PRESCRIPTION OPIODS...notice something? The majority of the deaths are due to prescription drugs dummy, not the drugs smuggled over the border.

And if you had half a clue, the vast majority of the opioid drugs being smuggled is NOT heroin, it's fentanyl and it ain't coming over the border just from Mexico, it's coming over from Canada as "legal" precursor chemicals from China and being chemically converted to fentanyl in a very, very dangerous manner by amateur chemists who prolly don't have a clue about proper pharmaceutical procedures and likely make the drugs so strong you can overdose just by topical contamination–which is happening to cops who raid drug houses. In fact some police jurisdictions are not letting officers field test drugs because of the risk and have to wait till the drug teams get into place to test the drugs safely.

Naw, sorry bud...this is an area where you and Slobodan are woefully ignorant–as Trump himself is.

One would have thought that Price would have had a clue but it's his type of doctor that is responsible for over-prescribing opioids in the first place. Kids and adults with injuries get pain killers, then get addicted and buy heroin or fentanyl because it so much cheaper than legal prescriptions on the street.

Heroin used to be an inner-city black problem, now it's a suburban and rural white problem. Trump had promised to deal with the opioid epidemic while on the campaign trail but now that he's in office, somehow the emergency is not a national crisis, just something that can be dealt with by stronger enforcement.

Wonder what all those Trump voters with strung out kids that expected Trump to help them will think of that as a solution? They gonna be happy with better drug enforcement and locking their kids away instead of treating them for the disease of addiction?
Jeff, you quoted me but didn't read what you quoted.  I said, "...I suppose they (the Feds) can also tweak drug regulations regarding legal prescriptions of opiates."  I recognize the major issue with people getting addicted to opiods due to legal prescriptions.  Doctors seem to be handing out these prescriptions like candy.  Since government controls this area, they may be able to implement some sort of policy that prevents initial addiction by reducing prescription or dosage.    I know many people need these prescriptions.  So I don't know how this best could be handled by the feds and doctors.  But I do recognize the issue.  Also, if they can come up with a workable procedure, that would alleviate the downstream problem since unaddicted people don't buy drugs on the street.   You really need to slow down before calling me a "dummy" and "woefully ignorant".    Your vile insults are really getting over the top.   Especially when we're on the same page. 

Schewe

« Reply #4830 on: August 09, 2017, 04:15:48 pm »

Paul Manafort: FBI raided home of former Trump chairman

The FBI has conducted a pre-dawn raid on the Virginia home of Donald Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, his spokesman confirmed.

Federal agents are said to have seized files and other material on 26 July, a day after Mr Manafort voluntarily met the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Mr Manafort left the Trump campaign over questions about his foreign ties.

The FBI is leading one of several investigations into alleged Russian meddling in last year's US election.

Special counsel Robert Mueller, who heads up the FBI investigation, left Mr Manafort's Alexandria home with "various records", the Washington Post first reported.

A day before the raid, Mr Manafort voluntarily met a congressional panel that is also investigating Russia's alleged influence on the 2016 election.

Analysts say the search warrant suggests investigators wanted to be sure Mr Manafort would hand over all records in response to a grand jury subpoena.

Federal agents searched for tax documents and foreign bank records, US media reported.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4831 on: August 09, 2017, 04:17:08 pm »

Uh ho...does Trump think God is on our side?

Evangelical Adviser: God Has OK'd Trump to 'Take Out' Kim

So, Trump has God's permission? Does anybody else think this is creepy? Who is Trump listening to, his generals or his religious advisors?

The thing that worries me most about this kind of spiritual advice is that we are always forced to rely on self-declared middle-men, various preachers of one kind or another. Shouldn't we insist on hearing from the creator directly on the really important stuff, like nuclear war for instance.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4832 on: August 09, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »

The police and the courts have done nothing of the kind. We would have run out of drug dealers a long time ago if that were true, or if it was even just trending in that direction.

You're still calling them "pushers". They're "sellers" responding to a demand, a huge demand.

Hard to know what to say to this. For someone who claims strong spiritual beliefs, it's an odd position to take. People who become addicts are not evil-doers who deserve to die. They're probably your neighbours.

When a problem gets big enough that it cannot be resolved by other means, you don't think that the government has a role to play? What an odd position, since it would be cheaper and more effective than the way governments are handling the issue now. Anyway your governments and mine oversee all kinds of things now that may possibly harm people, gambling, over the counter and prescription drugs, tobacco, alcohol.

You already have a free market in drugs, they're everywhere, in every suburb, everywhere. The idea that the police and courts can stop anything that big is unrealistic.

They can't keep drugs out of prisons !

Well, thanks for cherry picking my post.  You totally ignored my second point how the courts help addicts and alcoholics by mandating them to rehabilitation instead of jail.  That doesn't make courts as you said an "abject failure".  Many of these addicts and alcoholics recover and live sober, productive lives.  By passing out government provided drugs or not punishing them, they would  have no incentive to try to get better.  Government and we the people would condemn them to addiction for the rest of their lives.  To me, that's the immoral concept. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4833 on: August 09, 2017, 04:28:56 pm »

Well, thanks for cherry picking my post.  You totally ignored my second point how the courts help addicts and alcoholics by mandating them to rehabilitation instead of jail.  That doesn't make courts as you said an "abject failure".  Many of these addicts and alcoholics recover and live sober, productive lives.  By passing out government provided drugs or not punishing them, they would  have no incentive to try to get better.  Government and we the people would condemn them to addiction for the rest of their lives.  To me, that's the immoral concept.

Don't misrepresent things. The government agencies who supply these services do not simply pump the stuff into people's arms to make a profit. They are all part of larger rehabilitation projects, probably the same ones that you're so gung-ho about.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4834 on: August 09, 2017, 04:43:22 pm »

Don't misrepresent things. The government agencies who supply these services do not simply pump the stuff into people's arms to make a profit. They are all part of larger rehabilitation projects, probably the same ones that you're so gung-ho about.
If government provides a choice to addicts, to either go to a rehab or government will give them free drugs, what do you suppose the addicts will choose?   Of course, they'll choose free drugs and we'll be condemning them to a lifetime of addiction.  I wouldn't want to pay for that immoral plan. 

However, I would go along with the government providing temporary drugs while the addict is in a rehab to help him detox.  But that's a short time situation not a lifetime of free drugs.

Schewe

« Reply #4835 on: August 09, 2017, 04:47:58 pm »

I said, "...I suppose they (the Feds) can also tweak drug regulations regarding legal prescriptions of opiates."

TWEAK??? Are you kidding? Obama and the DEA already seriously tightened the screws on opioid prescriptions–which ironically has lead to the problem that people who become addicted to legally prescribed opioids then turn to illegal heroin and street fentanyl because the legal prescriptions are now so hard to get.

What the Feds (read DEA, FDA, CDC, AMA) need to put much tighter controls over the prescription pain market while still making sure the people who need them get them but also medially help the percent of people who become addicted–which can happen with a single prescription in some people.

The Feds need to approach the problem of drug addiction as a medical problem, not a legal problem. You can lock up all the drug dealers and addicts and the medical profession will create new addicts each day. When new addicts are created, new dealers will provide the addicts what they need.

Much of this could be mitigated if society understood the problem better and dealt with the problem in a medically humane manner. But sadly, it ain't free. Medicaid (something the GOP was trying to cut) handles many of the payments to the state run rehab centers–which are over crowded and underfunded as it is.

I suspect that's exactly why Trump ignored the interim report prepared for the Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis that said:

The first and most urgent recommendation of this Commission is direct and completely within your control. Declare a national emergency under either the Public Health Service Act or the Stafford Act. With approximately 142 Americans dying every day, America is enduring a death toll equal to September 11th every three weeks. After September 11th, our President and our nation banded together to use every tool at our disposal to prevent any further American deaths. Your declaration would empower your cabinet to take bold steps and would force Congress to focus on funding and empowering the Executive Branch even further to deal with this loss of life. It would also awaken every American to this simple fact: if this scourge has not found you or your family yet, without bold action by everyone, it soon will. You, Mr. President, are the only person who can bring this type of intensity to the emergency and we believe you have the will to do so and to do so immediately.

So, Trump creates a commission then choses to ignore their most urgent recommendation of the commission?

Sorry if you were offended by my language, but this is a very serious problem that has directly impacted me and my family so unless you can show some actual knowledge and personal experience on this problem, I will consider your opinions less than fully informed. This problem isn't about "opinions" it's abut knowledge and experience and the facts. And in this subject I know a lot more than both you and Slobodan and I'll tell you that supporting Trump in his ill-informed and ignorant position is doing a great disservice to all those addicts out there suffering...

Schewe

« Reply #4836 on: August 09, 2017, 04:49:00 pm »

Translation:  Have at it hoss, but clean up your own sh*t.

You got anything even mildly useful to say on the subject?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4837 on: August 09, 2017, 04:58:53 pm »

... Once somebody crosses the line of addiction...

There you go. That's all someone needs to know about addiction. Don't cross. I didn't.

And where did you find that I advocate treating addicts like criminals? I specifically said "legitimize all drugs." That would take the crime out on both sides, suppliers and users.

Schewe

« Reply #4838 on: August 09, 2017, 05:01:48 pm »

This was written Aug 1st...but sadly it seems New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who chairs President Trump’s opioid commission was unable to convince Trump of the importance of declaring a national emergency under either the Public Health Service Act or the Stafford Act...

Trump’s Opioid Commission Listened To Public Health Experts

President Trump’s drug commission says the opioids epidemic has become a national crisis that requires aggressive federal action to improve treatment and collect better data. Those conclusions line up with the views of many health policy researchers.

After missing its deadline twice, Trump’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis on Monday presented an interim report of policy recommendations for handling the nation’s opioid epidemic. The commission’s preliminary recommendations are largely in line with those of many public health advocates: The report emphasizes treatment over law enforcement; backs the use of medical alternatives to heroin such as methadone; and makes no mention of Trump’s border wall, which the president has often touted as a way to stop the flow of drugs into the country. Perhaps most significantly, the commission called on the president to declare a national emergency under either the Public Service Health Act or Stafford Act. Doing so would give the government the power to respond more aggressively to the crisis, including by modifying requirements for health care programs like Medicaid and Medicare to make it easier for patients to seek treatment for addiction.

“I think finally this is a high-level message to say we are in a crisis, that we’ve moved beyond epidemic to a crisis,” said Daniel Ciccarone, who is a professor at the University of California, San Francisco’s medical school and studies heroin use. “The commission clearly understands that and clearly wants to send the signal to the president to concur with them.”

If you want to have a real (and useful) conversation on this subject, it would be useful to read the actual interim report which is available as a PDF HERE.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4839 on: August 09, 2017, 05:02:12 pm »

TWEAK??? Are you kidding? Obama and the DEA already seriously tightened the screws on opioid prescriptions–which ironically has lead to the problem that people who become addicted to legally prescribed opioids then turn to illegal heroin and street fentanyl because the legal prescriptions are now so hard to get.

What the Feds (read DEA, FDA, CDC, AMA) need to put much tighter controls over the prescription pain market while still making sure the people who need them get them but also medially help the percent of people who become addicted–which can happen with a single prescription in some people...
  I don't understand why you're arguing with me.    My "tweaking" comment has to do with the feds doing something to help the legal prescription problem that leads to illegal use of street drugs.  So we agree on that point.  I don't know exactly what they should do.  You post doesn't describe it either exept in general terms.  If you a specific solution, I'd love to hear it.  Frankly, I think it's a difficult problem that won't find an easy solution. 
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 331   Go Up