Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918488 times)

Farmer

Re: Trump II
« Reply #4700 on: August 04, 2017, 09:58:25 pm »

But I do care about another Aussie politician, Cleaver Greene. Awesome dude!  ;)

Hah :-)
Phil Brown

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4701 on: August 05, 2017, 12:43:26 am »

Meanwhile the topic of this thread is now on VaCa (prolly gonna get a lot of golf in) but we're still stuck with the #BigOrageDummy as president so I'm still examining just why he's such a terrible president. This article puts forth a pretty good argument (and it ain't from the #FAKENEWS biased MSM).

Donald Trump, meet the Founding Fathers

AUGUST 4, 2017  WASHINGTON—America’s senators scattered to the winds for their summer recess on Thursday, leaving behind a big unfinished agenda and a peeved president.

The chief executive has lambasted lawmakers for failing to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, for their investigations into Russia and his campaign, for their arcane voting rules, and for passing sanctions legislation against Russia.

He took a parting shot in a tweet Thursday morning, saying “You can thank Congress” for a US-Russia relationship that is at an “all-time & very dangerous low.”

President Trump may think his problem is with members of Congress and the way they run things. In one sense, the decisions and behaviors of individuals in Washington – not least, himself – account for his threadbare legislative accomplishments, despite Republican control of both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue.

But in the broadest sense, the resistance he's encountering is due to America’s system of governance. The story of his early presidency might easily be called “Donald Trump meets the Founding Fathers,” as a beginner politician runs up against the checks and balances that are designed to prevent tyranny and forge consensus.

Trump and his team are “surprised at the intransigence and resistance they’re meeting, when in fact, every other president has met them,” says Don Ritchie, former Senate historian. This outsider White House “didn’t anticipate these things because they hadn’t experienced these things,” as former governors or legislators, like other presidents and senior White House officials.

During the honeymoon phase of a new administration, presidents can make significant headway. Barack Obama and George W. Bush scored some major legislative wins, when their parties, too, controlled both the House and Senate.

By the first August recess, a Democratic Congress had passed President Obama’s big economic stimulus package, confirmed a Supreme Court justice, and was deep into the policy weeds of health care, which would become law early the next year. In his first year, President Bush got a $1.35 trillion tax cut and Congress passed landmark education reform with bipartisan support.

But Trump's marriage with the GOP has been rocky from the start.

He has been able to appoint a Supreme Court justice – a biggie – and roll back 14 Obama-era regulations, which Republicans say has helped to fuel the stock market to a record high. Still repeal-and-replace failed, the president’s budget is being strongly resisted by his own party, the border wall is a disputed budget line, tax reform is a set of talking points, and Democrats have panned his infrastructure plan.

Trump and his Minions™ learned the hard way that America is not a kingdom, it's a republic with 3 roughly equal branches of government–something the 9th circuit appeals court and Senator John MaCain proved to Trump the hard way.

Maybe during his summer VaCa, Trump might doing some catchup on how to govern and achieve a consensus–negotiating like everything is like a real estate deal ain't gonna work.

Oh, and if you single out a US Senator on Twitter for ridicule as he did with Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) after she voted no on the skinny repeal, she returned the favor by spearheading a maneuver in the Senate that will prevent Trump attempting any recess appointments. Senate blocks Trump from making recess appointments over break

The Senate blocked President Trump from being able to make recess appointments on Thursday as lawmakers leave Washington for their August break.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), doing wrap up for the entire Senate, locked in nine "pro-forma" sessions — brief meetings that normally last roughly a minute.

The move, which requires the agreement of every senator, means the Senate will be in session every three business days throughout the August recess.

Looks like Jeff Sessions DOJ job is still secure :~)

Schewe

« Reply #4702 on: August 05, 2017, 12:51:07 am »

Why use one when you can use two?

Special counsel Robert Mueller using multiple grand juries in Russia inquiry

WASHINGTON — Russia special counsel Robert Mueller is using at least two grand juries — in Virginia and Washington, D.C. — to advance a wide-ranging federal inquiry into possible coordination between President Trump's campaign and Moscow, a lawyer involved in the case said Friday.

As he investigates Russia's interference in the presidential election, Mueller may continue to use multiple panels or eventually consolidate those efforts in Washington, where the special counsel's team has only begun to use a grand jury in recent weeks.

But the lawyer, who requested anonymity to discuss the matter, said both venues continued to be active in recent days.

The use of the grand jury located in Washington is potentially significant, analysts said, as it likely means investigators are probing activities that happened within that jurisdiction.

Mueller's team is investigating possible obstruction of justice related to the president's abrupt May 9 dismissal of FBI Director James Comey, and former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn's contacts with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak — all of which occurred in the District of Columbia.

But hey, the whole Russian story is a hoax right? Nothing to see here...time to go on #VaCaEscape

Schewe

« Reply #4703 on: August 05, 2017, 01:20:53 am »

Opinion: What Trump fears most is coming
OPINION By Jay Bookman - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

He promised to give America an administration that was filled with the best people, “people that are truly, truly capable.” Instead we witness a rotating freak show, a cavalcade of clowns and cretins culled from the dark corners of American politics to which they are destined to retreat, but not before they get the chance to turn their long-nurtured, malignant dreams into our national nightmare.

The relative handful of competent, responsible people that survive in his administration — many of them with a military sense of duty to serve the country, not the man — do not see their job as implementing the president’s whims and fancies. Increasingly, they justify their presence by their ability to fend off his worst instincts, to tell him “yes of course” to his face while quietly ensuring that the real answer remains no.

The campaign narrative of betrayal that he spun for his supporters, the story in which they were cast as the victims of an elite conspiracy, while he would be their knight on a white steed, has now been rewritten. He has proceeded to make that betrayal a reality, backing health care, tax and other provisions to further enrich and empower the elite that he has long courted, at the expense of those who invested their desperate hopes and votes in him.

--snip--

If the deep state is to blame, it is his own deep state of ignorance and laziness. He has made the amazing discovery that politics is hard, but he cannot wrap his head around the fact that the Constitution made it hard by design. The Founders drafted that document with men like him very much in mind, to frustrate those who would take the demagogue’s route to power, who proclaim that “I alone ….” am the solution.

Donald Trump, alone, is what he fears most. And Donald Trump, isolated and alone, is exactly where this thing is headed.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4704 on: August 05, 2017, 02:18:05 am »

This thread is a two-way street.  You can claim as much as you want you have the right to criticize us and tell us how we should live.  And I claim the right to criticize you and tell you I don't accept your opinion and stop nosing in to our business. 
That's a false equivalence. If a non-US citizen critisize something that's happening internally in the US (because you think it's none of our business, which is also BS by the way) that doesn't give you any justification to falsely accuse people of things they actually did not say.
pieter, aka pegelli

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4705 on: August 05, 2017, 07:22:14 am »

I don't think foreigners ought to opine about domestic American politics and our economy and other things that they aren't involved in and don't effect them.

It's as silly a thought as saying that a surgeon who hasn't had an appendicitis himself/herself cannot operate on someone else having that condition, or even have an opinion on how to treat it.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4706 on: August 05, 2017, 09:12:44 am »

Fascinating article: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis.

If you haven't read any of Lewis's books, I recommend them, especially the ones about financial markets.
--
Robert

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4707 on: August 05, 2017, 09:37:27 am »

Fascinating article: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis.

It describes a chilling display of utter incompetence.

No wonder they want to stop people telling leaking about that.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4708 on: August 05, 2017, 09:43:44 am »

That's a false equivalence. If a non-US citizen critisize something that's happening internally in the US (because you think it's none of our business, which is also BS by the way) that doesn't give you any justification to falsely accuse people of things they actually did not say.
Non Americans like to dump on America.  It makes them feel good. You don't have to look inward.     I get it.   It's just annoying to most Americans.   But it seems to me that you have more important things to do like fixing your own countries?

pegelli

« Reply #4709 on: August 05, 2017, 10:01:05 am »

Non Americans like to dump on America.  It makes them feel good. You don't have to look inward.     I get it.   It's just annoying to most Americans.   But it seems to me that you have more important things to do like fixing your own countries?
Alan, you've got it totally wrong and what's most anoying is that you don't (want to) understand what we write. You're just closing your mind and venting unfounded frustrations and keep accusing many people here of things we never said or did. Sometimes playing the poor victim works, but when it's so obviously wrong it's just pathetic.
pieter, aka pegelli

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4710 on: August 05, 2017, 10:16:57 am »

Alan, you've got it totally wrong and what's most anoying is that you don't (want to) understand what we write. You're just closing your mind and venting unfounded frustrations and keep accusing many people here of things we never said or did. Sometimes playing the poor victim works, but when it's so obviously wrong it's just pathetic.
Oh yes,  I see.   You're not always criticizing us.  You're just trying to understand us and help us. Well gee.  I guess I got it wrong.   Thanks.

pegelli

« Reply #4711 on: August 05, 2017, 10:29:35 am »

Oh yes,  I see.   You're not always criticizing us.  You're just trying to understand us and help us. Well gee.  I guess I got it wrong.   Thanks.
Oh boy, you really don't want to understand it do you? Well, your loss, not mine. I think you're either frustrated or tired, maybe even both.
Hope you have a good vacation and come back enlightened and recharged.
pieter, aka pegelli

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4712 on: August 05, 2017, 10:47:20 am »

You two (or three?), get a room  ;D

pegelli

« Reply #4713 on: August 05, 2017, 10:49:32 am »

You two (or three?), get a room  ;D
Allready got one. You're welcome to join since I guess you will fit right in ;)  First round (of drinks) is on me.  8)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:54:57 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4714 on: August 05, 2017, 10:49:44 am »

Oh boy, you really don't want to understand it do you? Well, your loss, not mine. I think you're either frustrated or tired, maybe even both.
Hope you have a good vacation and come back enlightened and recharged.
Thanks for the warm wishes regarding our vacation.  Unfortunately, we had to cancel when my daughter got sick.  So now we're considering a warmer cruise in the Mediterranean rather than the Baltic as it will be at least a couple of months before we can go.  Yeah, I could of used that vacation away from the forums.  Although, at my age, the mental stimulation they say is good for the mind,  But it's also a huge time waster.  242 pages on this thread alone.  Think of all the photos we all could have taken instead.   

pegelli

« Reply #4715 on: August 05, 2017, 11:38:46 am »

Thanks for the warm wishes regarding our vacation.  Unfortunately, we had to cancel when my daughter got sick.  So now we're considering a warmer cruise in the Mediterranean rather than the Baltic as it will be at least a couple of months before we can go.  Yeah, I could of used that vacation away from the forums.  Although, at my age, the mental stimulation they say is good for the mind,  But it's also a huge time waster.  242 pages on this thread alone.  Think of all the photos we all could have taken instead.   
That's too bad Alan, hope your daughter is better now and you have better luck with the next cruise. The Mediterranean is nice as well and you might indeed need AC there ;)
I don't think you will get a lot of "mental stimulation" from this thread, it's merely entertaining but overall quite useless. But it hasn't prevented me from taking pictures, just checked my Lightroom and since the thread started in Februari I have kept a little over 3500 images in there, and since I usually bin at least 1/3 from every outing that means that internet discussions have not kept me back. How about you?

pieter, aka pegelli

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4716 on: August 05, 2017, 11:39:55 am »

Non Americans like to dump on America.

Yet another all-encompassing, wild-assed blanket statement from our resident closed mind.

You may THINK that's true, but that doesn't make it so. You can't repeatedly vituperate like that and expect anyone to take you seriously.

I, for example don't like to "dump on America".  And I've never done so. In 71 years of travel in over fifty countries, NEVER have I been better treated than I have in the United States.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4717 on: August 05, 2017, 11:41:30 am »

Think of all the photos we all could have taken instead.   

I for one have been shooting my ass off this year, despite "wasted" time here on LuLa. 

It's all good.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4718 on: August 05, 2017, 12:08:06 pm »

That's too bad Alan, hope your daughter is better now and you have better luck with the next cruise. The Mediterranean is nice as well and you might indeed need AC there ;)
I don't think you will get a lot of "mental stimulation" from this thread, it's merely entertaining but overall quite useless. But it hasn't prevented me from taking pictures, just checked my Lightroom and since the thread started in Februari I have kept a little over 3500 images in there, and since I usually bin at least 1/3 from every outing that means that internet discussions have not kept me back. How about you?

Not me.  It's not that the forums hold me up.  I'm just going through a dry spell where I don't want to get out and shoot.  I've been scanning some old slides and post processing them for a slide show on a DVD for my TV.  But not much in the way of new stuff.  Retirement can be boring.  This afternoon we're going to play canasta with some friends.  Nothing exciting.  I think I can use a part time job!  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4719 on: August 05, 2017, 12:10:21 pm »

Yet another all-encompassing, wild-assed blanket statement from our resident closed mind.

You may THINK that's true, but that doesn't make it so. You can't repeatedly vituperate like that and expect anyone to take you seriously.

I, for example don't like to "dump on America".  And I've never done so. In 71 years of travel in over fifty countries, NEVER have I been better treated than I have in the United States.
That's really great to hear.  You're always welcome here. 
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 331   Go Up