Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918439 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Trump II
« Reply #4600 on: August 02, 2017, 10:47:38 am »

Robert Roaldi:  I believe you are Canadian.  So it's to your advantage to advocate more regulation in America.  Higher regulation means that our goods cost more to produce against Canadian cost of production.  That allows Canada to sell more cheaper goods to America rather than Americans buying more US made goods. 

Everyone here should state their nationality on their profile page so we can assess whether the reasons for your opinions are just self-interest on your part.  No one would believe that foreigners care more about America than their own countries.   

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4601 on: August 02, 2017, 11:24:55 am »

I know you are talking to Alan here, but I feel the need to comment. 

You are not correct on this.   

I, myself, do not deal with regulations as a photographer, but my clients (architects and GCs mainly) do.  Not a single one of them would agree with you.  They could all site multiple projects that either did not even start or went extremely over budget, so the quality of the project suffered in other areas, due to regulations, some of which make no sense. 

They would all say we are over-regulated and that regulations are costing businesses. 
Actually, Joe, as a photographer, you too deal with regulations.  Fees are required for commercial photography in public places.  Complicated accounting procedures and tax regulations require you spend more money on accountants.  Issuing a tax form at the end of the year as required by Obamacare to show that employees have health care through your firm.   I'm sure if you think about all the things you do, you'll come up with a lot more. 

I was a contractor in NYC.  The rules and regulations were burdensome and costly.  Filing plans and the associate costs for architects and engineers are astounding.  Trump being a NY real estate developer is well acquainted with extra costs to build because of regs.  So he probably has a pet peeve against regulations.  Of course we need some regulations.  The problem is they just get out of control so they begin to hurt more than help.  They grow like weeds. They add costs that make us less competitive against imports and countries that have less regulation. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4602 on: August 02, 2017, 12:06:35 pm »

Federal regulation costs America $1.9 trillion dollars annually.

If it does (haven't bothered to check the figures), is that all burned/wasted? Or are people getting paid for jobs involved, goods consumed, or are there any benefits from the regulations that are not counted in the aggregate cost benefit picture here?

Maybe the government is just inefficient, because if not, maybe it is just a part of the cost of having a more smoothly running economy which saves more money than it costs?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4603 on: August 02, 2017, 05:35:23 pm »

Trump thinks the 'White House is a real dump,' report says

Trump's "official" Oval Office redesign

President Trump told members at his Trump National Bedminster golf club he has spent so much time there recently because "that White House is a real dump," Golf magazine reported Tuesday.

According to the the in-depth look at the president and his relationship to golf, Bedminster has become one of Trump's favorite escapes. It served as a "permanent campaign rally site" in the months leading up to the election and Trump has visited the club four times since taking office.

"He has his own cottage adjacent to the pool; it was recently given a secure perimeter by the Secret Service, leading to the inevitable joke that it's the only wall Trump has successfully built," Golf magazine reported. "Chatting with some members before a recent round of golf, he explained his frequent appearances: 'That White House is a real dump.'"

By contrast, people who've played with Trump on his courses say he praises every detail of his clubs.

"'Is this not the most beautiful asphalt you've ever seen in your life?'" he'll say of an ordinary cart path," Golf reported. "At the turn he'll ask, "'Have you ever had a better burger?'"

Though Trump may take a lot of "floating mulligans" — ignoring a bad shot, or dropping a new ball without taking a penalty — and though he may have a nasty habit of driving his cart onto greens and tee boxes, Golf writes that no president has ever played the sport better.

Trump "clearly loves the game, and even at 71 is easily the best golfer who has ever lived in the White House," the magazine said.

So, Trump cheats when keeping score? Why am I not surprised...

I suspect this is what Trump REALLY wants his Oval Office to look like,

The designer posted suggested elements HERE

BTW, if you want to see what the Trumpeter is giving up in NYC, here's his living room...see, the Oval Office is a dump!

Inside Donald and Melania Trump’s Manhattan Apartment Mansion

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4604 on: August 02, 2017, 05:44:33 pm »

Jeff, The Donald wouldn't be caught dead with a leopard carpet.  Are you kiddin'?

Schewe

« Reply #4605 on: August 02, 2017, 05:51:56 pm »

This is particularly slimy...particularly Sean Hannity who STILL has not actually retracted his statements...

Behind Fox News' Baseless Seth Rich Story: The Untold Tale

Mary Rich, the mother of slain Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich, speaks at a press conference on Aug. 1, 2016.
A lawsuit alleges Fox News and a wealthy Trump supporter intended to deflect public attention from growing concern about the
administration's ties to the Russian government by concocting a story about Seth Rich's death.
Michael Robinson Chavez/The Washington Post/Getty Images

The Fox News Channel and a wealthy supporter of President Trump worked in concert under the watchful eye of the White House to concoct a story about the death of a young Democratic National Committee aide, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday.

The explosive claim is part of a lawsuit filed against Fox News by Rod Wheeler, a longtime paid commentator for the news network. The suit was obtained exclusively by NPR.

Wheeler alleges Fox News and the Trump supporter intended to deflect public attention from growing concern about the administration's ties to the Russian government. His suit charges that a Fox News reporter created quotations out of thin air and attributed them to him to propel her story.

Fox's president of news, Jay Wallace, told NPR on Monday that there was no "concrete evidence" that Wheeler was misquoted by the reporter, Malia Zimmerman. The news executive did not address a question about the story's allegedly partisan origins. Fox News declined to allow Zimmerman to comment for this story.

The story, which first aired in May, was retracted by Fox News a week later. Fox News has, to date, taken no action in response to what it said was a failure to adhere to the network's standards.

--snip--

The back story

On May 16, the Fox News Channel broke what it called a "bombshell" story about an unsolved homicide: the July 2016 shooting of 27-year-old Democratic Party staffer Seth Rich.

Unfounded conspiracy theories involving Rich abounded in the months after his death, in part because WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange cryptically suggested that Rich's death may have been related to the leaks of tens of thousands of emails from Democratic Party officials and their allies at the peak of the presidential campaign.

Fox News' story, which took flight online and ran in segments across major shows, breathed fresh life into the rumors. Fox reported that the leaks came from inside the party and not from hackers linked to Russia — despite the conclusions of the nation's most senior intelligence officials. The network suggested that Democrats might have been connected to Rich's death and that a cover-up had thwarted the official investigation.

The network cited an unnamed FBI official. And the report relied heavily on Wheeler, a former police detective, hired months earlier on behalf of the Riches by Butowsky.

These developments took place during growing public concern over a federal investigation into the Trump camp's possible collusion with the Russian government during the campaign. The allegations have since touched the president's son and son-in-law, his former campaign manager, his attorney general and his first national security adviser, who resigned as a result.

The question of Rich's death took on greater urgency for Butowsky after Trump fired FBI Director James Comey in early May. Comey had been overseeing the Russia investigation. The story ran just a week later.

Fox's report went sideways shortly after it was posted online and aired on Fox & Friends. It was denounced by the Rich family, D.C. police, Democratic Party officials and even, privately, by some journalists within the network. Within hours, Wheeler told other news outlets that Fox News had put words in his mouth.

Despite those concerns, Wheeler appeared on the shows of Fox Business host Lou Dobbs and Fox News star Sean Hannity, who devoted significant time to the story that night and in subsequent days. In speaking with Wheeler, Hannity said: "If this is true and Seth Rich gave WikiLeaks the DNC e-mails ... this blows the whole Russia collusion narrative completely out of the water."

A week later, on May 23, Fox retracted the story, saying the reporting process failed to live up to its standards. Hannity said he would take a break from talking about Rich's death out of respect for the family. And there it has largely stood — until now.

This is the type of real "Fake News" story that hurts real people...and that slime-dog Hannity STILL hasn't actually retracted the story saying "it's still under investigation"...yeah, well, Hannity I think your being an actual HUMAN is still under investigation...

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4606 on: August 02, 2017, 06:07:02 pm »

If it does (haven't bothered to check the figures), is that all burned/wasted? Or are people getting paid for jobs involved, goods consumed, or are there any benefits from the regulations that are not counted in the aggregate cost benefit picture here?

Maybe the government is just inefficient, because if not, maybe it is just a part of the cost of having a more smoothly running economy which saves more money than it costs?

Cheers,
Bart
Of course regulation provides safety or other benefits to society that people want to have. But they all add costs which are transferred from people who mainly produce things we want to people who produce things that have less value. For example, you may produce photos I want to buy of my daughter's wedding.  But the fees that have to be paid to local government to provide a police presence to keep things orderly just take away money from me that I could give toward a nicer wedding with a better desert for my guests. 

Another example.  Adding tax regulation and complicated accounting procedures does not help the economy.  Businesses and individuals get no benefit from transferring their money to an accountant and raising their product or living costs.  People have to pay more for the product.  The accountant isn't providing anything of value when he's doing those kind of things.  Not to get bad with accountants, they do provide a valuable service by giving accounting statements, profit and loss statements, etc that help the business owner run his business more efficiently.  But hiring them to handle stupid regulations only helps the accountant make money transferred from the business owner and raising costs of the products he produces.

What you're arguing is the old "hole" theory of helping the economy.  We could get rid of unemployment by hiring 2 million unemployed to dig holes then hire another 2 million to fill them.  It sounds like we're doing something beneficial by putting 4 million  to work.  But what they produce has no value to anyone.  It's the same when you spend on the military.  Why do you think Germany doesn't want to pay the 2%?  Because, no one benefits in their regular daily lives when tax money goes to defense.  Do you need a tank?  Of course not.  Neither do I.  It's a transfer of money from civilians who could have used that money on health care, something of value that means something to them.  Well, costs for regulations are similar.

Schewe

« Reply #4607 on: August 02, 2017, 06:33:30 pm »

So, how low will he go?

Poll: Trump's approval rating down to 33%

Nooooo!

(CNN)Just 33% of American voters approve of how President Donald Trump is performing as president, a new Quinnipiac University poll has found.

The findings mark Trump's lowest approval rating and highest disapproval rating in the Quinnipiac poll. Sixty-one percent of respondents say they disapprove of the President's performance, with 55% of people saying they strongly disapprove -- the highest share of respondents yet.

Trump's numbers declined more among Republicans than they did among Democrats, who had already viewed the President unfavorably. In late June, 84% of Republicans approved of Trump's performance -- now, 76% of Republicans say the same. Seventeen percent of Republicans now say they disapprove of the way Trump is performing in the job.

Actually, some numbers are startling...

From the poll:
President Trump is not levelheaded, say 71 - 26 percent of voters, his worst score on that character trait. Voter opinions of most other Trump qualities drop to new lows:
62 - 34 percent that he is not honest;
63 - 34 percent that he does not have good leadership skills;
59 - 39 percent that he does not care about average Americans;
58 - 39 percent that he is a strong person;
55 - 42 percent that he is intelligent;
63 - 34 percent that he does not share their values.

This is the President of the United States of America and Former Leader of the Free World (pretty sure Merkel would beat him–oh wait, she did)
On world affairs, most G20 countries more confident in Merkel than Trump

EeeeeeeeK!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4608 on: August 02, 2017, 06:53:18 pm »

Enough with polls.  The elections are over.  They were wrong then.  He's president for 4 years.  Let's see what the polls say in 3 1/2 years when the economy is either good or bad.  Everything else is conversation.

Schewe

« Reply #4609 on: August 02, 2017, 06:53:44 pm »

I'm thinking the White House prolly shouldn't let Steve Miller actually speak to reporters...

The Poem on the Statue of Liberty Was 'Added Later' But There's More to That Story

The history of the Statue of Liberty became the focus of a back-and-forth between Stephen Miller, an aide to President Donald Trump, and CNN's Jim Acosta during the White House Press Briefing on Wednesday.

The broadcast journalist had argued that the President's support of a bill that would place limits on legal immigration did not jibe with the spirit embodied by the monument, as expressed by the Emma Lazarus poem that has become synonymous with Lady Liberty: "Give me your tired, your poor," it famously declares, "Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."

"The poem that you're referring to was added later," Miller replied. "It's not actually part of the original Statue of Liberty."

The poem was engraved onto a plaque placed on the pedestal in 1903 — nearly two decades after the statue was unveiled — and that the monument wasn't always associated with immigration.

Originally, the meaning of the monument had more to do with the abolition of slavery than with immigration. In the 1860s, French anti-slavery activist Edouard de Laboulaye had first proposed that France should make a gift of the statue, dubbed "Liberty Enlightening the World" and designed by sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, both to commemorate the alliance between the U.S. and France during the American Revolution and the end of slavery in the U.S. after the Civil War, according to the National Park Service.

But, while the statue herself would be a gift, it would be up to Americans to raise money to construct the monument's base. Many years passed during this period, and in that time the main liberty-related questions on Americans' minds — especially in New York City — evolved. The Civil War had ended, but a "Great Wave of Immigration" had begun, as 23.5 million persons immigrated between 1880 and 1920.

It was as a result of the need to fund the pedestal that Emma Lazarus was tapped to write the famous sonnet "The New Colossus" for a Statue of Liberty fundraiser in 1883. Inspired by her work with Russian Jews detained by immigration officials on Ward Island, she included a new facet of liberty in her interpretation of what the statue could mean.

#MAGA?NOT!

Schewe

« Reply #4610 on: August 02, 2017, 06:55:11 pm »

Enough with polls.

You're like Trump...polls are ok when he likes them and they are #FAKENEWS when he doesn't.

Doesn't it mean anything to you that the majority of America thinks Trump is doing a bad job?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4611 on: August 02, 2017, 07:02:33 pm »

You're like Trump...polls are ok when he likes them and they are #FAKENEWS when he doesn't.

Doesn't it mean anything to you that the majority of America thinks Trump is doing a bad job?
The fact he's doing so well despite the constant biased press hitting him every day to bring his presidency down is amazing.  The NY Times and the Washington Post have made it their job to destroy Trump.  Add in the liberal press and cable and no one could stand up to those kind of attacks.  But it will all come down to how the economy is doing and what the democrats offer in opposition. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4612 on: August 03, 2017, 12:09:33 am »

I know you are talking to Alan here, but I feel the need to comment. 

You are not correct on this.   

I, myself, do not deal with regulations as a photographer, but my clients (architects and GCs mainly) do.  Not a single one of them would agree with you.  They could all site multiple projects that either did not even start or went extremely over budget, so the quality of the project suffered in other areas, due to regulations, some of which make no sense. 

They would all say we are over-regulated and that regulations are costing businesses.

I take your point, but I didn't say it, a podcast on poverty said it (can't remember which one, I've been listening to a few in the car lately). It was concerned with what was holding back entrepreneurs around the globe and keeping them in poverty, and one big culprit was pointless regulation (like getting 13 permits to open a business from 13 different city departments, that kind of thing). The data they quoted simply said that the USA was the fourth best place in the world to start a business, at least from the regulatory point of view.

Discussing this using anecdotes is a waste of time. I'm not surprised to hear that businessmen complain about any overhead that does not go toward generating profit. That does not mean that regulation should not exist or that it does not serve a useful purpose.

And anyway, so what if they say that. I have never heard any businessman say that things were going well. Somehow, they never make enough money and things are always standing in their way. I stopped listening to that whine a long time ago. I bet plantation owners complained about how much their slaves were eating. On their own, without objective evidence, those complaints carry no weight whatsoever, imo.

I am in no doubt that some regulation is nonsensical. We've all seen or heard of examples, but we should not overplay that hand. I am also sure that some regulation is essential in a civilized society.

How do we define regulation anyway? Are pollution controls on cars an unnecessary regulation? A lot of people used to think so. Do regulations about building homes on flood plains interfere with real estate development? You bet, and it's a good thing that they do. Does it cost coal mining companies money to prevent their employees from getting black lung disease? I should hope so. I understand that some people are perfectly ok with making money at the expense of someone else's health, but that does not mean that a civilized society should let them do it. I understand that it may cost coal companies so much to protect their workers that it may cripple their ability to make a profit. All that means is that it's a business that should not exist.

The free market is fantastic at producing cheap mobile phones. And it has a terrible track record when it concerns effects their businesses might have on the external world and that's why we've evolved business regulation, because it was necessary.

As I said above, I am in no doubt that some jurisdictions invent all kinds of silly regulations as cash grabs and that those things are bad for everyone. So let's find THOSE and get rid of them. But let's not pretend that regulation is evil or bad for society, because there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

However, while we're cleaning up those dumb regulations that serve no purpose, it may be good for us to stop and figure out why those jurisdictions implemented them in the first place. Why did they need the money and why don't they have a more equitable way to raise it? I wonder how many regulations were lobbied by industry groups to protect their turf and make it difficult for competitors.

--
Robert

Schewe

« Reply #4613 on: August 03, 2017, 12:15:50 am »

The fact he's doing so well despite the constant biased press hitting him every day to bring his presidency down is amazing.

In what universe is Trump "doing well"?

Is he doing well when only 33% of the nation approves while 61% disapproves of the job he's doing?

How can you possibly construe that to be doing well?

Wow...

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4614 on: August 03, 2017, 12:27:35 am »

In what universe is Trump "doing well"?

Is he doing well when only 33% of the nation approves while 61% disapproves of the job he's doing?

How can you possibly construe that to be doing well?

Wow...
Jeff,  I said he was doing well despite the out-to-get-him liberal press.  Also, you're using the same old poll argument that was made during the campaign. You're judging him like past politicians. 

"Well, there's no way he can win the nomination because he can't get above 33%".  Then , when he got above that, "Well he can't win unless he gets above 40%."  Etc  Etc.  Then he won.

But in any case he is President.  He's working thru policies that will help the economy or not.  It's going to take awhile.  Didn't Obama say years and years after 2008, well you got to give me time.  Well Trump's been President 6 months.  Give him time.  Or not. It doesn't matter.  Because he will be judged not now but before the 2018 election and in 2020 before the next presidential election. If the economy is doing well and Wall Street hasn't been nuked by NK, he'll get re-elected and the Republicans will do OK. 

Schewe

« Reply #4615 on: August 03, 2017, 12:36:13 am »

Maybe this will help...THE TRUMPLANDIA DICTIONARY
(this is from a neighbor :~)

Column: It's hard to understand Donald Trump without this Trumplandia Dictionary
Mary Schmich  Contact Reporter

In the brave, new nation of Trumplandia, it can be hard to keep things straight. Down is up and up is sideways and many words have taken on new meaning. What follows is an aid to deciphering the gibberish.

THE TRUMPLANDIA DICTIONARY

LOYALTY: Unswerving allegiance to a ruler (e.g., Donald Trump) regardless of how crazy or cruel his behavior.

Usage note: Loyalty is a quality demanded by the ruler with no guarantee of reciprocity.

See: Jeff Sessions

DISTRACTION: A technique used by Donald Trump to direct attention away from his failures or potential crimes, e.g., a ban on transgender people in the military.

See: Twitter/Tweet/Tweetstorm

LGBT (acronym): Coined as shorthand for "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender," currently used by Donald Trump to mean "Laughing Greatly Because They-really-thought-I-was-on-their-side-haha."

CLINTON (perjorative): 1. Either of two politicians who stick in Donald Trump's craw because they are widely considered to be smarter than he is. 2. A noun used to deflect substantive argument over important matters.

Usage note: Often used in the plural.

See: Distraction/Sean Hannity/Email/Blue Dress/Breitbart/Bannon/Cough/Fox

HEALTH: The condition of being sound in body, mind or spirit; freedom from disease or pain; a state reserved for people with lots of money or good genes.

HEALTH CARE LEGISLATION: 1. A political football. 2. A pain in the ass for Donald Trump. 3. A moral pain for John McCain.

OBAMA (archaic): A long-ago president of the United States.

CHICAGO: 1. A synonym for hell. 2. A useful political tool. 3. The home of Trump Hotel Chicago, where one night in a nice suite in August costs only $2,119.07.

Editor's note: That's tax included.

WHITE: The color of people who count.

For exceptions, see: Omarosa/Ben Carson/Mike Tyson/Dennis Rodman/Kanye

MALE: The gender of people who count.

For exceptions, see: Ivanka

WOMAN: A human being who exists to be objectified, ogled or mocked; used for sexual purposes and male adornment; or jailed for being a threat to a man.

See: Beauty Queen/Brigitte Macron/P---y/Wife/Evil Hillary

WIFE: A young woman who will bear at least one child before she hits menopause and has to be replaced.

SEXUAL HARASSMENT: Fun!

BOY SCOUT: A future Trump voter.

BAN: A prohibition, often rooted in fear or the desire to create fear for political gain.

See: Muslim/Immigrant/Transgender

FAIR: Whatever makes Donald Trump look and feel good.

UNFAIR: The antonym of "fair."

Example: "No politician in history — and I say this with great surety — has been treated worse or more unfairly." — Donald J. Trump

NEWS: Whatever facts, errors and assertions make Donald Trump look and feel good.

FAKE NEWS: The antonym of "news."

Usage note: Some of what is called "fake news" is actually real news. And vice-versa. And that is why your head hurts.

GREAT: A catch-all adjective used by Donald Trump to describe his TV ratings, his crowd sizes, his poll numbers, his vote tallies, and America as it once was and will be again under his rule.

See: Stupendous/Tremendous/Terrific/Big League/Huge/Lie

FAILING: Whatever enterprise, country or person makes Donald Trump feel or look bad.

See: The Mainstream Media

RELIGION: A useful tool for exploiting the fears and prejudices of voters.

RUSSIA: 1. Host of the 2013 Miss Universe pageant, co-owned by Donald Trump. 2. The country that interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. 3. The Slavic word for "nothingburger."

FRAUD: Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain, but not if Donald Trump is involved, in which case the correct word is "fair."

CONSISTENCY: The hobgoblin of little minds.

WORD: A sound or combination of sounds, spoken or written, that once had a generally agreed-upon meaning but now means whatever is convenient for the user.

See: Fact/Truth/Winning/Honesty and most of the words above.

ANXIETY (trending): A state of chronic stress felt nationwide since November 2016.

Schewe

« Reply #4616 on: August 03, 2017, 12:49:18 am »

"Well, there's no way he can win the nomination because he can't get above 33%".  Then , when he got above that, "Well he can't win unless he gets above 40%."  Etc  Etc.  Then he won.

And exactly why did he just barely win?

Remember, it was about 80,000 voters in three swing states that made the difference and also remember 92 million eligible voters didn't bother to vote and remember Comey released a letter to Congress about Wiener's computer 11 days before the election and Wikileaks started leaking Podesta's emails about an hour after the Trump Pussy Grab recording was released.

You keep telling yourself Trump won fair and square but refuses to admit Russia interfered with our election even though he signed a bill today putting even more Russian sanctions.

You keep telling yourself it doesn't matter that Trump is president only to his diminishing base and continues to offend everybody else in America and the vast majority of the world...

You keep telling yourself the last 6 months is anything other than an unmitigated disaster.

Maybe Kelly can do something to whip Trump into presidential material but I seriously doubt it.

Schewe

« Reply #4617 on: August 03, 2017, 01:19:32 am »

So, here's the scary thing, the Wall Street Journal did an interview with Donald Trump and the WSJ has been releasing snippets of the interview that almost make Trump sound normal.

Then, somebody (at the WSJ?) leaks the entire interview to Politico and then all attempts to characterize Trump's interview to be anything other than virtually unintelligible end.

I won't bother the cut and past the entire interview but if you want some nearly impossible reading, here's the full transcript

But the question that needs to be asked is why does Trump sound so, well, unable to carry on a normal coherent conversation?

Cnn has excerpted the top 45 oddest quotes here: The 45 oddest quotes from Donald Trump's secretive Wall Street Journal interview
Analysis by Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large

Washington (CNN)On July 25, President Trump sat down for an interview with The Wall Street Journal. The paper wrote a few stories on the 45-minute chat and released a handful of excerpts. What they didn't do was release the full transcript of the interview -- which has become common practice among media organizations over the last few years.

Thanks to the good folks at Politico, however, we can now see the full back and forth of the Journal's conversation with the President; Politico got their hands on the entire transcript and released it Tuesday night. (Hooray for transparency!) Worth noting: The New York Times didn't release its FULL transcript of the Trump interview last month. The Times, however, did release extensive excerpts.

It is a classic of the form. I went through and pulled out the strangest of the strange Trump lines. They're below in the order Trump said them.

[here's the 1st 5 quotes]

1. "But once you get that motion, it's in pretty good shape, once you get in. It's hard to get in, but once you get in."
Trump is talking here about the motion to proceed on the health care legislation, in case you were wondering.

2. "John McCain was a great help, coming in as he did. And so it was something I very much appreciate, and we'll see what happens."
This interview was conducted on Thursday afternoon. By early Friday morning, the Senate had failed to pass the measure with McCain casting the decisive "no" vote.

3. "Many conversations. I just had one with a certain senator that was very convincing to that senator. So I've done a lot."
Hmmm. You would assume this had to do with health care given the timing of the interview. And, if so, was Trump really "very convincing" given that the vote failed hours later?

4. "And I — you know, I think I — you know, look, just don't quote me on this unless it happens, but I think we have a pretty good shot."
They did quote you. And the vote failed.

5. "If it's repeal and replace, which one do you want to go? Which form of existing conditions? I mean, there's many things."
Here's the truth: Trump isn't a details guy. Never has been. He comes in at the end and uses the power of his #brand and personality to close deals. In this quote he makes clear he knows very, very little about the specific policies being debated in the health care fight. "Which form of existing conditions" is not a phrase anyone who knows the law and the proposed changes says.

Look, I didn't even cherry pick the really crazy sounding stuff Trump said–which is, I think, the reason that the WSJ didn't release the full transcript and carefully chose quotes in their article that made Trump sound almost intelligible. I do find it interesting that we're seeing leaks of news media leaking on and to each other. I would be interested in seeing an analysis about the potential copyright implications for the Politico leak of the WSJ transcript.

Schewe

« Reply #4618 on: August 03, 2017, 01:29:34 am »

Give him time.  Or not. It doesn't matter.  Because he will be judged not now but before the 2018 election and in 2020 before the next presidential election. If the economy is doing well and Wall Street hasn't been nuked by NK, he'll get re-elected and the Republicans will do OK.

So, there's this...(yes another poll–they are done in a scientific manner ya know?)

Poll: Democrats surge ahead on generic ballot

Republicans trail Democrats by 7 percentage points on the generic congressional ballot, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll, the Democratic Party's greatest advantage on the generic ballot since the poll began asking the question this past spring.

The survey, conducted last Thursday through Saturday, shows a generic Democrat leading a generic Republican, 44 percent to 37 percent, with 19 percent of registered voters undecided. The two parties were tied, 40 percent apiece, in the previous week’s poll.

The results came on the heels of a week in which the GOP effort to repeal Obamacare crashed and burned in the Senate and President Donald Trump’s chief of staff left the White House abruptly.

That does bode well for a democratic resurgence in the midterm elections and the risk the president and GOP are being exposed to by the incompetence both are showing so far. And do you honestly think Trump will be able to actually learn how to be a president?

Schewe

« Reply #4619 on: August 03, 2017, 01:42:13 am »

More battle lines drawn...

Justice Dept. to Take On Affirmative Action in College Admissions

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing to redirect resources of the Justice Department’s civil rights division toward investigating and suing universities over affirmative action admissions policies deemed to discriminate against white applicants, according to a document obtained by The New York Times.

The document, an internal announcement to the civil rights division, seeks current lawyers interested in working for a new project on “investigations and possible litigation related to intentional race-based discrimination in college and university admissions.”

The announcement suggests that the project will be run out of the division’s front office, where the Trump administration’s political appointees work, rather than its Educational Opportunities Section, which is run by career civil servants and normally handles work involving schools and universities.

The document does not explicitly identify whom the Justice Department considers at risk of discrimination because of affirmative action admissions policies. But the phrasing it uses, “intentional race-based discrimination,” cuts to the heart of programs designed to bring more minority students to university campuses.

Supporters and critics of the project said it was clearly targeting admissions programs that can give members of generally disadvantaged groups, like black and Latino students, an edge over other applicants with comparable or higher test scores.

So, Trump and his Minions™ (Miller and Bannon) seem to be waving a shiny object in the eyes of the Trump base by sating the DOJ is gonna make it more difficult for minorities to get a break from affirmative action.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 331   Go Up