Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918198 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Trump II
« Reply #3300 on: June 06, 2017, 03:42:25 pm »

Another own goal by Trump - meddling in the Gulf and alienating the hosts of the US biggest military base there. Is there no end to his stupidity?

Yes, and the worst thing is that he really thinks that the Saudi Arabia visit is paying off. Naive and stupid, a dangerous combination in the geopolitical minefield.

Trump wades into Arab rift, suggests support for isolation of Qatar
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gulf-qatar-idUSKBN18X0KF

""So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!" Trump wrote on Twitter.

"So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!" Trump wrote on Twitter.

U.S. officials were blindsided by Saudi Arabia's decision to sever diplomatic ties with Qatar in a coordinated move with Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), current and former officials in Washington told Reuters.

Even as Trump applauded the Arab countries' decision, the Pentagon on Tuesday renewed praise of Qatar for hosting U.S. forces and its "enduring commitment to regional security."

Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis declined to answer a question about whether Qatar supported terrorism, saying: "I’m not the right person to ask that. I consider them a host to our very important base at al Udeid.""

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3301 on: June 06, 2017, 04:27:35 pm »

Obama gave the ambassadorship to Japan to Caroline Kennedy, President Kennedy's daughter.  I nice lady, I'm sure.  Cute when she was a little girl.  But what did she know about the country?  How about me.  I'm retired.  I have some spare time.  I'm available for Japan too.  I did spend two years there as an Air Force airman.  That should count for something.  Plus I'm a fellow New Yorker. I hope Trump is reading.   :)
Trump has nominated the owner of the New York Jets to be ambassador to the UK.  AFAIK, this is because he was a big donor to the campaign and a friend of Trump.  I would sooner see you in the position!!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3302 on: June 06, 2017, 04:28:55 pm »

He's even stupid enough to think that the diplomatic situation with Qatar is helping to curtail Islamist terrorism. He's being played by the Abab infighting amongst themselves. Qatar is too friendly with Iran, so the other Arab countries have a score to settle and knew that Trump is gullible enough to think it all revolves around him.

Cheers,
Bart
Also Qatar is using slave labor to build all the arenas for the 2022 World Cup which they won by bribing FIFA officials.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3303 on: June 06, 2017, 04:48:02 pm »

The Lawless Presidency.

The consistent application of laws requires a consistent set of facts on which a society can agree. The Trump administration is trying to undermine the very idea of facts.

The attorney general, Jeff Sessions, is part of the problem. He is supposed to be the nation’s head law-enforcement official, but acts as a Trump loyalist. He recently held a briefing in the White House press room — “a jaw-dropping violation of norms,” as Slate’s Leon Neyfakh wrote. Sessions has proclaimed, “This is the Trump era.”

Like Trump, he sees little distinction between the enforcement of the law and the interests of the president.

COURTS, UNDERMINED. Past administrations have respected the judiciary as having the final word on the law. Trump has tried to delegitimize almost any judge who disagrees with him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/opinion/the-lawless-presidency.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&_r=0

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3304 on: June 06, 2017, 05:13:17 pm »

Stealing (my word) money from kids? Are you f$&king kidding me?

And this is from that bastion of the far left Forbes magazine. (actually it's RIGHT-CENTER BIAS)

How Donald Trump Shifted Kids-Cancer Charity Money Into His Business

LIKE AUTUMN LEAVES, sponsored Cadillacs, Ferraris and Maseratis descend on the Trump National Golf Club in Westchester County, New York, in September for the Eric Trump Foundation golf invitational. Year after year, the formula is consistent: 18 holes of perfectly trimmed fairways with a dose of Trumpian tackiness, including Hooters waitresses and cigar spreads, followed by a clubhouse dinner, dates encouraged. The crowd leans toward real estate insiders, family friends and C-list celebrities, such as former baseball slugger Darryl Strawberry and reality housewife (and bankruptcy-fraud felon) Teresa Giudice.

The real star of the day is Eric Trump, the president's second son and now the co-head of the Trump Organization, who has hosted this event for ten years on behalf of the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. He's done a ton of good: To date, he's directed more than $11 million there, the vast majority of it via this annual golf event. He has also helped raise another $5 million through events with other organizations.

The best part about all this, according to Eric Trump, is the charity's efficiency: Because he can get his family's golf course for free and have most of the other costs donated, virtually all the money contributed will go toward helping kids with cancer. "We get to use our assets 100% free of charge," Trump tells Forbes.

That's not the case. In reviewing filings from the Eric Trump Foundation and other charities, it's clear that the course wasn't free--that the Trump Organization received payments for its use, part of more than $1.2 million that has no documented recipients past the Trump Organization. Golf charity experts say the listed expenses defy any reasonable cost justification for a one-day golf tournament.

Additionally, the Donald J. Trump Foundation, which has come under previous scrutiny for self-dealing and advancing the interests of its namesake rather than those of charity, apparently used the Eric Trump Foundation to funnel $100,000 in donations into revenue for the Trump Organization.

And while donors to the Eric Trump Foundation were told their money was going to help sick kids, more than $500,000 was re-donated to other charities, many of which were connected to Trump family members or interests, including at least four groups that subsequently paid to hold golf tournaments at Trump courses.

All of this seems to defy federal tax rules and state laws that ban self-dealing and misleading donors. It also raises larger questions about the Trump family dynamics and whether Eric and his brother, Don Jr., can be truly independent of their father.

#MAGA on the backs of sick kids?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3305 on: June 06, 2017, 05:29:33 pm »

Trump has nominated the owner of the New York Jets to be ambassador to the UK.  AFAIK, this is because he was a big donor to the campaign and a friend of Trump.  I would sooner see you in the position!!
Thanks for the props.  I hope it's OK to use you as a reference when I put in my resume for the ambassadorship job.  Bob Kraft, the NY Jets owner, is close friends with the Donald, for years.  Actually that's a smart pick for Trump.  While he's in the UK, he can keep an eye on Trumps golf courses for him. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3306 on: June 06, 2017, 05:49:20 pm »

I haven't seen any sign of a strong president yet. So far, we've seen some temper tantrums, a lot of confusion, stupid decisions, flip-flops, undiplomatic behavior and total lack of strategy.
You haven't been paying attention.  American's enemies around the world realize the days of the weak Obama are over. 

Trump's bombing of the Syrian airfield and MOAB in Iraq made his bones.  He sent our carrier task forces back into the China Sea to stop China from militarizing any more islands.  Japan, the Philippines, Australia, who had been talking to China because they were beginning to think Obama was abandoning the Pacific, now feel confident again America is back. I think we've had two carrier task forces there and have started heavy training exercises with our Allies there.

It's similar with Iran. and with Sunni allies in the Middle East.  His visit there recently re-established our strong ties.  The Saudis were also beginning to doubt Americas commitment and starting to talk to other major powers for comfort.  Because of Trump, we're pals again.  Even in NATO, despite Trump playing hard ball with the 2% and Article 5, he still added more troops to Eastern Europe.  Putin got the message.  The only main holdout is North Korea who continues thumbing their noses at the world.  You have to give that little bastard credit standing up to China and the US and South Korea.

Mattis the Defense Secretary of Defense is creating a war counsel with our Middle East friends to destroy ISIS.  When that's done, they'll be less London Bridges happening.  Even PM May is getting into the stream of it and actually proposing to stop terrorism.  Really getting tough.  Pretty soon she might be to the right of Trump.  The London mayor will have to stop her from entering London along with Trump.  Now won't that be sumthin'?

Like I said, you're not paying attention.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3307 on: June 06, 2017, 06:07:41 pm »

You haven't been paying attention.  American's enemies around the world realize the days of the weak Obama are over. 

Trump's bombing of the Syrian airfield and MOAB in Iraq made his bones.  He sent our carrier task forces back into the China Sea to stop China from militarizing any more islands.  Japan, the Philippines, Australia, who had been talking to China because they were beginning to think Obama was abandoning the Pacific, now feel confident again America is back. I think we've had two carrier task forces there and have started heavy training exercises with our Allies there.

It's similar with Iran. and with Sunni allies in the Middle East.  His visit there recently re-established our strong ties.  The Saudis were also beginning to doubt Americas commitment and starting to talk to other major powers for comfort.  Because of Trump, we're pals again.  Even in NATO, despite Trump playing hard ball with the 2% and Article 5, he still added more troops to Eastern Europe.  Putin got the message.  The only main holdout is North Korea who continues thumbing their noses at the world.  You have to give that little bastard credit standing up to China and the US and South Korea.

Mattis the Defense Secretary of Defense is creating a war counsel with our Middle East friends to destroy ISIS.  When that's done, they'll be less London Bridges happening.  Even PM May is getting into the stream of it and actually proposing to stop terrorism.  Really getting tough.  Pretty soon she might be to the right of Trump.  The London mayor will have to stop her from entering London along with Trump.  Now won't that be sumthin'?

Who is not paying attention? AFAIK, the MOAB bomb was dropped in Afghanistan, not in Iraq. And the bombing in Syria was completely ineffective. 59 Tomahawks wasted, and the airfield was operational next day. Unfortunately, many Syrian lives (non ISIS) were also needlessly lost in that adventure.

You must be watching a different channel.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3308 on: June 06, 2017, 06:09:02 pm »

Yes, we know, he's a cry baby. He has yet to learn empathy for the victims, and put his personal grievances (and emerging Islamophobia) aside.

He's even stupid enough to think that the diplomatic situation with Qatar is helping to curtail Islamist terrorism. He's being played by the Abab infighting amongst themselves. Qatar is too friendly with Iran, so the other Arab countries have a score to settle and knew that Trump is gullible enough to think it all revolves around him.

Cheers,
Bart
Qatar supports the Muslim Brotherhood, a nationalistic but terror organization.  If you're going to rid yourself of terrorism, putting a lid on them is important.  Considering Qatar is a little country at odds with all their neighbors, it's more important to support the Saudis and their allies, especially if you want to rid the world of Islamic terrorism.  Of course, we have a big base there which we want to maintain.  But Qatar wants us there as well to keep the Saudis at bay.   I think Trump is hoping that Qatar will change its position, get rid of the Muslim Brotherhood, and fall into line.  You can't expect him to take Qatar's side against the major players there. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3309 on: June 06, 2017, 06:13:56 pm »

Qatar supports the Muslim Brotherhood, a nationalistic but terror organization.  If you're going to rid yourself of terrorism, putting a lid on them is important.

And Saudi Arabia doesn't sponsor terrorists? Oh, wait, they wanted to buy planes/leverage. That makes them friends?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3310 on: June 06, 2017, 06:16:26 pm »

Who is not paying attention? AFAIK, the MOAB bomb was dropped in Afghanistan, not in Iraq. And the bombing in Syria was completely ineffective. 59 Tomahawks wasted, and the airfield was operational next day. Unfortunately, many Syrian lives (non ISIS) were also needlessly lost in that adventure.

You must be watching a different channel.
There you go correcting an insignificant error. Just like on Trump.  "Gotcha."   It's not important which country he dropped MOAB.  He dropped it and sent a message.  And Syria shut down that airfield moving all its remaining planes to the another airfield where the Russian kept their planes, for protection.  Assad also stopped dropping chemical bombs.  But all that is beside the point.  The main message he sent was a "don't tick me off"  message to the rest of our world's enemies.  The days of Obama leading from behind are over. 

By the way, what has your country done lately to stop Assad from dropping chemical bombs on civilians? 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3311 on: June 06, 2017, 06:33:15 pm »

And Saudi Arabia doesn't sponsor terrorists? Oh, wait, they wanted to buy planes/leverage. That makes them friends?

Cheers,
Bart
That is a good question.  It's tricky.  The Saudis do support strong Muslim beliefs, Wahhabism.  And I'm sure some of their followers wind up becoming terrorists. Bin Laden may be the prime example.  But the Saudi king and government have a lot to fear from the terrorists.  They would like nothing better than to overthrow the Saudi dynasty.  So the government treads a fine line of appearing very Muslim yet enforces cruel and determined attacks on anyone in their country who they feel is a threat.  They are also a bulwark against Iran.  So if you are the American government, you find that as unappetizing Saudi Arabia may be, you have to pick sides.  So they wind up staying your allies.  It is an unappetizing buffet, but what other choice is there?

Also, may I remind you that it was the English, French and others who helped create this mess in the Middle East after WWI.  It's easy for you now to complain and throw brickbats from the sidelines while America is trying to keep the lid on everything over there.  Also, do you think Bush and Obama did such a wonderful job?  Frankly, they were embarrassing.  I think Trump will surprise you and the rest of the world.  Keep tuned. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3312 on: June 06, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »

There you go correcting an insignificant error. Just like on Trump.  "Gotcha."   It's not important which country he dropped MOAB.  He dropped it and sent a message.  And Syria shut down that airfield moving all its remaining planes to the another airfield where the Russian kept their planes, for protection.  Assad also stopped dropping chemical bombs.  But all that is beside the point.  The main message he sent was a "don't tick me off"  message to the rest of our world's enemies.  The days of Obama leading from behind are over. 

By the way, what has your country done lately to stop Assad from dropping chemical bombs on civilians?

Again, AFAIK, the chemical bomb by Assad has been alleged, but never proven. Even our friend Putin says so.

As to our prime minister, he expressed horror over the suspected sarin attack, which killed more than 80 people. He strongly condemed these heinous attacks against civilians, children, by chemical weapons and promised Canada would be involved in the United Nations process to investigate and punish the perpetrators of the chemical attack that killed civilians. To me that seems a very mature, compassionate, and responsible position with which I fully identify. Contrary to the Trump administration that very quickly and without any substantial evidence assigned the blame.

There is also a big difference whether you drop MOAB in Iraq or Afghanistan. BTW, that was the only good hit. Good thing that the pilot didn't mix up the countries.

I agree that Trump has been very effective in communicating to the rest of the world "don't tick me off". Unfortunately, that includes also all our allies. But I'm not sure whether that will lead to any constructive development in these turbulent times.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:27:56 pm by LesPalenik »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3313 on: June 06, 2017, 07:01:05 pm »

.. It's not important which country he dropped MOAB.
fortunately he did not drop it here ;)

I am afraid with all the weapons Saoudi Arabia gets, combined with the weapons of Israel and the common hatred against Iran and Qatar, Trump may contribute to new conflicts in the middle east and maybe even a war against Iran.
Obama and the EU wanted a diplomatic solution with Iran and they managed to do so. A very wise decision. In the country itself the people are turning to a less islamic conservative direction by choosing Rohani. Iran itself never started a war before, it only defended itself against Irak that got the weapons from the EU and the US.
It would be wise not to put so much arms in that region; as happened before in Irak, Afghanistan and now Syria; Total chaos and devastation will  be the result and in the end these weapons may be used against you.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:08:46 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3314 on: June 06, 2017, 07:35:47 pm »

It's not important which country he dropped MOAB.  He dropped it and sent a message.

Yeah, what's the difference? Just drop it somewhere and send a message. Tomorrow, we may come up with another message.
Alan, in hindsight you can consider yourself very lucky, that he didn't drop it in New Jersey.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3315 on: June 06, 2017, 08:09:20 pm »

American's enemies around the world realize the days of the weak Obama are over. 

Yah, right.

Will you PLEASE stop saying that?  You've said it many times and it's insulting.
We ARE paying attention and we are NOT stupid. We just see different things than what you keep telling us to see.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3316 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:04 pm »

Yeah, what's the difference? Just drop it somewhere and send a message. Tomorrow, we may come up with another message.
Alan, in hindsight you can consider yourself very lucky, that he didn't drop it in New Jersey.
Actually, there are some places in New Jersey that dropping MOAB would help improve the area.  :)  Regarding my comment that it didn't matter where he dropped it was because he went after ISIS.  It could have been in Afghanistan or Iraq as they're in both places. 

But my main point was that it along with the missiles attack on the Syrian airbase sent a message to potential enemies.  You notice you haven't seen any Iranian speedboats making runs at American ships since Obama retired. That's not a coincidence.  The Iranians have to think hard about such folly against Trump.  My feeling is that there are new rules of engagement and those have been also sent to the Iranian Navy.  The next run you make you will be fired upon and then have to deal with further attacks on the staging areas for those runs.  If you're Iranian, you have to take Trump seriously after the missiles and MOAB. 

Europeans should be supporting us.  The quicker we get rid of ISIS the quicker the bombs and trucks and knives and hammers will end in Europe.  Isn't that what you want?  We should be together in that mission. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3317 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:29 pm »

Yes, it will take an all-out, coordinated effort. That's why Trump should play nice with US allies.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3318 on: June 06, 2017, 09:35:29 pm »

Yes, it will take an all-out, coordinated effort. That's why Trump should play nice with US allies.
In order to defeat ISIS, I believe Mattis and Trump are going to use our Arab, Turkish (maybe) and Kurdish friends as the troops on the ground. Europe is out or will be given minor roles to play.  America will provide the  air power, strategy, coordination and command structure,  etc.  Using Christian Europeans and Americans on the ground might make the work harder. Plus Americans won't go for the idea.   I think that's the secret deal Trump made with the Saudi king when he visited a couple of weeks ago.  I think that's why Qatar happened.  If you're in the Middle East, you now have to take sides.   The lines are being drawn.  You either get with the program of defeating Islamic terrorism, or you'll go down along with the terrorists.  The Saudis just made that known with Trump's approval by making Qatar an example.  The message has now been sent to all the players.  I'm sure the Russian, Syrians and Iranians are thinking hard how this all effects them.

Regarding Europe, he's more concerned about the 2%. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3319 on: June 06, 2017, 10:08:46 pm »

... When people ask, "Where are the Muslims speaking against terror, and why don't they speak out?" my answer is, on March 29, 2017 they were in the spot of the attack, engaging with other Londoners and tourists, mostly wearing shirts that said, "Talk to me about Islam," while decrying the recent attacks....

Right... and then there is this:

CNN Caught Being Fake News - Staging A Backdrop Of Muslim Protesters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22FYY1IJV2A&feature=youtu.be
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 331   Go Up