Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918344 times)

Otto Phocus

Re: Trump II
« Reply #2320 on: April 14, 2017, 11:38:52 am »

117 pages are enough,  it's been fun.  Bye.

There's some good news.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2321 on: April 14, 2017, 11:47:41 am »

There's some good news.
I don't agree, if you can't deal with other viewpoints there's really no point being here. While I disagree with Alan on several points I fully agree with him it's been fun. There's no need to convince others of your own viewpoints and the discussion as such is worthwhile. 117 pages with strong disagreements and hardly any ad-hominem attacks. That's really good news I think.
pieter, aka pegelli

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2322 on: April 14, 2017, 01:09:25 pm »

Defund the commies and "sanctuary" cities.
Who are the "commies?"  Are you getting a little too paranoid?  If so, read Pynchon's proverbs for paranoids and relax.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2323 on: April 14, 2017, 01:15:47 pm »

117 pages are enough,  it's been fun.  Bye.
Oh one last thing and we can take it off line.  My daughter's going to Amsterdam for 5 days with a girlfriend who's attending a medical conference for one of those days.  She asked if I new of any good restaurants and recommend things to do.  Thanks.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2324 on: April 14, 2017, 01:16:19 pm »

Who are the "commies?"  Are you getting a little too paranoid?  If so, read Pynchon's proverbs for paranoids and relax.

California. Never heard of that guy, but I heard of Andrew Grove (Only The Paranoid Survive).

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2325 on: April 14, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »

It is not just terrorism with bombs, trucks, etc....

http://www.dailywire.com/news/15387/trump-justice-department-prosecutes-disgusting-hank-berrien#

On Wednesday, the Department of Justice took the first step in stopping the monstrous practice of female genital mutilation (FGM) in the United States, announcing that the federal government has charged female doctor Jumana Nagarwala, M.D., of Northville, Michigan, with mutilating girls between the ages of six and eight.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2326 on: April 14, 2017, 01:34:56 pm »

Oh one last thing and we can take it off line.  My daughter's going to Amsterdam for 5 days with a girlfriend who's attending a medical conference for one of those days.  She asked if I new of any good restaurants and recommend things to do.  Thanks.

Restaurants (various foodstyles/types):
https://www.thefork.com/city/amsterdam/19088
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g188590-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Events (depends on the date of visit and what one is looking for):
http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/whats-on
April, 27th: http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/whats-on/kings-day

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2327 on: April 14, 2017, 01:37:03 pm »

I hope they have a wonderful time.

This is a pretty good website to start things off.

From those I would certainly recommend the following (time permitting):
3: Museumplein
4: Ferry to Amsterdam North
5: Canal cruise
9: Anne Frank House
14: Day trip (Keukenhof if they like to see blooming tulips)
16: Many good markets just to walk around
17: Nice foodcourt
19: Begijnhof (small but nice)
20: Eye across the water

I'm not very familiar with restaurants there, maybe another Dutchy can help out on that.

EDIT: I see Bart already did!
pieter, aka pegelli

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2328 on: April 14, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »

And back on topic.

As Trump seeks defense-spending boost, watchdogs cite faulty Pentagon accounting:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-pentagon-idUSKBN17F1PQ

"President Donald J. Trump is planning to increase U.S. defense spending by $54 billion next year. But a series of recent reports by the Defense Department Inspector General and the Government Accountability Office say that Pentagon accounting systems will struggle to track how the money is spent.

The reports found that the Pentagon remains unable to accurately track its $591 billion annual budget and experiences billions of dollars in accounting gaps and errors each year despite two decades of reform efforts. Taken together, the reports show that many of the endemic accounting problems exposed in a 2013 Reuters investigative series remain in place.

“These deficiencies not only affect (the Department of Defense's) ability to have auditable financial statements,” a Feb. 9 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report found, “they also affect its ability to make sound decisions on missions and operations.”"

So while not caused by Trump, it is also not remedied before piling on, and the spending boosts will possibly be based on wrong assumptions as to the required budgets.

Cheers,
Bart

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2329 on: April 14, 2017, 02:07:59 pm »

And back on topic.

As Trump seeks defense-spending boost, watchdogs cite faulty Pentagon accounting:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-pentagon-idUSKBN17F1PQ

"President Donald J. Trump is planning to increase U.S. defense spending by $54 billion next year. But a series of recent reports by the Defense Department Inspector General and the Government Accountability Office say that Pentagon accounting systems will struggle to track how the money is spent.
So while not caused by Trump, it is also not remedied before piling on, and the spending boosts will possibly be based on wrong assumptions as to the required budgets.

Cheers,
Bart

On the other hand, if Trump uses his bullying negotiating skills in the same way as he did recently with the Airforce One aircraft, the USA defense could get significatly more bang for their dollars.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2330 on: April 14, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »

On the other hand, if Trump uses his bullying negotiating skills in the same way as he did recently with the Airforce One aircraft, the USA defense could get significatly more bang for their dollars.

Yes, I'd agree with seeking for reduced cost, but the question is; reduced from what?

"The report said that because rules require that the Army’s numbers exactly match in monthly reports to the Treasury, the Army and the Defense Finance and Accounting Service must find a way to make them match. Their solution was to enter made-up numbers to make it appear falsely that the Army’s numbers do match.

The report said that for March 2016, there were $1.9 billion in such “forced balance entries.” Hall said the Army must make the numbers match under federal rules."

Cheers,
Bart

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2331 on: April 14, 2017, 02:48:35 pm »

California. Never heard of that guy, but I heard of Andrew Grove (Only The Paranoid Survive).
Thomas Pynchon is one of the great novelists of our time!!  I guess you skipped the literature course in college! ;)  Anyway, the proverbs for paranoids appeared in his National Book Award winner, "Gravity's Rainbow."  Pynchon, a recluse, sent the comedian, Professor Irwin Corey to give the acceptance speech and pick up the award.  He did do a voice for a character in a Simpsons episode.  Enough of the back story, here are the proverbs for paranoids:

1. You may never get to touch the Master, but you can tickle his creatures.

2. The innocence of the creature is in inverse proportion to the immorality of the Master.

3. If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

4.You hide, They seek.

5. Paranoids are not paranoids because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, f**king idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2332 on: April 14, 2017, 02:59:07 pm »

...the reports show that many of the endemic accounting problems exposed in a 2013 Reuters investigative series remain in place...

Ahmmm... about accounting (and statistics):

Stamp's Statistical Probability The government [is] extremely fond of amassing great quantities of statistics. These are raised to the nth degree, the cube roots are extracted, and the results are arranged into elaborate and impressive displays. What must be kept ever in mind, however, is that in every case, the figures are first put down by a village watchman, and he puts down anything he damn well pleases.
(Attributed to Sir Josiah Stamp, 1840-1941, H.M. collector of inland revenue.

This quote was something my first boss, an Economic Counselor in the State Department, with a Masters in Economics, had framed on his wall.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2333 on: April 14, 2017, 03:43:05 pm »

Ahmmm... about accounting (and statistics):

This quote was something my first boss, an Economic Counselor in the State Department, with a Masters in Economics, had framed on his wall.

Yes, it's similar to what I was told by the manager of the Marketing Information Services department some 39 years ago, "We take an estimate for the whole numbers, but use a calculator for the decimal fractions." (BTW, the man used an abacus, and was faster than those early desktop calculators with paper roll output).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:47:51 pm by BartvanderWolf »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2334 on: April 14, 2017, 04:23:26 pm »

117 pages are enough,  it's been fun.

Ironic, it seems because Trump’s base turns on him

Steve Bannon’s downgrade is just one of many complaints. ‘We expect him to keep his word, and right now he’s not keeping his word,’ says one campaign supporter.

Donald Trump’s true believers are losing the faith.

As Trump struggles to keep his campaign promises and flirts with political moderation, his most steadfast supporters — from veteran advisers to anti-immigration activists to the volunteers who dropped their jobs to help elect him — are increasingly dismayed by the direction of his presidency.

Their complaints range from Trump’s embrace of an interventionist foreign policy to his less hawkish tone on China to, most recently, his marginalization of his nationalist chief strategist, Steve Bannon. But the crux of their disillusionment, interviews with nearly two dozen Trump loyalists reveal, is a belief that Trump the candidate bears little resemblance to Trump the president. He’s failing, in their view, to deliver on his promise of a transformative “America First” agenda driven by hard-edged populism.

"Donald Trump dropped an emotional anchor. He captured how Americans feel," said Tania Vojvodic, a fervent Trump supporter who founded one of his first campaign volunteer networks. "We expect him to keep his word, and right now he's not keeping his word."

With Trump failing to live up to his word and his tendency to marginalize the very people who supported and voted for him, Trump Nation is starting to worry about the horse they hitched their wagon to. It's really tough to keep up the support of somebody who so consistently disappoints and fails to live up to expectations. I suspect there will continue to be an erosion to Trump's support and it's starting to look like the mid term elections by be yet another sea change. Something that will be giving the GOP heartburn till the elections :~)

And while Trump & Crew are hoping the whole Russia thing goes away (you remember, the Russians screwed up the election to help Trump) it seems foreign intelligence agencies had been getting Trump campaign people talking with Russians as far back as the end of 2015.

I'm thinking that the "Dodgy Dossier" as Carter Page refers to it, may end up being less dodgy...lest we forget: Trump Russia dossier key claim 'verified'. Oh, and that FISA warrant on Carter Page? Uh ho...FBI obtained FISA warrant to monitor Trump adviser Carter Page

The FBI obtained a secret court order last summer to monitor the communications of an adviser to presidential candidate Donald Trump, part of an investigation into possible links between Russia and the campaign, law enforcement and other U.S. officials said.

The FBI and the Justice Department obtained the warrant targeting Carter Page’s communications after convincing a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court judge that there was probable cause to believe Page was acting as an agent of a foreign power, in this case Russia, according to the officials.

This is the clearest evidence so far that the FBI had reason to believe during the 2016 presidential campaign that a Trump campaign adviser was in touch with Russian agents. Such contacts are now at the center of an investigation into whether the campaign coordinated with the Russian government to swing the election in Trump’s favor.

That "bombshell" comes on the tail of additional information that Page had met with Russian agents as early as 2013.

Three years before Page became an adviser to the Trump campaign, he came to the attention of FBI counterintelligence agents, who learned that Russian spy suspects had sought to use Page as a source for information.

In that case, one of the Russian suspects, Victor Podobnyy — who was posing as a diplomat and was later charged by federal prosecutors with acting as an unregistered agent of a foreign government — was captured on tape in 2013 discussing an effort to get information and documents from Page. That discussion was detailed in a federal complaint filed against Podobnyy and two others. The court documents in that spy case only identify Page as “Male 1.’’ Officials familiar with the case said that “Male 1’’ is Page.

Hum...makes sense why Trump left Thurs for a long Mar-a-lago weekend huh?

So...Flynn has dinner with Putin in 2015 and is paid by RT for "speaking" and registers belatedly as an agent of a foreign government after getting fired. Manafort is being investigated by Ukrainian Prosecutors, and After Campaign Exit, Manafort Borrowed From Businesses With Trump Ties and is now also belatedly registering as an agent of a foreign government and Carter Page is being investigated by the FBI.

Interesting people Trump surrounds himself with, huh?

#MAGA/MOAB

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2335 on: April 14, 2017, 04:45:49 pm »

On top of news that Trump supporters are, uh, "restless" is this...

Then and now: Donald Trump's biggest reversals

(CNN)Donald Trump's helter-skelter presidency took another odd turn on Wednesday, when he abruptly reversed himself on a range of issues central to his 2016 campaign.

Whether his recent U-turns are a precursor to more fundamental changes is an open question. Trump has, for the most part, sought to honor the pledges he made on the stump. But he has also made a series of adjustments to accommodate his lifestyle and the political realities of his new position.

From NATO to the golf course, here are 9 presidential about-faces:

Pretty striking how Trump has flip-flopped...

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2336 on: April 14, 2017, 05:29:42 pm »

Pretty striking how Trump has flip-flopped...

Like a fish out of water, on the bottom of the boat.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2337 on: April 14, 2017, 05:36:22 pm »

Quote from: Alan Klein on Today at 11:35:26 AM
117 pages are enough,  it's been fun.

Ironic, it seems because Trump’s base turns on him

And I thought, Alan got an offer from Trump's administration to replace Spicer.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2338 on: April 14, 2017, 07:15:24 pm »

Thanks to Bart and Pieter for the info.  You guys really are pretty nice even if I said some in-nice things about you.  I apologize for that.  It's one of the reasons I decided to leave the thread.  It was getting too political and creating too many hard feelings.  Thanks  again.

Alan

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2339 on: April 16, 2017, 11:18:33 pm »

End Of Romance - Interesting interview with Masha Gessen about Trump and Putin on CBC Sunday, Apr 16

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/masha-gessen-wendy-mesley-interview-the-national-1.4071222

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 331   Go Up