Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918199 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Trump II
« Reply #2080 on: April 04, 2017, 01:52:18 pm »

Electrical, mechanical and other engineers are also LEEDS certified.  Not just the Architect.  Producing energy and environmentally sound bldgs. come down to their electrical and mechanical systems as well as the structure.   LEEDs certification I think are national unlike architectural licenses which are by state.  You don't need LEED to be an engineer, but it makes you more valuable to a firm if you are.   

Yes, right.  My point was that the architect really pulls everything together.  They don't do the number crunching, like determining the density of reinforced concrete and the spacing of rebar based on the weight of traffic, but they draw the designs with it incorporated. 

It's not just the engineer that needs to know how to design around certain obstacles. 

I think overall, the general public has no idea what architects really do, and it annoys architects to no end when people think all they do is draw cool designs all day. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2081 on: April 04, 2017, 01:54:25 pm »

Part Three from the LA Times OpEd...

Part Three: Trump’s Authoritarian Vision

So far he's attacked the electoral process, the intelligence community, the media, the court system, the federal agencies, our foreign allies and most recently, the conservative members in his own party. He has no clue about building a consensus or the process of governing...

This is not good for our country....
It's true that he is new to politics.  But he's a fast learner.  Although the Republicans failed with Obamacare, he spent a lot of time working with many members in Congress trying to get them on board and finding a path to passing legislation.  He knows it requires a lot of personal work with them to get things done.  He just took Senator Rand Paul golfing to soften him up and help get legislation passed with other conservatives.  (Go ahead and make a joke about Trump's golf.  We all get that.  But it's how Trump gets business done) 

Obama's attitude was more hands off.  I think you're going to see a good relationship come out of Trump and congress.   Maybe even with Democrats if they could change their obstruction policy, like Republicans did with Obama, of not giving an inch. But you're expecting too much in two months.  Give him a chance. 

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #2082 on: April 04, 2017, 01:56:39 pm »

Count yourself lucky you get yours from your employer.  Those people who have to buy their own insurance will see an average rise of 25% this year.
I've run my own business for over 30 years and I had health insurance increases of over 20% before ACA. I haven't seen any that big since but there have definitely been increases. The recent GOP proposal would have given me at least a 22% premium increase so 25% under ACA seems no worse.  I have better coverage now than before ACA and never had any issue with keeping my doctor or my plan. I was never a huge fan of ACA but I think it's considerably better than what we had previously. I also think it could be improved but it will not be, since the current administration is obsessed with throwing out the baby with the bath water.

- Dean

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2083 on: April 04, 2017, 02:03:37 pm »

Well, McCain isn't happy...

McCain rips Trump administration over Syria policy

Trump said today: ‘I Don’t Want to Be the President of the World’

So, between Trump and Tillerson, what happens in Syria should just stay in Syria I guess. But sooner or later, Rex has start doing his job...

The Silence of Rex Tillerson

#MAGA

Any day now...
I like McCain.  But he's become a warmonger.  Maybe he should reenlist as a marine aviator and we can send him to drop bombs in Syria.  You'd think he'd remember what happened to him in North Vietnam and keep his head down instead of foisting death and dismemberment on today's young Americans.  And for what?  All those people over there hate our guts already.  After we drop some more bombs, they'll hate us even more.  A plague on all their houses.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2084 on: April 04, 2017, 02:09:55 pm »

I've run my own business for over 30 years and I had health insurance increases of over 20% before ACA. I haven't seen any that big since but there have definitely been increases. The recent GOP proposal would have given me at least a 22% premium increase so 25% under ACA seems no worse.  I have better coverage now than before ACA and never had any issue with keeping my doctor or my plan. I was never a huge fan of ACA but I think it's considerably better than what we had previously. I also think it could be improved but it will not be, since the current administration is obsessed with throwing out the baby with the bath water.

The problem with both Democrats and Republicans is that both want health coverage for everyone that covers pre-existing conditions. That's like your wife buying life insurance on you after your dead.  It's all just too expensive and we can't afford it.  Regardless of the plan, costs will continue to go up as long as government is involved. 

Petrus

« Reply #2085 on: April 04, 2017, 03:34:52 pm »

It's true that he is new to politics.  But he's a fast learner.

How about learning to read first?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2086 on: April 04, 2017, 03:40:10 pm »

It seems more and more that the Obama Administration was in fact playing fast and loose with surveillance info they had on Trump and his campaign people.  No, Obama wasn't listening in exactly, but Susan Rice and others were.  It may have been coincidental to NSA taps, but still, the dems unmasked people illegally.  And still no proof of Trump collusion with the Russians to tilt the election.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-03/top-obama-adviser-sought-names-of-trump-associates-in-intel
Update to my post:  So did Rice order spy agencies to provide detailed spreadsheets on Trump?
http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/03/susan-rice-ordered-spy-agencies-to-produce-detailed-spreadsheets-involving-trump/

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2087 on: April 04, 2017, 04:19:21 pm »

It's true that he is new to politics.  But he's a fast learner.

Not sure about that, but definitely a fast liar.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:34:23 pm by LesPalenik »

DeanChriss

« Reply #2088 on: April 04, 2017, 04:20:00 pm »

The problem with both Democrats and Republicans is that both want health coverage for everyone that covers pre-existing conditions. That's like your wife buying life insurance on you after your dead.  It's all just too expensive and we can't afford it.  Regardless of the plan, costs will continue to go up as long as government is involved.

Every human being needs healthcare. Lots of people have pre-existing conditions. If they are uninsured they go to emergency rooms when things get out of hand and "we" pay for their treatment anyway. In fact we pay even more for ER care, with worse outcomes, but only after the patients run out of money. A 2009 study in The American Journal of Medicine showed that 62.1% of all bankruptcies had a medical cause. Was that better?

Insured people still go bankrupt due to medical bills, but that is apparently decreasing to some extent. It always seemed to me that for profit insurance has a built in conflict of interest since profit is a huge incentive to deny coverage. Some insurance companies have been found to pay bonuses to reviewers based on number of claims they find reason to deny. That's great if it's not your life on the line.

Somehow most of the developed world has managed to have universal healthcare for decades while America, the richest country on earth, just "can't afford it". That's patently ridiculous.
- Dean

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2089 on: April 04, 2017, 05:40:33 pm »

Every human being needs healthcare. Lots of people have pre-existing conditions. If they are uninsured they go to emergency rooms when things get out of hand and "we" pay for their treatment anyway. In fact we pay even more for ER care, with worse outcomes, but only after the patients run out of money. A 2009 study in The American Journal of Medicine showed that 62.1% of all bankruptcies had a medical cause. Was that better?

Insured people still go bankrupt due to medical bills, but that is apparently decreasing to some extent. It always seemed to me that for profit insurance has a built in conflict of interest since profit is a huge incentive to deny coverage. Some insurance companies have been found to pay bonuses to reviewers based on number of claims they find reason to deny. That's great if it's not your life on the line.

Somehow most of the developed world has managed to have universal healthcare for decades while America, the richest country on earth, just "can't afford it". That's patently ridiculous.
Well, Democrats gave us universal health care.   It's called Obamacare and many people are going broke with insurance costs.  Others are complaining that the deductibles are so high, they can't take advantage of their insurance unless they get deathly sick.  So the Republicans tried to change it, repeal and replace, but they could not get enough votes from Republicans only.  Democrats refused to be involved all together.  So I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens.  Fortunately I'm on Medicare so it doesn't affect me at this point. 

We're not a rich country.  Not anymore.  We are $20 trillion in debt.  The federal budget is spending $600 billion more this year than they take in taxes requiring massive borrowing and possibly more printing of money that will decrease the value of your salary and savings and value of your home due to inflation.  We're running a negative trade deficit.  In fact the largest in the world.  We use to be the biggest creditor in the world.  Now we're the biggest debtor.    We can raise taxes but that inhibits business.  It will reduce the number of jobs and GDP.  So we'll become poorer.  The Ponzi scheme we've run for years is quickly ending. 

My guess the government will just keep printing.  That will destroy the value of the dollar. Your dollar and my dollar.  Then we won't be able to afford health care for all or anything else.

DeanChriss

« Reply #2090 on: April 04, 2017, 06:21:56 pm »

Well, Democrats gave us universal health care.   It's called Obamacare and many people are going broke with insurance costs.  Others are complaining that the deductibles are so high, they can't take advantage of their insurance unless they get deathly sick.  So the Republicans tried to change it, repeal and replace, but they could not get enough votes from Republicans only.  Democrats refused to be involved all together.  So I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens.  Fortunately I'm on Medicare so it doesn't affect me at this point. 

We're not a rich country.  Not anymore.  We are $20 trillion in debt.  The federal budget is spending $600 billion more this year than they take in taxes requiring massive borrowing and possibly more printing of money that will decrease the value of your salary and savings and value of your home due to inflation.  We're running a negative trade deficit.  In fact the largest in the world.  We use to be the biggest creditor in the world.  Now we're the biggest debtor.    We can raise taxes but that inhibits business.  It will reduce the number of jobs and GDP.  So we'll become poorer.  The Ponzi scheme we've run for years is quickly ending. 

My guess the government will just keep printing.  That will destroy the value of the dollar. Your dollar and my dollar.  Then we won't be able to afford health care for all or anything else.

The problem is, the replacement was worse than what they were repealing! I'm glad it failed. Fewer people were covered and those who were covered got higher premiums and less coverage. That's not what I call a fix. If we weren't completely wasting billions on a wall that won't work and pouring more billions money into a military that already has more funding than the next 7 biggest military spenders combined, we might be able to address some real problems.
- Dean

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2091 on: April 04, 2017, 06:26:57 pm »

It's all just too expensive and we can't afford it.

What an incredible statement.

The only nation in the developed west to not take care of the health of its citizens.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2092 on: April 04, 2017, 07:59:05 pm »

Then we won't be able to afford health care for all or anything else.

There could be a connection between the kind of consumed food, obesity and the cost of the health care in the United States compared to the rest of the world.
One solution would be to impose tax on all junk food and channel the proceeds to the health care.

The percentage of overweight or obese citizens in the United States compared to the rest of the world, according to a new Lancet study.

However, the latest reports indicate leveling the obesity numbers in US, and of many other countries catching up.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2093 on: April 04, 2017, 08:05:05 pm »

There could be a connection between the kind of consumed food, obesity and the cost of the health care in the United States compared to the rest of the world.
One solution would be to impose tax on all junk food and channel the proceeds to the health care.

The percentage of overweight or obese citizens in the United States compared to the rest of the world, according to a new Lancet study.

However, the latest reports indicate leveling the obesity numbers in US, and of many other countries catching up.

Although I agree the kind of food we eat is probably the number one reason we have high health care cost in this country, taxing never works like that, or the tax is always used in some other manner than what is promised. 

We tried to do this in Philadelphia with soft drinks with the promise that the tax revenue would go towards healthcare and daycare.  In the 11th hour, after overall approval was gained, it was changed to go toward the generic fund, a bait and switch. 

I swear, it never ends.  You give a politician just a whiff of money, and they start spending before it is even in their hands.  I should note this tax in on top of the increase in sales tax in Philly, which is only temporary; it's just going to last until the end of time. 

Now it has gotten even worse though.  So many people are shopping outside the city that stores are starting to feel the pain and laying people off.  Pepsi is closing all operation in the city. 

So many liberals blame Pepsi, saying they have no right to do this with the profits they make, or insist people are not shopping outside the city.  Both are crazy; companies can make a profit.  I don't drink soda, so I don't leave the city for that, but I do shop outside the city in NJ or DE and see mostly PA license plates. 

I think we should allow insurance companies to charge people based on how healthy, or unhealthy, they are.  If you're overweight, you need to pay more for insurance, period.  If you don't work out, you pay more for insurance, period.  If you're malnourished because you don't eat vegetables and fruit, you pay more for insurance, period. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:52:47 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2094 on: April 04, 2017, 08:32:04 pm »

I believe I said elsewhere, quoting  Yuval Harari: "Today, more people die from eating too much than from eating too little"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuval_Noah_Harari

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2095 on: April 04, 2017, 09:13:32 pm »

As Michael Pollan says: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”

http://strongertogether.coop/food-lifestyle/michael-pollan-three-simple-rules-for-eating

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2096 on: April 04, 2017, 09:15:16 pm »

What an incredible statement.

The only nation in the developed west to not take care of the health of its citizens.

Europe takes medical care of its people while spending a fraction of their wealth on their military while we defend them spending all our money.  That's nuts!  They aren't the Europe any longer that was after WWII threatened by a Communist Soviet Union that occupied Eastern Europe.  They are now all free, the Soviets have collapsed, and Russia is economically the size of Spain.   True they have nukes.  But so does France and England.   Germany is the 4th largest economy in the world and spends 1/3 percentage wise in what we spend on the military.  What are we doing in NATO any longer?  Let's give Europe 2 years to get their militaries up to speed to defend themselves and let's pull our troops out.  Then we can spend those billions we spend on them on ourselves.  We can't be the policeman of the world any longer. 

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2097 on: April 04, 2017, 09:26:59 pm »

Darn, just when Trump thought the bad stuff might be behind him, this happens...

President Trump's Approval Ratings Just Hit Another Low

President Donald Trump’s approval ratings fell to 35% Tuesday — another new low for the president during his first months in office.
The approval ratings produced by Quinnipiac UniversityQuinnipiac University are a drop from the last national poll, released March 22, which showed Trump's approval at 37%. Trump’s ratings fall under former President Barack Obama’s lowest — 38% in 2013.

According to the poll, the majority of Americans also believe the following about the president:

“He is not honest”
“He does not have good leadership skills”
“He does not care about average Americans”
“He is not level-headed”
“He does not share their values”

Additionally, 52% of voters say they are embarrassed to have Trump has president, according to the poll.

It just keeps getting worse...
#MAGA–not so much :~(

Schewe

« Reply #2098 on: April 04, 2017, 10:30:51 pm »

Well, at least this one is funny!!!

Someone is Photoshopping Images of Donald Trump Wearing Really Long Ties

I remember late last year people were pointing out how long Donald Trump’s ties looked in photos and now a Twitter account @TrumpsTies is having some fun with that idea. The Photoshopping is on point too! Maybe this is a conspiracy to have search results for “Trump” and “Ties” bring up these images instead of anything related to Russia. You be the judge, lots more images below!

Schewe

« Reply #2099 on: April 04, 2017, 11:12:00 pm »

Back to the OMG news...

Please, can someone brief the president on the unemployment rate?

“When you look for a job, you can’t find it and you give up, you are now considered statistically employed. But I don’t consider those people employed.”
— President Trump, remarks to CEO town hall, April 4, 2017

The president made these comments as he described the method of calculating the unemployment rate as “ridiculous.” Since no one at the White House, apparently, has explained to the president how the unemployment rate is calculated, here’s a quick and easy briefing.

Spoiler alert: It’s exactly the opposite of what Trump said.

The Facts

The Bureau of Labor Statistics, which is part of the Labor Department, details the process at length on its website. How the Government Measures Unemployment

The data that makes up the unemployment rate comes from a monthly sample of 60,000 households, or about 110,000 people, from 800 geographic areas across the country. Each household is interviewed for four months, so each month about one-quarter of the households are changed. Census Bureau employees interview the households to determine whether people ages 16 and over have jobs, are seeking jobs or are out of the labor force.

Here are the basic concepts used by the BLS:

• People with jobs are employed.

• People who are jobless, looking for a job and available for work are unemployed.

• The labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed.

• People who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force.

In other words, a person working some period during the week is considered employed. A person who was laid off and is seeking a new job is unemployed. And a person who is a stay-at-home parent or retired is not in the labor force.

Yeah, so on the job training by the President of the United States is ongoing (and not going too well).

#MAGA

He's drowning...throw the poor guy an anchor!
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 331   Go Up