Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918303 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Trump II
« Reply #1920 on: March 28, 2017, 05:26:23 pm »

Sadly...

Trump dramatically changes US approach to climate change

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump signed a sweeping executive order Tuesday at the Environmental Protection Agency, which officials said looks to curb the federal government's enforcement of climate regulations by putting American jobs above addressing climate change.

The order represents a clear difference between how Trump and former President Barack Obama view the role the United States plays in combating climate change, and dramatically alters the government's approach to rising sea levels and temperatures -- two impacts of climate change.

Trump said during the signing that the order will "eliminate federal overreach" and "start a new era of production and job creation."
"My action today is latest in steps to grow American jobs," Trump added, saying his order is "ending the theft of prosperity."

...ending the theft of prosperity

Really? And this is a good idea why?

But it get more serious...

I am an Arctic researcher. Donald Trump is deleting my citations

s an Arctic researcher, I’m used to gaps in data. Just over 1% of US Arctic waters have been surveyed to modern standards. In truth, some of the maps we use today haven’t been updated since the second world war. Navigating uncharted waters can prove difficult, but it comes with the territory of working in such a remote part of the world.

Over the past two months though, I’ve been navigating a different type of uncharted territory: the deleting of what little data we have by the Trump administration.

At first, the distress flare of lost data came as a surge of defunct links on 21 January. The US National Strategy for the Arctic, the Implementation Plan for the Strategy, and the report on our progress all gone within a matter of minutes. As I watched more and more links turned red, I frantically combed the internet for archived versions of our country’s most important polar policies.

I had no idea then that this disappearing act had just begun.

So, some people were called alarmists when scientists started copying data and moving it off shore...seems they were right to do so otherwise important work would be lost.

As Trump would tweet:  Lost data, bad hombres at work...SAD

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1921 on: March 28, 2017, 05:40:23 pm »

It's what Trump ran on.  The pendulum is swinging the other way.

Schewe

« Reply #1922 on: March 28, 2017, 06:09:08 pm »

It's what Trump ran on.

So deleting data is a good thing why?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1923 on: March 28, 2017, 06:27:06 pm »

No, data should be saved.  Frankly, it's hard to believe they deleted it  I'm sure there are backups somewhere.

But, I was referring to his changes at the EPA to back off some of the more oppressive regulations.  When someone can't develop their property because an endangered species once lived there 100 years earlier, and the EPA hopes that somehow the species will re-establish itself there, that's oppressive.  When regulations stop the transportation of oil (XL pipeline) because of some BS ruling that it's no good for the environment or climate control or whatever,  that's also oppressive.  Government control is out-of-hand.  We're turning the environment and climate changes into false religions, idols where people are being sacrificed on its alters.  While man should be a good steward of nature, there's also man's right to use nature.  There has to be a better balance.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #1924 on: March 28, 2017, 06:41:01 pm »

Could be that some US or Canadian groups have already archived the data. In Canada, we went through similar political meddling with our previous government, which started defunding scientific research, altering websites to align with the political party's goals, and trying to gag scientists by restraining them from releasing information before the bureaucrats had vetted it. Other Canadians jumped into the fray and started archiving public data. And as soon as Trump was elected, some of these groups started archiving public scientific data on U.S. sites. Last December, in fact, researchers at the University of Toronto held a "guerrilla archiving" event to preserve information and data from the Environmental Protection Agency.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1925 on: March 28, 2017, 06:43:31 pm »

So, some people were called alarmists when scientists started copying data and moving it off shore...seems they were right to do so otherwise important work would be lost.

Yes, there have been people in my country as well, who have been busy with backing up USA scientific data since November 2016 before it could disappear.

I wonder, isn't the destruction of government property a crime? And when the research was funded by government, isn't it somehow also property of the citizens of the USA, so they too can file complaints and demand repairs? I foresee a lot of litigation.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:07:57 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1926 on: March 28, 2017, 06:48:22 pm »

No, data should be saved.  Frankly, it's hard to believe they deleted it...

+1

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1927 on: March 28, 2017, 08:30:23 pm »

Sadly...

Trump dramatically changes US approach to climate change

...ending the theft of prosperity

Really? And this is a good idea why?

But it get more serious...

I am an Arctic researcher. Donald Trump is deleting my citations

As Trump would tweet:  Lost data, bad hombres at work...SAD
The author Victoria Hermann of the data "loss" article seems to be the only one I could find in Google making the same claim.  I did find this article panning her claim though.
http://scienceblogs.com/stoat/2017/03/28/i-am-an-arctic-researcher-donald-trump-is-deleting-my-citations/

There's so much "fake" news about how Trump is just blowing up the entire world in between his tweetings in the middle of the night, that it's hard to believe any negative claim on the left.  What's going to happen, like the boy who cried wolf, is that a really important issue will come up.  And it will be brushed off as just another BS attack on Trump.  No one's going to pay attention.

Farmer

« Reply #1928 on: March 28, 2017, 10:25:37 pm »

Between golfing and tweeting, it seems fair to question whether Trump really has the time to do anything (like blowing up the world), so Alan may have a point.
Phil Brown

rodney.dugmore

• Rods Photoscapes
« Reply #1929 on: March 29, 2017, 03:02:47 pm »

Those few defending Trump only reinforce the stereotype of what the rest of the world thinks of Americans. :'(

Lucky for us that there are some Americans who don't fit this stereotype.

Lies and stupidity should always be called out . Politically being left or right doesn't always equal right and wrong we see this attitude in politics everywhere.

Anyone who thinks a rich egotistical narcissist actually cares about the poor is blatantly stupid, be assured he will do what is best for him and his friends.
He may have some good policy we have yet to see but judging by policy announced he is constructing an environment where he and his friends can do what they want with no restraint.

Good Luck America

Otto Phocus

« Reply #1930 on: March 29, 2017, 03:19:55 pm »

The word of the day is

Kakistocracy

A word we may be hearing a lot of in the next four years
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

EricV

« Reply #1931 on: March 29, 2017, 05:30:57 pm »

There's so much "fake" news about how Trump is just blowing up the entire world in between his tweetings in the middle of the night, that it's hard to believe any negative claim on the left.  What's going to happen, like the boy who cried wolf, is that a really important issue will come up.  And it will be brushed off as just another BS attack on Trump.  No one's going to pay attention.

It works the other way too.  Trump tweets out so much "fake" news that it is hard to believe any of his claims.  What's going to happen, like the boy who cried wolf, is that a really important issue will come up.  Trump may respond sensibly and accurately, but his claims will be brushed off as just another uninformed inaccurate exaggeration.  No one's going to pay attention.

"If President Trump announces that North Korea launched a missile that landed within 100 miles of Hawaii, would most Americans believe him? Would the rest of the world? We’re not sure, which speaks to the damage that Mr. Trump is doing to his Presidency with his seemingly endless stream of exaggerations, evidence-free accusations, implausible denials and other falsehoods." -- Wall Street Journal

Schewe

« Reply #1932 on: March 29, 2017, 11:29:41 pm »

The author Victoria Hermann of the data "loss" article seems to be the only one I could find in Google making the same claim.  I did find this article panning her claim though.
http://scienceblogs.com/stoat/2017/03/28/i-am-an-arctic-researcher-donald-trump-is-deleting-my-citations/

Just to be clear, the blog post by William M. Connolley wasn't disputing the underlying fact that when Trump and his admin took over the Whitehouse web site, that entire chunks of data was removed–particularly relating to the environment. The ONLY way to access a lot of that data is to find the backup archive of the original web site at https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov. So, any website or documents that referenced the document that Victoria Herrmann was involved creating. So, anybody who had a link off the old website will find broken links...is that bad? Well, it ain't good...and I've not heard anybody from the Whitehouse explain why they decided to blow out the entire old website.

And, yes, Victoria may have been a bit strident in her complaints, but the situation she mentioned regarding wholesale changes and data deletions that happened in Canada How the Harper Government Committed a Knowledge Massacre.

So, what Trump did was delete access to anybody who tries to use the old urls to access the PDF. And actually, the PDF is interesting reading...The National Strategy for the Arctic Region

The National Strategy for the Arctic Region sets forth the United States Government’s strategic priorities for the Arctic region. This strategy is intended to position the United States to respond effectively to challenges and emerging opportunities arising from significant increases in Arctic activity due to the diminishment of sea ice and the emergence of a new Arctic environment. It defines U.S. national security interests in the Arctic region and identifies prioritized lines of effort, building upon existing initiatives by Federal, state, local, and tribal authorities, the private sector, and international partners, and aims to focus efforts where opportunities exist and action is needed. It is designed to meet the reality of a changing Arctic environment, while we simultaneously pursue our global objective of combating the climate changes that are driving these environmental conditions.

So, it wasn't #FAKENEWS as Alan claimed...and the interesting thing is that the blog poster is actually a professional attacker of everything, even Alan's precious Donald. See: Donald trump, ha ha ha

Since repeal of Obamacare was a major campaign promise, Trump looks (a) stupid and (b) a failure. It is worth noting, in passing, that even if the bill had been passed it would have broken any number of promises but I’m doubtful that would have mattered too much, because everyone has a memory like a goldfish nowadays and most of those promises were forgotten seconds after they were uttered. The only meaningful promise was repeal-and-replace; that failed. To me, Trump’s failure to persevere looks… I struggle to find the one key word that sums it up.

Instead of knuckling down to it, instead of rolling up his sleeves and settling in for some hard work persuading doubters, threatening the malleable, and reworking the bill to make it acceptable to enough Republicans, he just gave up. It looks lightweight; careless; petulant. He has long been indifferent to the truth; this makes him indifferent to reality. To say the obvious thing that everyone else has said, it makes his much-vaunted claims to be a peerless dealmaker look suspect. Naturally, he’ll move quickly on to the next thing in the hope that the public’s goldfish-like mind forgets all about it.

So, William M. Connolley isn't much of a friend of Trump...heck, based on his other blog posts, he's not much of a friend of anybody's, not even you Alan :~)

Schewe

« Reply #1933 on: March 29, 2017, 11:36:55 pm »

Really? Doesn't he know this is an American tradition?

Donald Trump declines Nationals' invitation to throw out first pitch on opening day

Donald Trump throws out the ceremonial first pitch before a Red Sox-Yankees game on Aug. 18, 2006, at Fenway Park. (Charles Krupa / Associated Press)

Presidents have regularly thrown out the ceremonial first pitch on Opening Day for Washington's major league team going back more than a century, but the tradition will not resume this year. The Nationals invited President Donald Trump to do the honors on Monday afternoon, when the team opens its 2017 season at Nationals Park against the Miami Marlins, but the White House declined the invitation on Tuesday, citing a scheduling conflict, according to Nationals spokeswoman Jen Giglio.

"The White House has announced that President Trump will not be joining us on Opening Day due to a scheduling conflict," the spokesperson said on Tuesday. "As all of you know, inviting the president is a 100-plus year tradition here in Washington baseball. It began with the Senators back in 1910 and when baseball came back to Washington the Nats continued that tradition."

If he can't throw the ball any better than that, I don't blame him :~)

Schewe

« Reply #1934 on: March 29, 2017, 11:42:41 pm »

Ooooops!

Hawaii judge extends halt on Trump travel ban

A federal judge in Hawaii on Wednesday placed a stronger hold on President Trump's plan to temporarily suspend immigration from six majority Muslim countries, striking another legal blow against the president's attempts to institute a travel ban.

U.S. District Judge Derrick Watson issued the first nationwide halt against Trump's revised executive order on March 15. That made Watson's ruling the prevailing block to Trump's plans, but one only designed to last for about two weeks.

On Wednesday, Watson heard arguments from the attorneys for the Hawaii attorney general and the Department of Justice to determine if the block should be extended. Watson did so, issuing a preliminary injunction that will take a more lasting hold. The next step for the Trump administration would be an appeal to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, which previously ruled against Trump's first travel ban.

#MAGA

Schewe

« Reply #1935 on: March 29, 2017, 11:48:32 pm »

Trump’s loose grip on history is biting him

Riffing during a fundraising dinner before the National Republican Congressional Committee, President Donald Trump asked if anyone knew Abraham Lincoln was a Republican.

“Great president. Most people don't even know he was a Republican," Trump said earlier this month. "Does anyone know? Lot of people don't know that.”

The president’s statement was met with ridicule — and this wasn’t the first time. From implying famed abolitionist Frederick Douglass was still alive to praising both Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay, two bitter rivals, within a week, presidential historians say Trump is showing a lack of a solid grasp on history.

Most recent presidents have entered the Oval Office with a fierce curiosity about their predecessors, but Trump acknowledged not reading any presidential biographies before he clinched the Republican nomination — and he hasn’t indicated he intends to read one soon.

Trump’s remarks Wednesday to the Women’s Empowerment Panel showcased his free-wheeling approach to history. Although he was factually correct about the history of Abigail Adams, Harriet Tubman and Susan B. Anthony, his delivery raised eyebrows. After describing Harriet Tubman as “very, very courageous, believe me,” he asked the audience a strange question about Anthony.

“Have you heard of Susan B. Anthony?” he asked.

No, do tell us about Susan B. Anthony Donald!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1936 on: March 30, 2017, 12:07:52 am »

Ooooops!

Hawaii judge extends halt on Trump travel ban

#MAGA
Trump should ignore the travel ban and just move ahead with developing more stringent vetting.  By the time he appeals the ruling, the 90 days will be up in any case.  So he should be working on the vetting process on its own.  I could be missing something, but stopping or not stopping people from coming in doesn't seem to have any relationship to updating vetting.  If after the 90 days he hasn't done anything, then it would seem that he was issuing the order for political reasons and wasn't serious about the revising the vetting procedures. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1937 on: March 30, 2017, 12:27:35 am »

Those few defending Trump only reinforce the stereotype of what the rest of the world thinks of Americans. :'( ...

Welcome to Lula, Rodney.

One can only wish that you didn't start your forum activity with insults.

Assuming you included me in the "few," I am curious what is the stereotype and how do I fit it?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1938 on: March 30, 2017, 01:08:05 am »

Welcome to Lula, Rodney.

One can only wish that you didn't start your forum activity with insults.

Assuming you included me in the "few," I am curious what is the stereotype and how do I fit it?
We know your type, Slobodan.  You're not fooling us. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1939 on: March 30, 2017, 11:45:24 am »

We know your type, Slobodan.  You're not fooling us. 

You mean highly educated (like most participants on this thread); well-travelled (33 countries, 39 U.S. states, living, working or visiting); lived, worked, and educated in Eastern Europe, Western Europe and the U.S.; work experience in the U.S. government, 4 Fortune 200 U.S. corporations, private startups; speaking three languages fluently, and two elementary; teaching at European and American colleges; etc.?

If that is a stereotypical American, then guilty as charged ;)

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 331   Go Up