Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918330 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Trump II
« Reply #1560 on: March 18, 2017, 01:55:42 pm »

Weather is always more violent compared to past weather that was less violent.
Weather in this year may be more violent than the weather you remember 10 years ago, but lees violent than the weather you don't remember 20 or 30 years ago.

If you've read my posts you should be aware of an important point on this issue. Whenever there is a claim that a particular weather event is the worst in living memory, or the worst on record, this is found to be usually untrue when the turbulence has settled down and the true, historical records are examined.

I can tell you categorically that the derecho we experienced back in 2012 was the worst thing I've experienced and that includes the 2010 Snowmageddon.  I've been living here since 1978 and never experienced anything such as that before.  The Washington Post Weather Gang do an excellent job of documenting current trends and comparing those with past trends.

The fact that CO2 might be a tremendous asset for mankind, and help reduce food shortages in undeveloped countries, and be a free fertilizer everywhere, is a disturbing fact for alarmists.
I don't think CO2 can be defined as a fertilizer as the conventional definition is something that is applied to the soil to promote plant growth.

Because the nature of such alarmists is to create alarm, they respond to this fact that CO2 increases plant growth, which can be demonstrated without doubt, by implying that there are negative consequences in terms of reduced nutrients in food that are grown in elevated CO2 levels, which is another scare.
I'm a biochemist by training (FWIW) and don't buy into this "scare" thesis.

If you search the internet, you will find many reports of this problem, and I've read them because I always try to get both sides of the story.
Basically, if you grow food in the same soil with the same nutrients and the same amount of water, but change only the level of CO2, as in a greenhouse, you will find that a doubling of CO2 in the greenhouse will result in a 30% increase in plant growth, or biomass.
However, when analysing the nutrient value of such food, such as rice, for example, it has been found that the uptake of nutrients by the rice, and the creation of proteins, does not match the total increase in biomass.
Greenhouse data is seldom applicable to what happens out in the real world.  It may be useful data for those that cultivate in greenhouses or hydroponic farms but it's doubtful that it applies to field crops which are the biggies in agriculture.

In other word, the carbohydrate biomass increase of, say, 30%, may be matched by only a 20% increase in protein and micronutrients. There's still an over all increase in protein and micronutrient compared with the rice grown in lower levels of CO2, but it's not as great as the increase in carbohydrates.

This is useful information for anyone interested in nutrition. However, the solution is not to reduce CO2 levels, at great expense, but to add more minerals to the soil, at less expense. Got it?
It is extremely doubtful that you will see field corn, soybeans, or wheat with a 30% increase in biomass as a result of increased CO2 levels.  Kudzu maybe so.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1561 on: March 18, 2017, 04:18:35 pm »

He's already surprising us on an almost daily basis ;)
Good one Pieter.  You do have a sense of humor.  But tell the truth.  Would you rather look at ugly Hillary and her fat butt for 4 years and listen to her cackle?   :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1562 on: March 18, 2017, 04:21:28 pm »

Please provide a citation.  I can find nothing in the German press to substantiate this.
My entire post was satire.  I guess I'm not as funny as I think. :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1563 on: March 18, 2017, 04:25:55 pm »

...Let me explain. The fact that increased CO2 levels encourages greater growth of plants, to varying degrees of course, according to the plant species, is a very inconvenient truth for AGW alarmists.

Unfortunately, global warming and increased CO2 doesn't help me.  My plants still die before they should.  :)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1564 on: March 18, 2017, 04:26:33 pm »

Good one Pieter.  You do have a sense of humor.  But tell the truth.  Would you rather look at ugly Hillary and her fat butt for 4 years and listen to her cackle?   :)
Well Alan, to tell you the truth I was happy that I didn't have to (or wasn't allowed to) vote in the US presidential elections. I felt in the end you guys were between a rock and a hard place. Probably my most favoured candidate was Kasich, but he didn't make it, too straight and non-controversial. It seems you have to be more and more extreme and controversial to stand a chance of getting through to the end these days. If that trend continues it doesn't bode well for 4 or 8 years from now. Btw, I don't think this is only happening in the US, it's happening all over the world in many countries.
pieter, aka pegelli

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1565 on: March 18, 2017, 04:31:37 pm »

G20 financial leaders row back on free trade pledge:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-g20-germany-trade-idUSKBN16P0FN

Well, looks like the beginning of the end of free international trade with the USA is in the making, unless something changes before July next.

Guess the rest of the world will have to concentrate on more reliable partnerships?

Cheers,
Bart
Trump believes in free trade as long as its fair.  If you tax our exports and we don't tax your exports to us, that's not fair.  Trump will threaten to put an import tax on your exports to us but would rather you drop your tax on ours.  Then we'll have free and fair trade. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1566 on: March 18, 2017, 04:41:21 pm »

... I didn't have to (or wasn't allowed to) vote in the US presidential elections...

Oh!? So many others voted illegally, I am sure we'd fit you in ;)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1567 on: March 18, 2017, 04:45:59 pm »

Trump believes in free trade as long as its fair.

Fair? You mean the rest of the world should charge the USA higher tariffs because the USA is going to pollute our earth more?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1568 on: March 18, 2017, 04:56:19 pm »

Well Alan, to tell you the truth I was happy that I didn't have to (or wasn't allowed to) vote in the US presidential elections. I felt in the end you guys were between a rock and a hard place. Probably my most favoured candidate was Kasich, but he didn't make it, too straight and non-controversial. It seems you have to be more and more extreme and controversial to stand a chance of getting through to the end these days. If that trend continues it doesn't bode well for 4 or 8 years from now. Btw, I don't think this is only happening in the US, it's happening all over the world in many countries.
Maybe we can get Melania to run or one of those Fox dolls. 

I don't think it's because we want extreme and controversial by itself.  I think what's happening is that the standard politicians have not done well for their people.  The economy stinks for many.  Jobs are down all over.  People feel that most politicians are just phony.  They think they should run things like it's a birthright. They talk a lot but don't mean what they say.  So people are drawn to more exciting candidates.  They want to shake things up.  They appeal to patriotism.  France for the French.  The Netherlands for the Dutch.  America for Americans. 

Republican nominee Jeb Bush was a great guy.  A decent fellow.  His father and brother were Presidents.  He comes from a terrific family. Had loads of money for his campaign.  He was kind of boring but he spoke well, knew his stuff and clearly expressed himself.   He was suppose to win.  Well, he got 5% of the vote during the nomination process.  An embarassment.  But people were tired of the elite and their promises,  who do nothing after they get into office.  One thing.  You may not like what Trump's going to do.  But it's go to shake things up around the world.  Those who said he had no plan were and are mistaken.  Internationally, he intends to leverage American power and wealth to put America back into the driver's seat to protect its interests.  It's going to tick off a lot of countries.  Nationally, he intends to get rid of the usually government's go along to get along habits.  He wants to give power back to the individual.  He wants to "drain the swamp" of crony capitalism and government elitism where politicians and business people are joined at the hip and feed off the average American.  If he pulls it off, and I think it will be difficult, he will change the way America had been doing business for decades.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1569 on: March 18, 2017, 04:57:00 pm »

Bart, it's easy not to pollute when you are not manufacturing anything  :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:00:11 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

pegelli

« Reply #1570 on: March 18, 2017, 05:03:43 pm »

Oh!? So many others voted illegally, I am sure we'd fit you in ;)
I'd have to choose my state to vote (illegally) very carefully. If I'm not mistaken a vote only matters in less then 20% of the states. And then it needs to be one where there are sufficient loopholes for illegal voters to go unnoticed. So while it can be done I don't think it's real easy.
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

« Reply #1571 on: March 18, 2017, 05:11:09 pm »

Maybe we can get Melania to run or one of those Fox dolls.
If Melania runs I might have a great tip for a good speechwriter for her ;).
But she can't, she's born in the wrong country so it has to be one of the Fox dolls.

Not that it matters, but I wasn't too enthusiastic about Jeb Bush. his father only managed one term (not a disgrace, but it tells something) and his brother started the whole Iraq disaster based on shaky intelligence (to say it mildly) and without a clear picture of the end-game in mind. Sure, some others piled in on top but if he hadn't gone in there would have been nothing to pile on. So I can understand why even the Republican voters weren't going to let him take a run at the presidency.
pieter, aka pegelli

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1572 on: March 18, 2017, 05:13:35 pm »

Ok, after 80 pages, the thread turned into jokes mostly. Or was it a joke from the beginning? Or just befitting the president? And how else shall I end this post but with :) :D :'(

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1573 on: March 18, 2017, 05:17:00 pm »

... I wasn't too enthusiastic about Jeb Bush...

Who was?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1574 on: March 18, 2017, 05:30:02 pm »

Who was?

That's a funny picture.  I love the orgasmic woman in the front who wants to give her baby to Trump.  "Bless my child.  Bless my child."  And poor Bush in the background with everyone snoozing.  The funniest moment that I remember from his campaign was when he was speaking to a group of towns people like the one in the picture.  He made some interesting point, and the crowd didn't respond at all.  So he looked around and said in disgust, "OK you can applaud now."  I really felt bad for him.  He lost the campaign right then. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1575 on: March 18, 2017, 05:30:28 pm »

Yes Slobodan, we haven't after 80 pages changed anyone's mind.  So what's left but to tell jokes.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1576 on: March 18, 2017, 06:00:15 pm »

Bart, it's easy not to pollute when you are not manufacturing anything  :P

Slobodan, that's why I asked "Fair?".

How to compare what is fair, if one party e.g. calculates the cost of the Carbon footprint and adds that to the cost price, while another doesn't even consider that cost element? That would also mean that the products that China currently produces, actually cost more than they are now sold for, not only because labor is cheaper or working conditions are poor. State subsidies is another thing. Research and Development cost, what if a country doesn't contribute anything but only produces stuff? Patents?

What is fair?

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:05:06 pm by BartvanderWolf »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1577 on: March 18, 2017, 06:17:20 pm »

Fair? You mean the rest of the world should charge the USA higher tariffs because the USA is going to pollute our earth more?

Cheers,
Bart
Trump will only match our tariffs to your tariffs to make it fair.  If you have a tariff, then you should lower it to match ours.  It would be fair also.  Which is better for trade and fairness.  Regarding pollution, we have to drive further to get places :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1578 on: March 18, 2017, 06:19:30 pm »

Plus most Americans are fat and can't squeeze into those little Fiats.  We need SUV's.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1579 on: March 18, 2017, 06:36:21 pm »

Trump will only match our tariffs to your tariffs to make it fair.  If you have a tariff, then you should lower it to match ours.

Meaning others should also disregard environmental concerns, like the number 2 (?) polluter of the planet? Meaning others should also disinfect their chickens with chlorine? Meaning whom ever pays the lowest wages sets the price? Or who has the least efficient production process sets a higher price for others to match?

Fair?

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 331   Go Up