Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918083 times)

Otto Phocus

Re: Trump II
« Reply #1300 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:02 am »

Look, Trump isn't an English major or an experienced politician who knows or cares what each word means.  He speaks very colloquially.  I suspect he'll get better as time goes on.  In the meanwhile, he speaks in broad, sometimes confusing terms.  But we all know that.  That's who he is.  Instead of the press using good editorial judgment, the liberal media try to find the most base interpretation to try to make him look bad.  Everyday they keep piling on.  Everything is a negative; nothing he does is positive.  Like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", pretty soon no one is going to listen  to the press.  So when he finally does something that is truly "bad", no one is going to pay attention just brushing it aside as another fake, politically motivated hit.

You would think that after Bush Jr and Obama that we have learned that PotUS is not an entry level job.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1301 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:13 am »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/09/illegal-border-crossings-decrease-by-40-percent-in-trumps-first-month-report-says.html

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/08/politics/border-crossings-huge-drop-trump-tough-talk/
I was talking about the ineffectiveness of the EO to reduce legal travel from a certain number of ME countries, not these type of illegal border crossings. So dream on if you think changing the subject refutes my statement ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:17:57 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

« Reply #1302 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:18 am »

Dream on.
I'm not dreaming, I agree there are mean spirited killing Muslims but likewise there are mean spirited killing Christians. Both kill and hide behind their religion when they do so but both are equally wrong. That doesn't mean all Christians or all Muslims are killers. 
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

« Reply #1303 on: March 14, 2017, 09:58:25 am »

Instead of the press using good editorial judgment, the liberal media try to find the most base interpretation to try to make him look bad.  Everyday they keep piling on.  Everything is a negative; nothing he does is positive.  Like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", pretty soon no one is going to listen  to the press.  So when he finally does something that is truly "bad", no one is going to pay attention just brushing it aside as another fake, politically motivated hit.
Just like the conservative press did with Obama, why are you so upset now that it's the other way around? (sorry for stealing one of your arguments ;) )
pieter, aka pegelli

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1305 on: March 14, 2017, 10:49:59 am »

maybe because they go to Canada now.

Illegal migrants crossing Canada’s borders are hopping off planes in New York and busing directly north

Which makes the policy even more efficient, as those crossing into Canada were already in the States. That is, not only there are less new illegals, but the old ones are leaving too.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1306 on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:48 am »

...there are mean spirited killing Muslims but likewise there are mean spirited killing Christians...

False equivalence.

pegelli

« Reply #1307 on: March 14, 2017, 10:55:05 am »

False equivalence.
Care to explain this hyperbole?
pieter, aka pegelli

Jim Metzger

« Reply #1308 on: March 14, 2017, 10:57:29 am »

Alan,

I am thinking about your comment, "If it only keeps out one terrorist who would blow himself up in a crowded American marketplace, it's worth it.

If I would logically follow up on that, if one gun is used to kill we should ban all guns, if one person dies due to lack of access to healthcare we should have healthcare for everyone. There should be zero tolerance for any type of pollution, I think you see where I am going with this. By the way, I don't think we should ban all guns although the process to obtain them is woefully inadequate and I do believe there should be universal healthcare.

There is risk, I don't think anyone denies this but it must be weighed against the suffering and death of tens of thousands of people who we could help. The current vetting process is 2 years long, it is already "extreme" and none of the countries being banned by the President had people involved in 9-11. Our "local" terrorists have been in this country for years, many of them are Christian Fundamentalists or other "religious" groups. The truth is we cannot prevent every instance of terrorism or any other harmful thing, although we have been doing a pretty good job of it.

Bastardization of religion has been an excuse used for millennia to claim some moral superiority over others, making them "less human" and justifying their extinction.

My condolences on the loss of your niece, I live just outside NYC and know many people who lost loved ones or who narrowly escaped their own death.

I believe we make the world a more peaceful and safer place by reaching out a helpful hand rather than slamming a door in the face of those who need help.

Jim

pegelli

« Reply #1309 on: March 14, 2017, 10:58:31 am »

That is, not only there are less new illegals, but the old ones are leaving too.
Somebody has to clean the pools and do the gardens in in the southern states, who's going to do that (for the same price) when the illegal Middle/South Americans are leaving?
pieter, aka pegelli

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1310 on: March 14, 2017, 11:00:34 am »

I was talking about the ineffectiveness of the EO to reduce legal travel from a certain number of ME countries, not these type of illegal border crossings. So dream on if you think changing the subject refutes my statement ;)

I know. My point being that, while the EO might have been "ineffective" in its stated purpose, the very manner in which it was implemented, rough and sometimes ruthless, sent a clear message to potential illegal immigrants that there is a new sheriff in town.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1311 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:34 am »

Somebody has to clean the pools and do the gardens in in the southern states, who's going to do that (for the same price) when the illegal Middle/South Americans are leaving?

The price is going to go up until Americans pick up the slack. That's the whole point. Raising incomes through jobs, not welfare.

James Clark

James Clark

« Reply #1313 on: March 14, 2017, 11:15:12 am »

Alan,

I am thinking about your comment, "If it only keeps out one terrorist who would blow himself up in a crowded American marketplace, it's worth it.

If I would logically follow up on that, if one gun is used to kill we should ban all guns, if one person dies due to lack of access to healthcare we should have healthcare for everyone. There should be zero tolerance for any type of pollution, I think you see where I am going with this. By the way, I don't think we should ban all guns although the process to obtain them is woefully inadequate and I do believe there should be universal healthcare.

There is risk, I don't think anyone denies this but it must be weighed against the suffering and death of tens of thousands of people who we could help. The current vetting process is 2 years long, it is already "extreme" and none of the countries being banned by the President had people involved in 9-11. Our "local" terrorists have been in this country for years, many of them are Christian Fundamentalists or other "religious" groups. The truth is we cannot prevent every instance of terrorism or any other harmful thing, although we have been doing a pretty good job of it.

Bastardization of religion has been an excuse used for millennia to claim some moral superiority over others, making them "less human" and justifying their extinction.

My condolences on the loss of your niece, I live just outside NYC and know many people who lost loved ones or who narrowly escaped their own death.

I believe we make the world a more peaceful and safer place by reaching out a helpful hand rather than slamming a door in the face of those who need help.

Jim

Well said, Jim.  There are a faction of people that would willing sacrifice 1,000 , or 10,000, or 100,000  of "them" to save one of "us." Tribalism is an ugly thing.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1314 on: March 14, 2017, 11:15:34 am »

These days they point a laser at a flat surface in a room (like the door of a microwave) and measure the vibrations to detect what is being said...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_microphone

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1315 on: March 14, 2017, 11:17:02 am »

Just like the conservative press did with Obama, why are you so upset now that it's the other way around? (sorry for stealing one of your arguments ;) )
It is true that the conservative press attacked Obama, often unfairly.  The difference is the rest of the press making up about 90% of it, loved Obama.  To Liberal media, he could do no wrong.  They protected him constantly.  He could do no wrong.  With Trump and most Republicans and conservative politicians, most of the media is not so kind.  We get it.  That's why we call it fake news.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1316 on: March 14, 2017, 11:20:37 am »

... There are a faction of people that would willing sacrifice 1,000 , or 10,000, or 100,000  of "them" to save one of "us." Tribalism is an ugly thing.

A.k.a. humanity. Isn't that what the human history has all been about? Survival of the fittest and protection of one's own?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1317 on: March 14, 2017, 11:30:10 am »

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/isis-american-south-lynching/

And the difference is "only" 70-140 years.

Not to mention the conclusion of the article itself:

No, the American South (and other parts of America where racial terrorists ran rampant) was never run by fanatical theocrats who used grotesque public murders as a tool of terror.

James Clark

« Reply #1318 on: March 14, 2017, 11:45:17 am »

And the difference is "only" 70-140 years.

Not to mention the conclusion of the article itself:

The point isn't that it's happening right now, the point is that you've been making the argument that Islam is uniquely violent and terroristic.  Just because the Klan (a perverted but overtly "Christian" organization) has been shamed and legislated into silence doesn't mean that the ethnic violence that was just ending when I was born ('72) can be disregarded, or that those undercurrents don't still lurk, just waiting for an opportunity to rear their disgusting heads. 

(Northern Ireland might be a more contemporary example of how good white "Christians" of differing sects indulge their intertwined ethno-nationalistic religiosity with terror, but it's not a history I'm particularly familiar with, beyond the Catholic/Protestant divide that has historically been problematic in the UK)

Finally,  maybe it would be helpful if you quoted the entire conclusion next time. Here's the part you left out:

But if you were a black in the years 1877-1950, this was a distinction without much meaningful difference.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:55:11 am by James Clark »

James Clark

« Reply #1319 on: March 14, 2017, 11:48:46 am »

A.k.a. humanity. Isn't that what the human history has all been about? Survival of the fittest and protection of one's own?

Perhaps.  But maybe what needs changing is the definition of "one's own," and (especially) the encouragement of said tribalism for personal or political benefit. 

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 331   Go Up