Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918048 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Trump II
« Reply #1160 on: March 10, 2017, 11:14:33 am »

Having Tillerson as Sec of State is an advantage.  First, Tillerson, as CEO of the world's largest oil company, had a lot of experience dealing with heads of state throughout the world including Putin.  He's no slouch.  He's a tough negotiator.  Second, in future discussions with Russia, Putin will treat him as a friend, or at least as someone he could do business with and trust.  After all, he gave him a Russian medal.  So there has to be a good level of trust between them.  And they know each other.  It's easier to work things out with people you know and trust.  I understand you don't like Trump and many of his policies.  That's OK.  You may have many valid reasons to believe that.  But with Tillerson, I think you ought to wait and see.  You might be very surprised.     

We'll be making a big mistake if we allow our own national politics effect how we handle international affairs.
I thought Tillerson was a good choice.  Unfortunately he is being undercut by some in the White House who have prevented him from hiring his own staff (Elliott Cohen was vetoed because he opposed Trump during the election).  He's really out there by his lonesome self in that regard.  I'm not sure receiving a medal from President Putin counts for much.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1161 on: March 10, 2017, 11:20:23 am »

Russia should be our best frenemy.

+1 Good word for Putin.  Not as nice as Gorbachev. But a lot better than Stalin. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1162 on: March 10, 2017, 11:32:39 am »

Trump and many experts see China as the main threat to us going forward.  Russia, not so much. Those islands China built up into military bases are no joke to us or our allies there.  Plus getting Russia with us would put a friend of sorts on the northern border of China.

I'm afraid that is wishful thinking. In general, 'Russians' interpret everything as a complot staged against them. They have learned to not trust anybody except, perhaps, themselves.

There is no bromance in the air. Besides, Trump wouldn't be able to stand Putin's 'approval' rating of 83% and blame dishonest Russian media for spreading fake news. That'll quickly kill any seed of trust.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Otto Phocus

« Reply #1163 on: March 10, 2017, 11:33:39 am »

But a lot better than Stalin.

That is setting a high bar.   ;D

Can you imagine your epitaph being "well, at least he was better than Stalin."  LoL
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1164 on: March 10, 2017, 11:53:05 am »

I thought Tillerson was a good choice.  Unfortunately he is being undercut by some in the White House who have prevented him from hiring his own staff (Elliott Cohen was vetoed because he opposed Trump during the election).  He's really out there by his lonesome self in that regard.  I'm not sure receiving a medal from President Putin counts for much.

I was curious what the medal was for:  "Order of Friendship, which is given to foreign citizens for "special merits in strengthening peace, friendship, cooperation and mutual understanding between peoples." It is also awarded for those who make a "great contribution" to "large-scale economic projects" in Russia.

Apparently the medal was given to Tillerson in 2011 when Rosneft, Russia's oil company, signed a big deal with Tillerson's Exxon.  Exxon since then has lost about a billion dollars because of the sanctions imposed by America.  So lifting the sanctions would help Exxon.  Tillerson has rid himself of all Exxon asset's, I believe.   Let's hope that he'll put America first in all his dealings. 

Elliot Cohen tends to want to use military force too much.  He advocated war with Iraq in 2001.  Do we really need another war? 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1165 on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:46 am »

That is setting a high bar.   ;D

Can you imagine your epitaph being "well, at least he was better than Stalin."  LoL

Which reminds me of the story of WC Fields, an American comic of the 1920's and 30's.  He really hated Philadelphia with a passion.  He said he wanted his epitaph to read, "I'd rather be here than in Philadelphia."

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1166 on: March 10, 2017, 12:06:36 pm »

Which reminds me of another one this time at the bottom of a bronze statue of a man in uniform riding on a charging stallion who strived all his life to do great things:

President - Warrior Hero - Captain of Industry
  But Still a Disappointment To His Mother

Hmm.  Trump?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1167 on: March 10, 2017, 04:02:06 pm »

Another example of weasel reporting:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/09/man-arrested-after-injuring-five-people-in-duesseldorf-axe-attack

Subtitle (bold mine): Police say there is no indication of terrorist motive after detaining 36-year-old from the former Yugoslavia

Every time they use weaseling descriptions, you know they are trying to hide something. Also, claiming "mental illness" first and immediately discounting terrorism, seems to be a standard MO these days.

Never mind that the phrase "former Yugoslavia" is used to cover up the fact that he is a Muslim from Kosovo.

James Clark

« Reply #1168 on: March 10, 2017, 04:15:33 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/09/man-arrested-after-injuring-five-people-in-duesseldorf-axe-attack

Subtitle (bold mine): Police say there is no indication of terrorist motive after detaining 36-year-old from the former Yugoslavia

Every time they use weaseling descriptions, you know they are trying to hide something. Also, claiming "mental illness" first and immediately discounting terrorism, seems to be a standard MO these days.

Never mind that the phrase "former Yugoslavia" is used to cover up the fact that he is a Muslim from Kosovo.

Out of curiosity, how would you rewrite that to be "accurate?"

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1169 on: March 10, 2017, 04:30:21 pm »

Russia should be our best frenemy.

They used to be, for Europe at least. with some minor gastransport quibbles, everything seemed relatively in balance. But Putin has made it abundantly clear that he wouldn't accept expansion of NATO borders and influence in to Ukraine. Kind of obvious considering the importance of crimea for both its defence and economy.

Similarly, the islands in the south china sea are considered important means for china to control and defend its shipping routes. They are not steppingstones to worlddomination. If that's what they are after, then i don"t think those islands will make a iota of difference.

Kind of reminds me of the Tony Blair tour prior to invading Iraq. Every ally in the middle east told him it would destabilize the region, and boy, were they right if ever...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1170 on: March 10, 2017, 04:37:08 pm »

Just mention it.

Mentioning "former Yugoslavia" instead is a bit disingenuous, as the country does not exist the last 25 years. However, Kosovo, as an independent country, does now exist, and while not recognized by a number of other countries in the world, is recognized by Germany.

James Clark

« Reply #1171 on: March 10, 2017, 04:50:41 pm »

Just mention it.

Mentioning "former Yugoslavia" instead is a bit disingenuous, as the country does not exist the last 25 years. However, Kosovo, as an independent country, does now exist, and while not recognized by a number of other countries in the world, is recognized by Germany.

Do you think that by substituting "Kosovo" for (the admittedly awkward) "former Yugoslavia" implies to the greater western world that there's some Muslim funny business at the root of the incident?  Speaking only for myself, but as someone who has had an office in the Balkans for the better part of 15 years now and is consequently far more familiar with that region that your average American, "Kosovo" isn't synonymous with "Muslim extremist" to me.

Look, clearly we disagree on the extent to which Islam, and rank-and-file Muslims in general, pose a threat to the west on any given day, but feel like you're too-frequently looking for equivocation where in reality it's at best (currently) just uncertain reporting on a developing situation.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1172 on: March 10, 2017, 05:14:27 pm »

Do you think that by substituting "Kosovo" for (the admittedly awkward) "former Yugoslavia" implies to the greater western world that there's some Muslim funny business at the root of the incident?...

The original reporting came from the German authorities and press, and they are certainly very familiar with what Kosovo is, given how actively they supported KLA. As for Americans, KLA (Kosovo Liberation Army) was for years on the State Department terrorist organizations list, so there is that. Several newer cases of terrorism in the USA were guys from Kosovo. As for the "greater western world," most are certainly familiar with the NATO bombing campaign to protect them, and one reason given to the public is that they were persecuted as Muslims. So, yes, many in the western world either know or should know the connection between Kosovo, Muslims, and terrorism.

One source I am sure you trust, The New York Times: "How Kosovo Was Turned Into Fertile Ground for ISIS"

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/world/europe/how-the-saudis-turned-kosovo-into-fertile-ground-for-isis.html

Over the last two years, the police have identified 314 Kosovars — including two suicide bombers, 44 women and 28 children — who have gone abroad to join the Islamic State, the highest number per capita in Europe.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1173 on: March 10, 2017, 05:31:04 pm »

...Similarly, the islands in the south china sea are considered important means for china to control and defend its shipping routes. They are not steppingstones to worlddomination. If that's what they are after, then i don"t think those islands will make a iota of difference...

Those shipping lanes don't belong to China.  They are not the only ones who use them. In addition, China violated international law in taking those islands.  The were found unanimously guilty in the Hague.  Of course, as a flip on what we've heard recently, Power Talks to Truth.  No one did anything about it, so now it belongs to them.  From 2012-2015, Obama stopped sending the US FLeet through that area.  China jumped into the vacuum and built up those islands.  Now, Trump and Mattis is sending the fleet through there again but it's too late unless we want to take heavy military action, which we won't.  If the Philippines want their islands back, they'll have to fight China for them on their own. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/world/asia/south-china-sea-hague-ruling-philippines.html?_r=0

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1174 on: March 10, 2017, 05:35:49 pm »

Keep it simple and to the point. Here is how the German Spiegel reported it:

Der 36 Jahre alte Mann aus dem Kosovo hatte am Vorabend neun Menschen mit einer Axt verletzt, vier von ihnen schwer. Unter den Verletzten sind auch ein 13-jähriges Mädchen aus Düsseldorf und zwei italienische Touristinnen.

The 36-year-old man from Kosovo had injured nine people with an ax in the evening, four of them seriously. Among the injured are also a 13-year-old girl from Düsseldorf and two Italian tourists.

On the other hand, you could also say that the man came from an area that was at one time ruled by Romans.

scyth

« Reply #1175 on: March 10, 2017, 05:36:31 pm »

However, Kosovo, as an independent country

so unfortunate that Putin was late to the seat - otherwise KLA 'd be bombed into oblivion...

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1176 on: March 10, 2017, 05:39:22 pm »

The only time it isn't mental health problems is when a white, Western, Christian man attacks a person of color or different heritage or religion.  Then it's racism.  Everyone else gets a pass.  That's PC and fake news. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1177 on: March 10, 2017, 06:04:57 pm »

Hm, the man was born 36 years ago, in what was then known as 'Yugoslavia'. It only effectively became Kosovo since 1999 and on February 17, 2008, the Albanian majority unilaterally declared independence. So the man was born in what is often called 'former Yugoslavia' (because it is officially recognized as Kosovo by 108 of the 193 members of the United Nation).

How is that weaseling? Seems like an accurate description. The man apparently is said to have been running up and down the platform carrying a weapon/ax.

Ah, Islamophobia strikes again?

Kosovo has 3 major religions; Islam, Roman Catholic, and Serbian-orthodox. I have no idea what religion the assailant subscribes to, or if he is practicing any. He did seem to have mental issues, but I'd not call that religiously motivated.
Also, the 93% Albanian majority define their ethnic unity by language, not by religion. The 7% minority, do identify by religious unity. I have no idea from which group the assailant originates, or what motivated his act.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1178 on: March 10, 2017, 06:13:11 pm »

Those shipping lanes don't belong to China.  They are not the only ones who use them. In addition, China violated international law in taking those islands.  The were found unanimously guilty in the Hague.  Of course, as a flip on what we've heard recently, Power Talks to Truth.  No one did anything about it, so now it belongs to them.  From 2012-2015, Obama stopped sending the US FLeet through that area.  China jumped into the vacuum and built up those islands.  Now, Trump and Mattis is sending the fleet through there again but it's too late unless we want to take heavy military action, which we won't.  If the Philippines want their islands back, they'll have to fight China for them on their own. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/world/asia/south-china-sea-hague-ruling-philippines.html?_r=0

I agree fully. The routes don't belong to China, but they are important to them. The islands don't belong to China, and there are several reasons why I believe their (re)possession or confiscating or strong-arming is questionable, not in the least btw the ecological implications. But yes, if you don't defend your territory, it may get stolen from you. On the other hand, I don't know whether there have been (failed) negotiations over their use, and I don't know whether they are worth starting WWIII over, if the main objective of China is merely being able to properly defend the shippinglanes (against pirate terrorist like in the gulf region for example), a defence which also benefits other nations.

For the record: I'm not a China fan, nor a Putin fan, but some of these subjects seem to get equally manipulated in the news.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1179 on: March 10, 2017, 06:42:47 pm »

I agree fully. The routes don't belong to China, but they are important to them. The islands don't belong to China, and there are several reasons why I believe their (re)possession or confiscating or strong-arming is questionable, not in the least btw the ecological implications. But yes, if you don't defend your territory, it may get stolen from you. On the other hand, I don't know whether there have been (failed) negotiations over their use, and I don't know whether they are worth starting WWIII over, if the main objective of China is merely being able to properly defend the shippinglanes (against pirate terrorist like in the gulf region for example), a defence which also benefits other nations.

For the record: I'm not a China fan, nor a Putin fan, but some of these subjects seem to get equally manipulated in the news.

The question is what will Trump do when these happen in the future?  Will he operate America as the world's policeman?  Will he become like Obama where his bark is worse then his bite?  Will he let Mattis decide for him?  These are real war and peace issues that few are talking about, especially the popular news outlets and the public.  They rather talk about Trump's irrational and hyperbolic tweets about how the last administration was out to get him or how the Russians made out Hillary to look like a witch.  Meanwhile the rest of the world is figuring out how they can take advantage of the political distractions in Washington.  If we don't stop the constant bickering, America and the rest of the world are in for some hard times. 
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 331   Go Up