Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 918417 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Trump II
« Reply #6520 on: September 28, 2017, 02:35:59 pm »

It gets better.  The White House Economic Adviser "advises" Americans that "The wealthy are not getting a tax cut".

The advisor's name?  Cohn.  Gary Cohn.

Perfect.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/28/trump-tax-reform-tax-cuts-243246?lo=ap_c1
Of course we have no clue about any of this until we see an actual piece of legislation that outlines how everything will be handled.  The big issue will be pass through corporations such as LLPs and LLCs that are able to move an individual into a lower 'corporate' bracket from their individual bracket.  These are the types of tax shelters that real estate developers, hedge fund, and the like use.  Since we do not have access to President Trump's taxes, there is no way to assess his whether his statement that he will not be getting a tax break from this proposal is true or not.  Most real estate holding companies such as Trump's and Kushner's are a complex maze of multiple LLCs.  I'm sure they will make out quite well under any "tax reform" proposal.  It's ironic that Gary Cohn's former company Goldman Sachs would be doing much better today had they kept to the partnership model rather than going public as a stock company.  Since they are a bank, most of the expense write offs being discussed are not applicable to them whereas they might see a huge gain were they pass through company.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6521 on: September 28, 2017, 04:33:59 pm »

Since we do not have access to President Trump's taxes, there is no way to assess his whether his statement that he will not be getting a tax break from this proposal is true or not.

Yes we do...

Based on Politifact's compiling of Trump's lies (being about 60% of the time) we have about a 30% chance Trump is telling the truth when he talks about anything...so the odds are real good that what Trump says about this new tax reform is a lie.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6522 on: September 28, 2017, 05:12:12 pm »

With Tax Cuts on the Table, Once-Mighty Deficit Hawks Hardly Chirp

For years, Republican lawmakers lamented the soaring national debt, pressing for spending cuts and clinging to the mantle of fiscal responsibility. But last week, Senate Republicans hammered out a deal to allow for as much as $1.5 trillion in tax cuts, betting that supercharged growth will make up for lost revenue, a potentially dubious prospect.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/us/politics/trump-tax-cuts-deficit-republicans-congress.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Schewe

« Reply #6523 on: September 28, 2017, 05:54:31 pm »

...so the odds are real good that what Trump says about this new tax reform is a lie.

Like I said...lies spew forth when Trump opens his mouth to speak!

Donald Trump's Pants on Fire claim about the estate tax, small businesses and farms

Quick, grab the fire extinguisher!!!

Our ruling
Trump said that ending the estate tax would "protect millions of small businesses and the American farmer."

That’s a ridiculously high estimate. Only 5,460 estates even pay the tax each year, according to a credible estimate, and of those, about 80 represented small businesses or farms. We rate the statement Pants on Fire.

Donald the Liar said:
Ending the estate tax would "protect millions of small businesses and the American farmer."
Indianapolis – Wednesday, September 27, 2017

In fact, it's really a major tax break for the 0.1%ers...

So how many estates are affected by the tax? Not many, and the people who pay it are usually among the country’s richest families.

For 2017, the Tax Policy Center estimated, based on past tax data and modeling, that 11,310 individuals will have estates big enough to file an estate tax return. "After allowing for deductions and credits, 5,460 estates will owe tax," the center concluded. "Over two-thirds of these taxable estates will come from the top 10 percent of income earners and close to one-fourth will come from the top 1 percent alone."

The top 10 percent of income earners would pay 88 percent of estate tax revenues, the center found, while the richest 0.1 percent could pay 27 percent.

So, ask yourself this...does this help you at all?

If so, what the hell are you doing posting here on LuLa–go out and spend your millions going to great places to shoot your obscenely expensive camera equipment. Oh, wait...that covers a lot of us  8)

Schewe

« Reply #6524 on: September 28, 2017, 06:10:30 pm »

See foot...grab foot...stick in mouth...then choke. That's what Elaine Duke just did...

Homeland Security chief Elaine Duke just made Trump's Puerto Rico problem worse

Washington (CNN)After spending the weekend tweeting about the NFL and why its owners should force players to stand during the National Anthem, President Donald Trump has spent this week playing catchup on the still-unfolding humanitarian crisis in the wake of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.

On Thursday afternoon, acting Homeland Security head Elaine Duke made that task even more complicated. Duke was asked by reporters at the White House whether she was satisfied with the federal government's response to Hurricane Maria and the devastation it has wrought.
Here's her answer (bolding is mine):

"I am very satisfied. I know it's a hard storm to recover from but the amount of progress that's been made, and I really would appreciate any support that we get. I know it is really a good news story in terms of our ability to reach people and the limited number of deaths that have taken place in such a devastating hurricane."

Remember the context here. Puerto Rico is dealing with mass devastation. They have no power. Food is in short supply. So is water.

Given that some of those most basic needs aren't being met -- and the fact that Trump's administration has come under fire for not moving as aggressively to address the devastation caused by Maria as it did for hurricanes Irma and Harvey -- Duke's comment feels deeply out of touch.

Remember that just yesterday, Trump had to defend himself from criticism he was distracted from Puerto Rico by his NFL fight. "Was I preoccupied? Not at all," Trump told reporters Wednesday. "Not at all. I have plenty of time on my hands. All I do is work."

Focusing on process is almost never a good thing for politicians -- and that goes double or even triple when you are dealing with ANY loss of life or ANY sort of humanitarian crisis.

I would guess that Elaine Duke is a tiny bit out of touch with reality (and perhaps should be out of a job)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6525 on: September 28, 2017, 06:46:56 pm »

Only according to white supremist groups and the far right...any group that Bannon hates is ok in my book!

Do you include the Wall Street Journal in that distinguished group?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-insidious-influence-of-the-splc-1498085416

The Insidious Influence of the SPLC

Its branding of ‘hate groups’ and individuals is biased, sometimes false—and feeds polarization.

Schewe

« Reply #6526 on: September 28, 2017, 07:08:41 pm »

Do you include the Wall Street Journal in that distinguished group?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-insidious-influence-of-the-splc-1498085416

Sorry, can't read the article...and a headline and subhead can't give context to the story itself. Got any other sources that can be read without a subscription?

(and in general I find the WSJ pretty far on the right side of the political spectrum because, you know, it's owned by Rupert Murdoch. Not a very progressive sort of guy–just saying')

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #6527 on: September 28, 2017, 07:36:32 pm »

and in general I find the WSJ pretty far on the right side of the political spectrum because, you know, it's owned by Rupert Murdoch.

The news articles in the Journal still qualify as accurate reporting, as far as I can tell, as they did before the Murdoch acquisition.  The opinion pieces tend to have a strong conservative bias—usually business conservative, which was also the case before the Murdoch acquisition, rather than right-wing Bannonista populist.  (Although arguably since Murdoch acquired it, the paper may be more receptive to extreme views than it was in the pre-Murdoch era.)

Edited to improve punctuation.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:43:21 pm by Chris Kern »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6528 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:53 pm »

The news articles in the Journal still qualify as accurate reporting, as far as I can tell, as they did before the Murdoch acquisition.  The opinion pieces tend to have a strong conservative bias—usually business conservative, which was also the case before the Murdoch acquisition—rather than right-wing Bannonista populist.  (Although arguably since Murdoch acquired it, the paper may be more receptive to extreme views than it was in the pre-Murdoch era.)

You don't even believe your own beliefs.  First you stated that news is accurately reported.  You also state that they have a strong business conservative viewpoint but not Bannonista.  Then you sum up by contradicting yourself by saying that the paper may be more receptive to extreme views.  But nothing you said at first indicates that they have published those extreme views.  So just how are they more receptive?  Don't you think you should wait until they publish extreme views before accusing them? It just shows that the left won't believe the truth even if it hits them in the head. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6529 on: September 28, 2017, 08:32:00 pm »

Sure.  People are fine with cheering for guys who attack their wives and abuse their kids, but when a bunch of players, the vast majority of whom actually aren't criminals, express discontent in a nonviolent manner, all of a sudden THAT'S a problem that will impact their fandom.  It doesn't speak well of those who were big fans UNTIL the protest became an issue.     
Who was cheering players who beat their wives?  Weren't they in fact fired?  Fans were pretty upset about that too. 

Regarding Kaepernick, when he kneeled a year ago before Trump, the team fired him, not fans.  President Obama said of that incident that his action was disrespectful to many Americans and was inappropriate to do during the anthem even if he had a right to protest.  It's only now that entire teams including managements are disrespecting the flag that the fans are throwing in the towel.   

Frankly, I think the country has lost it's way.  We don't have civics classes anymore where the anthem, pledges of allegiance, and patriotism are taught.   What the flag represents.  And it's not about race.  They should teach history classes that show how many blacks as well as white nd others who have died fighting for that flag and our country.  It belongs to all of us.  We should show some respect.  To blacks and whites and all Americans for what the flag and country represent.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6530 on: September 28, 2017, 08:43:09 pm »

Welcome to the real world Donny...stuff doesn't just happen when you snap your fingers (like it did when you were the emperor of The Trump Organization). You gotta actually do some real work (the job isn't as easy as you thought huh?)

Donald Trump discovers he alone can’t ‘fix it’ after all

I guess Trump doesn't have the math to know that if you can't get 51 votes for a law, eliminating the super majority voting rule isn't really going to help. Ya see Donny, if you can't get 51, what makes you think getting rid of the 60 vote super majority rules will make any difference? The whole reason the Senate has the super majority voting rule is to try to help increase the nonpartisan creation of laws...something we haven't seen really since the GOP got control of congress. At some point the republicans and democrats are gonna HAVE to work together if they want ANYTHING good to happen for America...if the GOP is intent on trying to ram stuff down our collective throat, I'm pretty sure we're all gonna gap when the midterms come and the GOP may get their asses handed to them (like the democrats did under Obama).

“Nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it.”
Trump alone prolly can't do much of anything–at least he hasn't yet...

The Democrats will not vote for anything.  They want this Republican congress to fail so they call it a "do nothing Congress" and Trump as a do nothing president.  Then they hope to win in 2018 and take over.  It might work.  On the other hand , it's possible it could backfire if the Republicans could blame the Democrats like the Republicans did when the Dems were in power, of obstructionists.  Their argument will be along the line of, give us more Republican Senators and then we'll get the bills passed.   It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Regarding the tax bill, I suspect that will go to failure.  There are too many conservative Republicans who will refuse to cut taxes regardless who gets the cut.  They will vote against any bill that increases the deficit and debt.  Democrats will continue to play rope-a-dope and lend no support regardless of whether it's good for the country. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6531 on: September 28, 2017, 09:27:48 pm »

And it was really hard to predict the hurricane's trajectory and force, not.

With Harvey and Irma The Dutch and French marines were already partly on the spot on the islands that are/were part of the nation's territory before the storms hit, and partly waiting a bit outside the trajectory on nearby islands and at sea with emergency aid to deploy as soon as the harbors and airfields were made accessible, and ready for airdrops of emergency supplies in case it would take too long to clear roads and restore electricity.

These activities need to be done, before the storm actually hits, or is likely to hit. Apparently little was done to protect the citizens of Puerto Rico against the aftermath of the devastation, making their situation even worse.

It's a bloody disgrace for such a powerful country doing so little for even its own citizens.

Cheers,
Bart

First of all, the US through FEMA started prepositioning even before Irma the storm that hit long before Maria even became a direct threat.

FEMA bulletin of 9/5/17: "Approximately 124 FEMA staff have been deployed to the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, with an additional 83 staff currently serving in the FEMA call center in Puerto Rico. FEMA has pre-staged meals and water in preparation for the storm, to be provided as requested by Commonwealth and territory partners.  Regional Response Coordination Centers in Atlanta, Georgia, New York, New York, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, are all activated with interagency partners to monitor Hurricane Irma, and respond as the storm track changes. FEMA regional and national Incident Management Assistance Teams are on the ground in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and en route to Florida."
https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/09/05/fema-and-federal-partners-prepare-catastrophic-category-5-hurricane-irma

Beside that, there an issue with scale.  I'm not knocking your marines.  But. my wife and I cruised to St Martin, a very rich and well developed island.  It's tiny.  It's so small, we were able to hire a cab that took us to sightsee both the Dutch and French sides in just a few hours.  The island is split approximately in two with the French owning one half and the Dutch the other half.  The island is only 34 square miles compared to Puerto Rico which is 3500 square miles, more than one hundred times the size of St. Martin and larger than the State of Delaware.  It's 1000 miles at sea from the American mainland.  Beside the main island, there are two other islands making up Puerto Rico-Vieques and Culebra.  That complicates the support.  St. Martin has about 80,000 people, French and Dutch sides total.  Puerto Rico has about 4,000,000 people about 50 times the size.  If Puerto Rico was a city, it would be the second largest city in America before NYC the largest but ahead of LA and Chicago.    When I was in St Maartin, the Dutch side, there were 5-6 100,000+ ton cruise vessels in a modern port beside mine.  The infrastructure is top notch because of tourists as it's a very rich island. 

Puerto Rico which governs itself has let its infrastructure deteriorate over the years.  They went into huge debt like Venezuela even though they pay no US taxes and for many years corporations, including many of the largest American pharmaceutical companies, who located there also didn't have to pay taxes.  This created many great jobs and wealth for the island.  Additionally, the US federal government has bailed them out before due to storms and will again.  But P.R. did nothing to improve their infrastructure situation and probably won't again.  We should help them as quickly as we can.  But they have to do better to improve their infrastructure especially electricity, telephones, marine ports and airports.  Frankly considering their debt, I don't know how they'll do it.  Maybe they'll vote to become a state so they can get bailed out.

Schewe

« Reply #6532 on: September 29, 2017, 02:01:01 am »

Betsy DeVos Says She Did Math on Trump’s Tax Plan and It Will Save Nation Eleventy Krillion

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In a ringing endorsement from the Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos said on Thursday that she did the math on Donald Trump’s tax plan and that she estimates it will save the United States roughly eleventy krillion dollars.

“I took out a pencil and paper and figured it out the old-fashioned way,” DeVos told reporters. “I wound up going through a lot of paper, because eleventy krillion has ten hundredteen zeroes.”

DeVos stressed that the eleventy-krillion figure was actually a conservative estimate. “The exact number was between eleventy and ninety-quelve, but I rounded down to eleventy,” she said.

The Education Secretary said that the national debt, which currently stands at more than twenty trillion dollars, would be greatly reduced by the eleventy-krillion-dollar windfall.

“If you subtract eleventy krillion from twenty trillion, you get a number so small it has no name,” she explained.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6533 on: September 29, 2017, 08:13:19 am »

The New York Times has done a rough analysis of the savings President Trump will realize under the new "tax reform" proposal.

President Trump could cut his tax bills by more than $1.1 billion, including saving tens of millions of dollars in a single year, under his proposed tax changes, a New York Times analysis has found.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6534 on: September 29, 2017, 09:48:22 am »

--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6535 on: September 29, 2017, 09:51:24 am »

There has been some talk of offshoring jobs in this thread. Here is an interesting article about it wrt IBM; some of the comments are the most interesting part.

https://wolfstreet.com/2017/09/28/ibm-bulks-up-in-india-guts-us-jobs-to-please-wall-street/

Instead of looking at this as off-shoring, which is a North American-centric point of view, maybe it’s better to think of it as the future. There are only 330 million people in the US and 33 million in Canada. We think we’re important, but maybe we’re not. We’re dwarfed by India and China, so maybe the real long-term reason that companies want a footprint in those countries is because that’s where all the real the action will soon be.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6536 on: September 29, 2017, 11:01:38 am »

Mueller lost his second top FBI investigator. Maybe there's not much to do.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/robert-muellers-russia-investigation-team-loses-2nd-fbi/story?id=50166109

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6537 on: September 29, 2017, 11:08:35 am »

Hehe...

Otto Phocus

« Reply #6538 on: September 29, 2017, 12:01:29 pm »

I might be going out on a limb here, but I seriously doubt Trump will be in favor of any tax plan that does not benefit him and his family
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

texshooter

« Reply #6539 on: September 29, 2017, 02:27:14 pm »

I thought kneeling was a show of respect.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:48:31 pm by texshooter »
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 331   Go Up