Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Night Scene  (Read 1693 times)

BobDavid

Another Night Scene
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:19:46 am »

The market seems saturated with these shops.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Another Night Scene
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:49:38 am »

Another fine shot.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:08:26 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

graeme

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:46:12 am »

Very cool. Are you going to produce a book of these images?

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 01:38:56 pm »

Very cool. Are you going to produce a book of these images?

I'd love to. However, I need to be careful with my funds. I am extremely motivated to keep producing. And, producing these images is becoming increasingly more taxing on my health. I am looking for an assistant--probably a college student to pay on an as needed basis to accompany me on these shoots.

As simple as these photos appear, it would be extremely helpful to have a grip. Obviously, I have security concerns. Some of these places are in edgy areas.

It feels like a narrative is beginning to take shape. I'd like to have another year to see how the pieces fall together. I have a set that I completed a few years ago. It's entitled The Homeowners Association. That series combines pictures and little stories about the homes in the association.

I took the "Clean Smoke" picture on Tuesday night. I am still recovering from the the shoot. I have a severe form of autoimmune arthritis and chronic fatigue. Not to keep blabbing about my health, but it has a lot to do with the mood of my photos and how I go about the physical act of taking photos. I am trying to produce one strong image at least every two weeks. So a lot of preplanning occurs. Virtually all of the places I photograph are familiar. They are places I've discovered while in the car--driving at night and during the daytime. I often take  quick snapshots to help visualize what a final picture will look like. 90% of my photos are taken within a ten or fifteen minute drive from home.

N80

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 03:32:33 pm »

Love this one. Also love the old Jeep Wagoneer in the background. I had one in '76.

Bob, are you using a tripod? Long exposures or high ISO or both? Just curious.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

N80

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:09:16 pm »

Thanks for the technical insight. Would love to see a picture of the A7r on the Actus. And I would agree, even in good health an assistant would be very helpful. Even from a safety standpoint. I find that when I'm shooting with a tripod my attention is very focused on the task at hand and not what's happening behind me.
George

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 11:17:41 am »

Another fine one. I have been enjoying this series.

graeme

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 05:37:32 pm »

Sorry to hear about your health issues Bob. Your condition sounds very similar to that of a friend of ours so I can appreciate the amount of effort you must have to put into these photos.

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 09:40:34 pm »

Sorry to hear about your health issues Bob. Your condition sounds very similar to that of a friend of ours so I can appreciate the amount of effort you must have to put into these photos.

Thanks for you kind words. I've got to admit that I started feeling embarrassed about bringing up health problems. I know other LuLa folks face limitations.

I now find it interesting to study these scenes many times to help figure out how and when to photograph them (lens, camera, vantage point, light modifiers, dusk versus night, etc.). I introduced myself to the owner of the clean smoke shop several weeks before taking the picture. I told him I liked the way his store looked at night and asked for permission to take pictures. I explained that I'd want to use a strobe and where I'd want to set up the camera. He loved the idea. I asked about the jeep. He said it belonged to the owner of the shop next door and that it's often parked there at night.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:56:12 pm by BobDavid »

N80

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 03:29:27 pm »

Totally off topic, but I loved and hated my 4 door Cherokee (same as Wagoneer) back in 1976. It was cool looking and sturdy but probably marked the nadir of American auto making quality. Everything broke (CV joints, alternators, water pumps) constantly. Constant electrical problems. Literally everything in the interior fell apart within a year. Door handles broke, dash cracked, radio quit working, windows fell off their tracks, rear window wouldn't lower, headliner fell out, seat belts failed, windshield leaked. ALL of this in less than 50k miles. Nursed it to 76k and sold it. Declared I'd never buy another American vehicle.

There is a company called Wagon Masters that completely restores old Wagoneers to like-new status. They go for about $80k
George

James Clark

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 04:58:32 pm »

There is a company called Wagon Masters that completely restores old Wagoneers to like-new status. They go for about $80k

Resto-Mods are huge business now.  Icon (old Ford Broncos), Singer (old air cooled 911s) and Eagle (Jag E-types) are probably tops.  Wish I had the coin for one of those :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up