Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: feature comparison X1D, GFX, A7RII, SL, XT2  (Read 6198 times)

chrismuc

feature comparison X1D, GFX, A7RII, SL, XT2
« on: January 24, 2017, 08:54:55 pm »

When compiling the features of the two new 44x33mm cameras Fuji GFX and Hasselblad X1D from manufacturers data and tests, reviews and forum informations, I ended up adding also the two 36x24mm cams Leica SL and Sony A7RII and the APS cam Fuji XT2 for comparison.

I gave a - kind of subjective - colour rating for each feature green/ yellow/ orange.

Regarding user interface, my personal preference is the Fuji set-up with most functions selectable by mechanical elements on the camera and least need to dig into the menu, so the colour scheme is accordingly. Also with most cameras, different approaches for functions are offered (like AF selection by joystick or touch screen; function selection via menu, by quick menu or by customised button ...), so here only one option is mentioned.

Some data/ rating is preliminary, esp. for the Hasselblad because there is least information and tests available yet, so the list shall be updated.

I show the EVF and TFT resolution in pixel triplets like a monitor description, I think that is more useful than the total amount of single colour pixels.

I own and use the XT1 and A7RII, so for example the very long start-up time of the Sony is my own experience.

Please feel free to comment and to correct if entries are wrong.

Chris

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:04:26 pm by chrismuc »

fotagf8

Re: feature comparison X1D, GFX, A7RII, SL, XT2
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:17:41 pm »

Thanks.  Very helpful.  For me scales tip in favor of  gfx as opposed to the X1d.  More flexibility, although the X1d is a more elegant design.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:35:51 pm »

When compiling the features of the two new 44x33mm cameras Fuji GFX and Hasselblad X1D from manufacturers data and tests, reviews and forum informations, I ended up adding also the two 36x24mm cams Leica SL and Sony A7RII and the APS cam Fuji XT2 for comparison.

This is great, Chris. I put my name on the list for the GFX, and this makes me feel even better about it.

Jim

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 04:29:13 am »

Startup times are now in the realm of DSLRs, which is very nice! The grip seems like a must have for very long shooting sessions, like all mirrorless cameras. Not a problem on the usability front, but it means you have to spend more money on gear to get comparable battery performance without stopping frequently to change batteries.
Instagram (updated often)

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 05:00:25 am »

Is it really impossible to adapt 3d party lenses to the X1D? Not yet, or actually impossible for some reason? Possible to adapt Hasselblad lenses but no others seem strange to me.

chrismuc

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:23:50 am »

The X1D has no shutter and currently no option to sync the central shutter in a lens (for example Hasselblad V) apart their own H lenses.

If Hasselblad - like Fuji - would succeed to enable a full electronic shutter, at least this would be possible.
But the Fuji with it's focal plane shutter and sev. options using the electronic front curtain of full electronic shutter is of course much more flexible in this respect.

Btw., today I received an email from Steel Chen ('Fringer'): He started to work on the Fuji GFX mount protocol (he already did reverse engineering of the Fuji X protocol), which is the basis to create a Canon EF - Fuji GFX mount adapter (priority 1: auto aperture, priority 2: auto focus).
Such adapter would not only allow to use the Canon TSE 17, 24, 45 and 90 lenses but also other lenses with Canon EF mount that cover the 44x33mm image circle like for example Sigma 35f1.4 Art, 50f1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 85f1.4, Zeiss ZE 135f2 Apo.
Sounds promising to me :-)

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 05:39:42 am »

Thank you for that clarification, forgot about the shutter there. Yes the leaf shutter makes it difficult. But should be possible with some reverse enginering to use other leaf shutter lenses or some adapter with built in focal plane shutter could be conceived.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 06:09:08 am »

I would have added the Nikon D810 and the appropriate larger-sensor Canon cameras to this comparison.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:23:37 am »

I would have added the Nikon D810 and the appropriate larger-sensor Canon cameras to this comparison.

Since the reduced flange distance gives the luxury of space for adding an adapter for other lenses, could you actually have an adapter with it's own leaf shutter build into it so you could use non leaf shutter lenses? It would probably/maybe be cost prohibitive, but maybe technically possible?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:09 am »

Hi,

A leaf shutter would vignette as it has different exposure time between edge and centre and would be extremely large.

Best regards
Erik

Since the reduced flange distance gives the luxury of space for adding an adapter for other lenses, could you actually have an adapter with it's own leaf shutter build into it so you could use non leaf shutter lenses? It would probably/maybe be cost prohibitive, but maybe technically possible?
Erik Kaffehr

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 10:45:29 am »

A leaf shutter would vignette as it has different exposure time between edge and centre and would be extremely large.

I once owned a camera with interchangeable shutterless lenses and an in-body behind-the-lens leaf shutter: the Argus C3. In addition to the things Erik mentioned, it was quite limited in its fastest speed. I presume that was because of its size.

By the way, the C3 would have been a terrible camera even with a FP shutter.

Jim

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 11:22:32 am »

As much as the Hasselblad is a beauty in design form, what caught my eye immediately, was the lack of a tilting LCD.  Something I prefer to have for both composition issues (works as a waist level finder) and age, as bending down to get up close is much easier with a tilting LCD.  Hasselblad stated weather sealing, but it's a first for them and time will tell if they got it right.  It's thiner by a lot but odds are it will get hotter faster, just like the Sony's due especially with video.   The lack of the focal shutter was also an issue as I am not currently a user of Hasselblad and thus it meant no lens adapters would ever work, in a realistic manner. 

Then after time I read the specs on the LCD and EVF resolution and decided to see what Fuji would do here as I love their EVF's and LCD's in this regard.  I was glad I waited. 

When Fuji announced EFC and ES, I was even more both surprised and happy as the ES on MF becomes much more important, at least from what I have found.  And Fuji knows a bit about ES implementation.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

hubell

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 12:05:18 pm »

As much as the Hasselblad is a beauty in design form, what caught my eye immediately, was the lack of a tilting LCD.  Something I prefer to have for both composition issues (works as a waist level finder) and age, as bending down to get up close is much easier with a tilting LCD.  Hasselblad stated weather sealing, but it's a first for them and time will tell if they got it right.  It's thiner by a lot but odds are it will get hotter faster, just like the Sony's due especially with video.   The lack of the focal shutter was also an issue as I am not currently a user of Hasselblad and thus it meant no lens adapters would ever work, in a realistic manner. 

Then after time I read the specs on the LCD and EVF resolution and decided to see what Fuji would do here as I love their EVF's and LCD's in this regard.  I was glad I waited. 

When Fuji announced EFC and ES, I was even more both surprised and happy as the ES on MF becomes much more important, at least from what I have found.  And Fuji knows a bit about ES implementation.

Paul Caldwell

It's all about priorities, isn't it? For me, and I suspect many others, the most critical features are the form factor and the user interface. A smaller and lighter camera body and lenses, and what I will call a Eurocentric user interface, are of paramount importance. ES and EFCS? Important if the camera is otherwise susceptible to shutter shock. A tilting LCD? A swiveling EVF? A somewhat higher resolution EVF and LCD? Nice to have, but I would gladly sacrifice them for a camera that is easier to take with me and that has a user interface that is elegantly clean and uncluttered. Each of us that is interested in the X1D or the GFX (or both) will come at this analysis somewhat differently. Ideally, each of us will take the time to actually photograph with the two options.  Looking at the X1D in a photo on the internet simply does not prepare you for the experience of physically holding one in your hands and photographing with it. I am yet to speak with anyone who wasn't blown away by just how small and light and beautifully designed it is in the flesh. I have yet to handle a GFX. Fuji has chosen not to distribute demo cameras before actual shipments start.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 12:43:09 pm »

No doubt it's a beautiful body. But considering you only have have EVF and LCD and may want to check at 100% focus I will take the greater resolution over beauty and light weight.

It's all the same sensor so it really comes down to profiling, software, and reliability and cost.

Both products are amazing and I am sure both will do very well.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Telecaster

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 03:19:29 pm »

I'm interested in the GFX but I wanna get my hands on one before buying. I also plan to wait some months after release and see what issues, if any, show up with real world use. I'll be in NYC in late March/early April and will aim for some hands-on time at B&H or Adorama while there. Purchase won't happen 'til mid summer at the earliest.

-Dave-

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 04:15:10 pm »

I'd like both, they cater to very different needs anyway.

The GFX seems more of a workhorse, the X1D more of a leisure camera.
Instagram (updated often)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 04:57:14 pm »

We are surprised by the size of the X1D and GFX because we call them medium format... which they aren't.

Considering the small difference of sensor size compared to FX, and looking at an a7rII, their size is in fact not surprising at all.

Cheers,
Bernard

voidshatter

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 05:08:23 pm »

Excellent work! Imo the A7R-II is the winner here, though I'd stick with Nikon for now, and wait until Sony's mirrorless becomes more usable.

hubell

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 10:46:56 pm »

We are surprised by the size of the X1D and GFX because we call them medium format... which they aren't.

Considering the small difference of sensor size compared to FX, and looking at an a7rII, their size is in fact not surprising at all.

Cheers,
Bernard

The exact same sensor appears in the Phase XF/IQ250 and the HB H6D-50c, which are the exact same size as the 100mp versions. That's what's surprising.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 02:25:00 am »

Hi,

Fuji says 'G' format and some folks say small medium format.

Best regards
Erik

Cheers,
Bernard
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up