Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 5D Was Gonna Keep the 20D--not  (Read 4766 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
New 5D Was Gonna Keep the 20D--not
« on: July 09, 2006, 09:39:32 pm »

I was thinking that since I do portrait photography and other people type photography where I get people together, that having an extra camera is necessary. I figured I'd keep my 20D as a back up. After shooting with the 5D, I never want to shoot with the 20D again--LOL. Man, is that  a step up. Viewfinder is HUGE, etc.

So what do you think? Should I cash in the 20D for 800.00--or probably less--on EBay, or keep it as a back up for people type photography?

I mean if the 5D goes bad, I'm not switching to the 20D for landscape, unless I'm away or something like that and I have to. I'll just get it repaired and wait.

On the other hand, I haven't seen any 20D go for much more than 800 on eBay lately.

Any suggestions?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 10:01:05 pm »

I feel your pain. I have a 5D coming any day now, and I have thought about either keeping my 10D as a backup or trying to sell it. I agree that after one look through the 5D finder I never want to look through the 10D finder again.

Hmm. Maybe I can trade it for an Epson ink cartridge or two for my 2200.    

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

picnic

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 11:39:03 pm »

I feel your pain. I have a 5D coming any day now, and I have thought about either keeping my 10D as a backup or trying to sell it. I agree that after one look through the 5D finder I never want to look through the 10D finder again.

Hmm. Maybe I can trade it for an Epson ink cartridge or two for my 2200.   

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I sold my 20D--along with my D30 and D60 when I bought the 5D this Winter (what WAS I thinking of hanging onto the 2 older bodies).  I really felt I would never use the crop bodies again.  However, I do shoot parttime commercial and if there's ever a time when you must have 2 bodies, its then.  I kept the 10D because it performed up to snuff in its time and would be just fine for usage---good quality 8 x 10's (the largest my commercial stuff is printed).  Otherwise---I quite truthfully wouldn't have kept a backup--do as you and just have the 5D repaired.  I can't afford 2 5Ds--nor do I need them, so keeping the body worth less--but still more than adequate--was my solution.  

If you don't 'need' a backup--sell the thing.  However---there are those that like to keep a tele on the crop body along with the 5D--so consider that before selling if this would ever appeal to you.  

Diane

dwdallam

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 05:11:13 am »

I sold my 20D--along with my D30 and D60 when I bought the 5D this Winter (what WAS I thinking of hanging onto the 2 older bodies).  I really felt I would never use the crop bodies again.  However, I do shoot parttime commercial and if there's ever a time when you must have 2 bodies, its then.  I kept the 10D because it performed up to snuff in its time and would be just fine for usage---good quality 8 x 10's (the largest my commercial stuff is printed).  Otherwise---I quite truthfully wouldn't have kept a backup--do as you and just have the 5D repaired.  I can't afford 2 5Ds--nor do I need them, so keeping the body worth less--but still more than adequate--was my solution. 

If you don't 'need' a backup--sell the thing.  However---there are those that like to keep a tele on the crop body along with the 5D--so consider that before selling if this would ever appeal to you. 

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70216\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You know the other reason I wanted to keep the 20D was the crop factor too. With my 70-200, I have 320mm, and with a 1.4 extender, an f4, 448mm L lens. But here's the rub. If I buy a 1.4 extender, it will cost 300.00 US. And if I don't sell my 20D, I'll miss out on 800.00 or so US. The grand total for that is 1100 dollars, and I'm 200.00 shy of a 100-400mm L Lens. Sure, I could put that on teh 20D and get more zoom, but the lens would become unusable from an fstop persepctive, being good only in bright daylight. So I could have a 100-400mm L lens if I just sell my 20D and don't buy the extender.

The only thing that bothers me really now is that when portraits and other people type photography, I really need a back up camera. The 20D is a good camera for 8x12s and smaller. Even at 12x18 its nice. So it could work for a back up. I just know that it will never get used again.

I'll just sell it.

Thanks for the comments.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 07:14:18 am »

I would look at it like what would happen if you were working for a new client with your 5D and had a stuff up and no spare body..
The new client thinks you're not up to the job and never calls again.

How much might that cost you ?

I dropped one of my bodies at a job the other night, the flash snapped off at the mount and the shoe came loose, luckily the camera and lens were ok but my spare flash would not fire off it.
Without a second body and flash I would have been in trouble..

picnic

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 07:58:23 am »

The only thing that bothers me really now is that when portraits and other people type photography, I really need a back up camera. The 20D is a good camera for 8x12s and smaller. Even at 12x18 its nice. So it could work for a back up. I just know that it will never get used again.

I'll just sell it.

Thanks for the comments.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70225\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have never needed to use any of my backup gear---but I'm redundant in everything.  Most of the work I do is very time constrained so its not even possible to go out and buy a replacement.  Peace of mind for you and your clients is worth something IMO.  You might even consider selling the 20D and buying a body that's older and much cheaper IF higher ISOs/noise and resolution isn't a factor (a 6MP body as the 10D or D60).  For portraiture, obviously many of the other things in the 20D aren't necessary, so that may get you the extra $200.  OTOH, you own the 20D which is 8MP, is a body I really enjoyed and know is capable of most everything the 30D and 5D are----and-you-own-it (and, we assume, know it is a good one without problems).

I found myself keeping all my bodies thinking I might 'need' them--but never did, so made the decision as to what was the least I needed as a backup and that would still give me the quality I needed and the 'extras'.  For me--the 10D fit the bill--and I owned all the others in the series, so the decision was able to be made rationally.  I'd think about this seriously---and perhaps save a bit more towards the extra $200 you need.  It will cost you more in the end to buy another backup---and if you are working with clients, you do need one.

dwdallam

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 03:23:02 am »

I have never needed to use any of my backup gear---but I'm redundant in everything.  Most of the work I do is very time constrained so its not even possible to go out and buy a replacement.  Peace of mind for you and your clients is worth something IMO.  You might even consider selling the 20D and buying a body that's older and much cheaper IF higher ISOs/noise and resolution isn't a factor (a 6MP body as the 10D or D60).  For portraiture, obviously many of the other things in the 20D aren't necessary, so that may get you the extra $200.  OTOH, you own the 20D which is 8MP, is a body I really enjoyed and know is capable of most everything the 30D and 5D are----and-you-own-it (and, we assume, know it is a good one without problems).

I found myself keeping all my bodies thinking I might 'need' them--but never did, so made the decision as to what was the least I needed as a backup and that would still give me the quality I needed and the 'extras'.  For me--the 10D fit the bill--and I owned all the others in the series, so the decision was able to be made rationally.  I'd think about this seriously---and perhaps save a bit more towards the extra $200 you need.  It will cost you more in the end to buy another backup---and if you are working with clients, you do need one.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70237\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I have been thinking about that. Now I think I will keep the 20D.

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 05:43:22 am »

I have a 5D and 20D. Although I much prefer the 5D, the 20D is petite and great for when I need to travel light. It's sort of my point 'n shoot go biking 'n hiking pocket cam.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 05:44:59 am by gochugogi »
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

KenRexach

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 11:32:23 am »

I have a 5D, 1D mk2 and up until recently a 10D. Man, even after using the 1D mk2 with its larger sensor I didnt want to go back to the 1.6X sensor. For several reasons. The difference in DOF is significant since with the smaller sensor I had to use shorter Focal lengths given equal subject, composition and distance from subject. If I wanted to use a longer focal length given everything else equal I had to move back. That basically changes perspective and dof. Distance from subject is key.

Even if the 5D Image quality was identical to the one in the 10D (which it isnt obviously) Id still pick the 5D over it. The 50mm f1.4 works beautifully on the 5D even in small spaces for portraits, basically its what it used to be!
Pages: [1]   Go Up