Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polypropylene plastic containers for photo storage  (Read 3988 times)

marving

Polypropylene plastic containers for photo storage
« on: January 28, 2017, 05:20:54 pm »

Are is polypropylene plastic containers safe for storage of photographs. I'm working on a project making 5 x 7 prints of my children and grandchildren and am looking for a way to store the prints.

howardm

Re: Polypropylene plastic containers for photo storage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:41:24 pm »

I might suggest looking for small archival storage boxes (B&H and other good places sell stuff by 'Archival Methods' and other mfgrs)

marving

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 06:55:50 pm »

Thanks howardm. My first stop online was B&H and also Archival Methods. The problem is the 5x7 size. There are many archival boxes available starting at 8.5 X 11.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:24:03 pm »

Are is polypropylene plastic containers safe for storage of photographs. I'm working on a project making 5 x 7 prints of my children and grandchildren and am looking for a way to store the prints.
Polypropylene by itself is very stable, hence being one of most used materials for archival storage.  For off the shelf containers, though, you have to make sure there are no additives used in manufacturing process.  My best guess is a very good quality food grade PP boxes like Tupperware, particularly designed for liquids are devoid of any external additives and should function as well as those bought from Archival Methods or B&H.  Washing thoroughly with soap and water to remove any surface oils (so they don't outgas later) that may be used in the molding process before using might be advisable. 

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 12:58:34 pm »

I would make sure the prints have had adequate time to outgas before enclosing them in airtight polypropylene containers or envelopes.  Wonder if there is any reaction between glycols and polypropylene.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 09:13:26 pm »

Wonder if there is any reaction between glycols and polypropylene.
Should be inert against glycols, actually majority of solvents and most acids/bases - at normal storage temperatures.  Most of the chemical bottles, if not glass, are made of PP. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up