Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixing or replacing an epson 4900 with something new?  (Read 500 times)

alaind

Fixing or replacing an epson 4900 with something new?
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:45:06 pm »

I have an Epson 4900 that is now 6 years old. I do not print very often, and live it off for extended periods of times when I am traveling. Up to last year, I had no major problems and was very happy with it. I print on 17x22"" Hahnemuhle photo rag or photo rag baryta. Color and black and white. I have printed files from a Leica S and Leica M monochrome with great success.

In the last few months, my printer started to misbehave: clogged head, bad tracking of paper while printing, etc...
I can get it fixed, but I'm afraid I will run again into the same problems soon...
I was looking at other printers, like the Epson P800 and Canon Pro-1000. I have read many posts complaining about "pizza wheels marks" with the P800 while using Hahnemuhle baryta papers... A non-starter for me as this is my favorite paper! I was then looking at the Canon. A friend of mine has the Pro-1. I tried to print one of my black and white pictures on his printer using my photo rag baryta paper. I loaded the Hahnemuhle profiles, printed the picture and the result was underwhelming... the print was flat, cold, and the tonal range was not what I'm used to on the Epson 4900. Is the new Pro-1000 better at black and white?
I'm now tempted to get my Epson 4900 printer fixed... Any advice?

Alain
Pages: [1]   Go Up