Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Benq Displays  (Read 8201 times)

deanwork

Benq Displays
« on: December 27, 2016, 08:47:47 am »

Wondering if anyone knows anything about or is using the 27" BenQ sw2700PT display that is going for $600.00 and is supposed to have a 90% 1998 RGB color gamut capability?

I noticed that Aztek, the drum scanner company is selling the 32" LG display claiming the same color gamut and 4K resolution for $1,500.00. I went on the LGs own website and there is a long line of extremely unsatisfied customers screaming about how horrible that display is. I think there was one tepid  positive review there.

I don't keep up with all this hardware stuff, but just wondering if there is any reason at all to look beyond NEC and Eizo for a color critical display for printing. I have the 27" Nec and it has been greatly great for 5 years. I would just like to have one or two more for another computers to replace old Apples.

Pictus

• Retouching
Re: Benq Displays
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:37:31 am »

Only Eizo CG/CX/CS and NEC PA will grantee an uniform screen, for all other models it is a lottery.
But some BenQ models are less lottery than DEll/LG/Asus/Acer/etc...

BenQ SW2700PT reviews:
https://luminous-landscape.com/benq-sw2700pt-27-inch-adobe-rgb-monitor-review/
https://www.colbybrownphotography.com/gear-review-a-photographers-take-on-the-benq-sw2700pt-27-qhd-monitor/
http://www.color-management-guide.com/benq-sw2700pt-monitor-review.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:55:34 am by Pictus »

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:45:24 am »

The BenQ SW2700PT has been discussed here a bit, favourably. I'm a long-time NEC PA monitor user, running a pair of PA302W's currently as my main displays. But on the strength of what I was seeing about the BenQ I recently picked up a SW2700PT to evaluate on a secondary machine. I've been pleased with the display quality so far.

The BenQ's panel uniformity is good, the display is crisp and clear, while the included monitor hood is a nice touch. The proprietary BenQ Palette Master software used to calibrate via the monitor's onboard LUT's is a somewhat flakey piece of work, and the build quality of the monitor doesn't have the same solid feel as my NEC's. But all in all the calibrated & profiled results are pretty close to what I'm used to from my NEC's.

Based on the positive experience I'm having with the SW2700PT, I'm planning to get ahold of the new BenQ SW320 4K display when it ships in the near future, and evaluate it as well.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 10:44:02 am »

Royce,

What is the warranty period on the BenQ? I believe my Nec was 3 years. Mine is 5 years old and calibrates like new.

I've never heard a figure on how long these LCD displays like the Nec should last based on using them a few hours a day,every day.

john

howardm

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:26:15 am »

in the past, with CCFL, lifetime was usually dictated by CCFL aging and low luminosity, maybe 8-10K hours.

With the xx2 series (242/272 etc) that have LED backlights, I would think it would be 2-4x better (if not more).

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:38:12 am »

John, the BenQ SW2700PT warranty is 3 years. That's 1 year shy of the 4 year warranty on my NEC PA302W's. Realistically I don't expect it to be much of an issue with an LED display. Most of them either should have trouble quickly if they're going to have major trouble at all, or else last long enough that I'd be itching to upgrade them before they die. :)

With the old CCFL-based NEC displays, my rule of thumb was to run them for at least 10,000 - 12,000 hours of operating time before I started paying much attention to how they were holding up. One old NEC 2690 lasted over 13,000 hours without issue before I got tired of waiting for it to die and upgraded it to a PA302W. One old 3090 lastest over 14,000 hours before the screen started to delaminate; it got upgraded with another PA302W. I expect the various new high-spec LED based displays should be stable for longer than that... as long as the rest of the device electronics hold up, I think it's reasonable to hope for double the life span.

The BenQ models (and some of the other similar displays from LG, Asus and whomever) are so much cheaper that they must be incurring cost savings by cutting something somewhere. Whether that's lesser QC standards that will lead to more sample variation, or loss of longevity, is hard to say. It offends me to buy serious tools that aren't made to last. But having said that, if a BenQ model costs say half the price of a NEC for roughly comparable display quality, you could replace them twice as often and break even purely on $.

I'll probably always run some NEC displays because I really trust them and I'm not in any rush to dump a super dependable tool. But I run several colour critical displays and might be able to depend on these new BenQ's enough to add them into the mix. When I bought my latest pair of PA302W's I really would have preferred to go with 4K at that point... but the cost of the NEC's was a bit prohibitive for my budget, so I held off. So I'm eager to check out the BenQ SW320 and see if it will fill that slot.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:00:53 pm by Royce Howland »

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 06:58:45 pm »

Thanks Royce,

I think the NEC overall quality control standards have to be a lot higher. They must use components that are made by more reliable suppliers if they don't make everything themselves. I'll bet you have a much less chance of poor consistency across the screen with them.

What you said about the failure most likely occurring within the first few months, or the first year might very well be right. If they had a 3 year warranty I would have no problem at all adding one. As you, my primary display will be an NEC for sure. I'm not into 4K for print work, at least not now.

john

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 10:13:42 am »

This review shows how is the BenQ SW2700PT panel homogeneity
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2016/test-benq-sw2700pt-teil4.html

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 02:20:21 pm »

don't speak German

Really I think the issue, IF there was ever an issue, would be a lack of quality control in the production line to cut costs as Royce pointed out. There was even some of that control lacking in the Nec and Eizo lines in the past and you had some furious customers who got more than one bad unit in a row. You may have one unit performing perfectly and another showing a disparity of illumination from edge to edge. Some of that has to happen in all the brands, but brands with more of it going on can be a frustration. So far the BenQ is doing well from all the reports I've read. I am very tempted to buy the 30" at half the price of the NEC and with their warranty feel protected. I would be the only one using the unit and I treat my equipment very well.

This review shows how is the BenQ SW2700PT panel homogeneity
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2016/test-benq-sw2700pt-teil4.html

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 10:27:29 pm »

don't speak German

Neither I, but https://translate.google.com or the better Google Chrome automatic translation is our friend.

nma

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 02:27:43 am »

Wondering if anyone knows anything about or is using the 27" BenQ sw2700PT display that is going for $600.00 and is supposed to have a 90% 1998 RGB color gamut capability?

I noticed that Aztek, the drum scanner company is selling the 32" LG display claiming the same color gamut and 4K resolution for $1,500.00. I went on the LGs own website and there is a long line of extremely unsatisfied customers screaming about how horrible that display is. I think there was one tepid  positive review there.

I don't keep up with all this hardware stuff, but just wondering if there is any reason at all to look beyond NEC and Eizo for a color critical display for printing. I have the 27" Nec and it has been greatly great for 5 years. I would just like to have one or two more for another computers to replace old Apples.

I am using the   27" BenQ sw2700PT the 27" BenQ sw2700PT for about 10 months, without difficulty. I was able to calibrate it with the Pallete Master software without any difficulty. In terms of rendering text, it is very clear, much, much better thn my old Dell ultrasharp ever was. Images are also very good. My prints are a good match to the screen, within the expected range of possibilities for transmitted versus reflected images.That is my opinion.

I have no experience with NEC or other pro monitors., so I can't compare.

In terms of longevity, time will tell. So far, so good.

Regarding the other posts in this thread it seems to me that they are all just speculation. No one knows about what corners are cut or problems with QC.  It is true the price is much lower. Some features ar not offered, the buid quality is different. But the functionality seems to be there.

Some of us remember the introduction of Japanese cameras. Everyone knew the German ones were much better, with unmatched workmanship. Caveat emptor.

deanwork

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 11:27:15 am »

I think that is a very good point. At some juncture the innovations of color calibration and hardware development trickles down to companies that can compete successfully at a lower price point and still maintain durability and reliability. From past experience, whether it is computers, printers, displays, cameras, or what have you generally when someone comes out with a product touted to exhibit the same standards and production reliability as products that cost twice as much by companies who have been in the business for decades, we are skeptical, like what's the catch.

But every so often someone does create a better car, a better camera, or a better pro display that is half the price and just works. We are all hoping this is the case. This thread has made me want to take a chance on the new BenQ 30" that is about to be released. Even if I have to send back a unit or two, it sounds like a big bang for the buck, not just the size but the 4K capability.

As to LG, after reading the reviews and our experience with their large screen tvs, no way, at least not until they get their QC straightened out. The BenQ user experience  seems to be quite good so far and I'm thrilled. This will also have the effect of bringing down the prices of the 4K displays by Eizo and NEC which are way out of the budget range for a huge number of us.

John

Now the LG 32" full gamut

I am using the   27" BenQ sw2700PT the 27" BenQ sw2700PT for about 10 months, without difficulty. I was able to calibrate it with the Pallete Master software without any difficulty. In terms of rendering text, it is very clear, much, much better thn my old Dell ultrasharp ever was. Images are also very good. My prints are a good match to the screen, within the expected range of possibilities for transmitted versus reflected images.That is my opinion.

I have no experience with NEC or other pro monitors., so I can't compare.

In terms of longevity, time will tell. So far, so good.

Regarding the other posts in this thread it seems to me that they are all just speculation. No one knows about what corners are cut or problems with QC.  It is true the price is much lower. Some features ar not offered, the buid quality is different. But the functionality seems to be there.

Some of us remember the introduction of Japanese cameras. Everyone knew the German ones were much better, with unmatched workmanship. Caveat emptor.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 02:42:58 am »

Hi guys,

A quick question for those that do own the this display as I've just picked on up.

I did a calibration this morning and it came back with the attached results rather high ΔE on the red and blue...has anyone else seen this?
I'm calibrating with the I1display pro.

Cheers

A
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 11:00:36 am »

That seems like quite a limited number of patches, with the neutrals pretty good and the mistakes in colored ones.  Have you tried free displayCalwith Argyll?  It will take longer but do a better job.

Jack

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 06:11:54 pm »

Hi Jack,

That's the validation report it does on just the medium patch.  The calibration was done on the larger patch. 
It's pretty weird.  It wasn't doing this the first time I calibrated it, and I've never seen anything like this from my NEC's.

I don't think I can use displayCal to write tot he hardware LUTs with this monitor.  My understanding is we have to use the proprietary software.

A

That seems like quite a limited number of patches, with the neutrals pretty good and the mistakes in colored ones.  Have you tried free displayCalwith Argyll?  It will take longer but do a better job.

Jack

FabienP

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 06:17:26 pm »

Jack

Jack, the limited number of patches is only for profile verification, which is sadly limited to 16 measurements in the provided software. It should however not affect calibration. Also, if you use Argyll, you will not be able to use the internal 14bit LUT of the monitor, which IMO defeats the purpose of such a monitor.

Andrew, I came across a similar problem the first time I tried to calibrate my BenQ SW2700PT. Two things you might want to verify at this stage:
  • Do you have any other calibration tool installed on the computer that might interfere with Palette Master Elements, either by loading a LUT in the graphic card or by having other drivers loaded for the colorimeter? If so, you should temporarily uninstall these.
  • Can you verify in the OSD menu of the monitor that the LUT was loaded into the monitor and that either Calibration 1 or Calibration 2 mode is currently in use? Any other value would indicate an improper colour mode being in use.

In my case, Argyll / DisplayCAL was somehow interfering with the calibration due to a previous calibration of my former monitor which kept being loaded to the graphic card. Uninstalling DisplayCAL and its profile loader solved the problem. I might have to reinstall DisplayCAL in the future to calibrate a secondary display with no internal LUT and hope I will not be in trouble again.

Cheers,

Fabien

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 07:41:14 pm »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks very much for that.

I had forgotten I had the I1display calibration software installed.

I uninstalled....unfortunately same results (attached)

I have the monitor connected via HDMI...do you think this could be a potential problem?

Cheers

Andrew

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 08:36:18 am »

I see that calibration says 'matrix'.  Is there a 'matrix+LUT'?

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 06:22:58 pm »

Hi Jack,

Here's the attached options for the calibration type.
All the other reviews I read suggested using the Matrix.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Andrew
I see that calibration says 'matrix'.  Is there a 'matrix+LUT'?

brianrybolt

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 03:14:50 am »

I use the i1pro with the Palette Master software and use the'matrix' setting with no problems. 
Brian
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up