Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't soft proof colors?  (Read 929 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Can't soft proof colors?
« on: December 20, 2016, 11:49:55 am »

I'm trying to make a print of these spinner dolphins.  When I soft proof the gray dolphins look dull and splotched with green.  Unfortunately it prints this way as well.  I can't seem to make any sort of corrections?  I've checked my color profile for the San Gabrial Baryta I'm using.  I've checked relative and perceptual....?

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Can't soft proof colors?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 12:01:11 pm »

Well...
If the the profile was properly created and the softproof looks similar to the print but both are quite different from the original image, most likely your image have colors that are out of gamut for that printer/paper combination.
If that is the case, nothing you do will make it print those colors. You may try another printer/paper combination (if available) with larger gamut or adjust the image until you get an acceptable appearance, but knowing that you will never reach the original colors with this printer/paper combination.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:22:13 am by Geraldo Garcia »

HSakols

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 12:18:07 pm »

Thank you Geraldo.  That is what I was beginning to conclude.  I think I will try black and white.  I'm curious if this is a common problem for underwater photographers using available light? 

Pete Berry

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 01:45:56 pm »

Thank you Geraldo.  That is what I was beginning to conclude.  I think I will try black and white.  I'm curious if this is a common problem for underwater photographers using available light?

Hugh, your image clearly shows the effect of shooting though the dense filter of the sky-reflected blue-green sea! No way a gray dolphin can look like it does above water. You could used extreme white balance and tint offsets on the selected dolphins as I did globally in ACR for the modded version below. I saw only a small patch of OOG color on the center dolphin's back.

Pete

HSakols

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:52:09 pm »

Thank you Pete.  I went ahead and played with it in black and white which worked out quite nice.  However, I may go back to another and play with it again.  I appreciate your input. 

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 02:46:10 pm »

This just seems like a simple photoshop fix to me... unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to achieve

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up