Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Street or not?  (Read 6504 times)

Randy Carone

Street or not?
« on: December 06, 2016, 03:49:36 pm »

Captured in Central Park on July 7th. Comments?
Randy Carone

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Street or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:08:21 pm »

Works for me.
Title maybe "The attentive attendant"?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:27:59 pm »

Me too, and I like Eric's suggested title.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:36:21 pm »

Works for me.
Title maybe "The attentive attendant"?

Nothing wrong with her. Those are the real heros in our aging society where family bonds have become literally meaningless. So if we outsource the care for our elderly we have to accept that the job will be done with a certain amount of casualness. I strongly believe that professional attendants must maintain a mental barrier to their patients in order to keep well.
Glad to be an amateur

Randy Carone

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:51:34 pm »

I agree Harald, I had no negative feelings about the image. He's outside in the open air with lots of passing people out for a walk in the park. She's the reason, his means of transport and his caretaker. And he gets a little nap.
Randy Carone

N80

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 08:17:11 pm »

Nothing wrong with her. Those are the real heros in our aging society

Amen.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 11:40:11 pm »

I have the greatest respect for such attendants.
My mother, at age 105, can do very little for herself. At her Assisted Living place she has a wonderful assortment of helpers who work tirelessly and cheerfully to tend to all of her needs. As a result, she is still happy and cheerful and grateful.

I'm sure I would never have the patience and perseverance to do what these attendants do. Bless them all!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 01:53:59 am »

That is a strong image.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 04:25:12 am »

I think it's a very strong image, and at the same time, one I wouldn't have made. Therein one of the spiritual conflicts of photography. You can put it in to the same catergory as Don McCullin's shots of the albino boy in Africa, starving to death holding a tin... McCullin wasn't happy at all but still felt compelled.

One of my personal safety devices is a resolute avoidance of situations where I will feel obligations that I have no wish to feel. Without that, I think I'd have been a wreck or dead a long time ago. Those situations can often appear very attractive at first glance. Poisoned fruit, then.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 05:57:08 am »

What Rob said. As just about everybody who'll read this knows, street is my favorite thing. But there are situations I simply pass by. This would be one of them. Sometimes it's necessary to intrude in order to tell a story that ought to be told. This isn't one of those times.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Randy Carone

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 06:47:01 am »

Thanks to Rob C and RSL. I too had mixed feelings about this shot, which is why it took so long for me to post it. I really appreciate the honesty of your comments. Shooting 'street' is something I try to do when the situation presents itself. This one was difficult but it told a story, but one that maybe should have been left untold. Thanks again.
Randy Carone

N80

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 09:03:42 am »

I think this is a great image. Rob and Russ indicate that they would not have taken the shot. That's fine. Each one of us has to have our own sort of ethic when it comes to this sort of thing. However, I don't think the OP is under any compulsion to share individually derived 'ethics' that do not transcend the bounds of widely accepted broader ethics. I don't think that Rob and Russ are saying that directly but you cannot disassociate "I would not have done that" from "You should not have done that".

I would be interested in knowing exactly what about it makes it out of bounds for them? He is old. He cannot walk well, or at all. He may be asleep. He might be looking at the sky. A black woman is sitting beside him. She is looking at a cell phone. She is probably his caretaker. They appear to be in a park or other public outdoor space. I see nothing else that would make such an image out of bounds. I think anything else that is read into the image comes from the viewer. We do not know his or her level of happiness or pain. We do not know anything about either of their mental capacity. We do not know anything about either of their personalities. Any speculation about those things come from outside the image.....right Russ? ;)
George

BobDavid

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 09:25:54 am »

I understand Russ and Rob's point of view. Having watched my father deteriorate and left to the care of others, was horrifying. We were not equipped nor trained to tend to his most basic needs. He required 24-hour supervision.

The home where he spent his last five years was the nicest one in his hometown. The daytime staff was better trained and higher paid than the weekend and nighttime employees. My sister and I live on opposite coasts. We wanted him to live close to us. He would not leave his hometown and familiar surroundings. Parkinson's disease robbed a dignified man of his dignity.

Once he slipped into dementia, the home became less attentive to his needs. If it hadn't been for his second wife's unsound logic, ulterior financial motives, and lack of empathy, he would have passed several years earlier.

It's heartbreaking knowing his life was unnecessarily extended due to two factors: greed and greed. Dad was ready to leave the party way before he did.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:45 am »

Don't beat yourself up, Randy. There was a time when I'd certainly have shot this. I used to shoot hoboes all the time in Colorado Springs. They're easier than what you shot here, but they pose some of the same spiritual problems. And I frequently shot people who obviously had mental handicaps, though I didn't post them.

But the problem is that there's not much of a story here, and perhaps more importantly no ambiguity to force the viewer to fill in some blanks. To me, those are the two things that make a good street shot.

And George, I understand that you saw ambiguity in this picture, but it's a situation we've all seen many times, and I don't see much ambiguity. The only question seems to be whether or not the woman is his keeper, and whether or not he rolled himself out here all alone.

Bottom line, I'm not moved as I was when I shot the picture "Dance," that I posted in late November. There are some similarities, but in Dance there are two people dancing in an open-front restaurant to music from a guitarist. The woman has a cigarette and a glass of beer in her hand. There's a handicapped kid in a wheelchair in that picture. I'll never know whether or not the dancers were the kid's parents, or whether the mom is single and dancing with a stranger. There are plenty of other questions that popped into my mind, but I couldn't stop the music and ask. The most important thing I grabbed from the scene was that two adults were having a good time away momentarily from a difficult situation. There's a story there, and it's loaded with ambiguity. To me that's what street should be. Unfortunately, too many people look at something like that -- or like your picture -- and say "I'd rather see a picture of a snowy mountain." Meaning, this is too disturbing. I need a safe space, a comfort dog, and some crayons.

Sorry for tooting my own horn, but I just grabbed the picture. I didn't set up the scene.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

N80

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 09:54:03 am »

Well, just for the record, my Dad has severe, late stage Alzheimers with Parkinsons. He is in a local home. He gets good care. My Mom is there twice a day, I am there several times a week. I am also a physician. A large portion of what I do is geriatric. I spent 10 years as a nursing home physician in addition to my regular practice.

So I am not removed from this type of situation. I know first hand everyday and second hand every day what this portion of the aging process means.

But even if this image is exactly what everyone thinks it is, I do not see an intrusion here. He is in Central Park for goodness sake. I can also see blessings. Regardless of his condition, he is outside in nice weather. He has a caretaker. He looks cared for.

But I would also caution reading too much into any image. Even in dementia these folks can still retain personality, humor and enjoyment. Surely that all goes away, but we do not know that here. Furthermore, I have plenty of very old patients who look real old and real bad who retain full mental capacity, sharp wit and a perspective on life only they can have.

So when someone says an image like this is taboo, I can't see why unless they know (or think they know) more about it than the picture actually tells.
George

Randy Carone

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 10:04:00 am »

RSL, I was not beating myself up. Not my nature. My only question about posting it was the intimate nature of the image that I felt almost needed a signed waiver. A similar situation to you choosing not to post the shots your describe. However, I do think there is a story here and some ambiguity. At least thought provoking, judging by the responses. I've paid close attention to all the discussions on LuLa regarding 'street shots' and I carefully considered those factors before posting. I shoot 'pretty pictures' most of the time and have long tried to move into the street arena. ;). The fact that this image has motivated discussion is uplifting. Thanks. I'll keep working on it.
Randy Carone

Randy Carone

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 10:08:59 am »

Here's an example of a shot I like from the same day. Not terribly street or interesting; no ambiguity and not much of a story. When I get home and look at a shot like this I only wish I knew the parents, who would love a print or file. Just fun.
Randy Carone

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 10:29:30 am »

"I think it's a very strong image, and at the same time, one I wouldn't have made. Therein one of the spiritual conflicts of photography. You can put it in to the same catergory as Don McCullin's shots of the albino boy in Africa, starving to death holding a tin... McCullin wasn't happy at all but still felt compelled."  -  Rob C

That's what I wrote.

It's not a condemnation nor does it purport ownership of any deeper knowledge of the photographed situation.

If anything, I suppose I see it as one of those things of which anyone over fifty is all too aware, and hardly needs documenting. For younger people the situation may well be invisible. So I guess that I see it as just another of the sad, almost inevitable aspects of living, and in no way something I'd want to put on film, as it were. I really prefer finding the beautiful aspects of life, even if I also find myself drawn irresistibly to the pictorial blues, but the latter usually do not include people. Frankly, I see a lot of sadness all around, every day. It seldom includes actual tears, but usually appears as evidence of someone's broken business dream, an abandoned home, a bar that's been on the market for several years, that kind of thing. It can even include the lies of beauty product advertisements. Yet, there's sometimes a flip-side: today, standing in the supermarket waiting my turn to pay, I saw a lady in front of me who used to run a small restaurant/bar which I frequented until last year, when it closed. She always looked to be at breaking point, and her daughter was constantly adding to the size of the family. Today, she looked happy, far healthier, and greeted me like a long-lost relative! So change can also be good, when you manage to get some things off your back. Or off your chest, as the case may be. (Sounds like a weak come-on line might be lurking somewhere in there.)

Rob

N80

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 11:14:17 am »

"I think it's a very strong image, and at the same time, one I wouldn't have made. Therein one of the spiritual conflicts of photography. You can put it in to the same catergory as Don McCullin's shots of the albino boy in Africa, starving to death holding a tin... McCullin wasn't happy at all but still felt compelled."  -  Rob C

That's what I wrote.

It's not a condemnation nor does it purport ownership of any deeper knowledge of the photographed situation.

Two thoughts. First, I get that you did not intend what you said as condemnation. But I still contend that when we say to someone who did something that we would not have done it, it is very hard to remove that element of judgement even if it is not intended. However, the OP has already said he did not take it that way, so my point is moot.  Second, being in the middle of this life event with a loved one I cannot see this image in the same light as one of a starving child. That seems a stretch to me.

If anything, I suppose I see it as one of those things of which anyone over fifty is all too aware, and hardly needs documenting.

Now that seems a little unfair. What needs to be documented? Especially among amateur photographers? Depending on one's perspective we could claim that nothing needs documenting. Anyway, I see lots of reasons that documenting an image like this is valuable. Matter of perspective, I guess.

For younger people the situation may well be invisible.

Seems to me that is reason enough to document it.

So I guess that I see it as just another of the sad, almost inevitable aspects of living, and in no way something I'd want to put on film, as it were.

You could say this about almost any aspect of life, no? That beautiful rosy cheeked toddler is going to end up like this just as the 19 year old fashion model. Life is life.

I really prefer finding the beautiful aspects of life

Of course. Me too. The danger there is of course the saccharin and the overly sentimental. But I have to say, along with the ancient Greeks I would guess, that there is beauty in pathos and tragedy. I think of the chapter in Fred Chappell's book, I Am One of You Forever when the telegram comes to tell the family that their adopted son was killed in a military training accident. Each family member metaphorically tries to hide and destroy the yellow telegram but it keeps reappearing. Sometimes in a jacket pocket, sometimes on the dining room table, sometimes folded into a rose shape. It is among the most beautiful things I have ever read. Likewise his chapter in Farewell I'm Bound to Leave you where the matriarch of the family is dying a natural death and all the clocks start turning backward, the wind shakes the old house and in her delerium tells the daughter what she is experiencing as she passes on to a better place.

Do I need that sort of sadness in my life right now? No. But again, possibly the most beautiful things I've ever read. Helps me deal with the events in my own life too, though.

That's sort of what I see in this picture. I'm a perfect example, I suppose, of what Russ says about art in general. I took the ball and ran in my own direction. I see my father sitting in that chair, in the sunshine, being cared for. In his current situation, this is as good as it gets and would be better than most days. Sad but silver lined maybe?

In any case, as the OP mentions, it has spoken to a number of us in a meaningful way.
George

Randy Carone

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 11:18:31 am »

Thank you George.
Randy Carone
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up