Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image resizing ...  (Read 1807 times)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
Image resizing ...
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:09:02 pm »

Hi,

Just making some up sizing test in C1Pro v10 and noticed that when using height as parameter it does not up size bigger then to 52 cm ... I tried 3 times and used 55, 59 and 60 cm and the result is always an image of 52cm height

I then made a test and used width with 200 cm and voila again the max height was 52 cm and in both cases the file size is 495.47 mb

Anybody same experience ?

Does C1 limit a file size and if yes is there somewhere a preference were I can change it ?

Thanks
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Image resizing ...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 05:17:12 pm »

Hi,

Just making some up sizing test in C1Pro v10 and noticed that when using height as parameter it does not up size bigger then to 52 cm ... I tried 3 times and used 55, 59 and 60 cm and the result is always an image of 52cm height

I then made a test and used width with 200 cm and voila again the max height was 52 cm and in both cases the file size is 495.47 mb

Anybody same experience ?

Does C1 limit a file size and if yes is there somewhere a preference were I can change it ?

Hi Rainer,

When upsampling by percentage, Capture One is limited to 250%. I don't know how large your source image is in pixels, and which PPI number you used, but could that amount to 250% of the original/cropped linear size in pixels?

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:43:28 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:25:35 pm »

Hi Rainer,

When upsampling by percentage, Capture One is limited to 250%. I don't know how large your source image is in pixels, and which PPI number you used, but could that amount to 250% of the original/cropped linear size in pixels?

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,

Thanks a lot.

Yes, that is the answer to my resizing problem. My original image is 5655 pixels wide and that multiplied by 2.5 equals to what I am getting ... 14136 pixels wide image ...

When upsizing in Photoshop CS6 I have no limit ...

Does C1 not trust his resizing capabilities ?  :D
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 03:47:43 am »

Hi Bart,

Thanks a lot.

Yes, that is the answer to my resizing problem. My original image is 5655 pixels wide and that multiplied by 2.5 equals to what I am getting ... 14136 pixels wide image ...

When upsizing in Photoshop CS6 I have no limit ...

Does C1 not trust his resizing capabilities ?  :D

LOL, I doubt it is lack of confidence or even modesty. It is probably a legacy limit from the times before version 9 when they introduced drastically improved resampling algorithms. They also might have thought that not much information is added by resampling, so there is a limit to the usefulness of upscaling the image data, and it's better to use a 100mp sensor to begin with ;) .

But there is a benefit to larger upsampling to match the native resolution of a printer, at 360 or 720 PPI for Epsons, and 300 or 600 PPI for Canon / HP / others. It allows to add output sharpening after upsampling, and perhaps even add some noise/dithering at that output resolution that will mask posterization and achieve smoother gradients. By doing so at the higher output resolution, one gains control and precision, and avoid that the printer driver/pipeline will again do a resampling with a low quality resampling algorithm.

Judging from what seems to be missing output sharpening functionality in the Print module, I suspect/assume that they were not finished with fully implementing that new and improved sharpening functionality, and that an improved Print module and associated maximum upsampling size are still in the works.

Cheers,
Bart

IanSeward

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 03:30:50 pm »

LOL, I doubt it is lack of confidence or even modesty. It is probably a legacy limit from the times before version 9 when they introduced drastically improved resampling algorithms. They also might have thought that not much information is added by resampling, so there is a limit to the usefulness of upscaling the image data, and it's better to use a 100mp sensor to begin with ;) .

But there is a benefit to larger upsampling to match the native resolution of a printer, at 360 or 720 PPI for Epsons, and 300 or 600 PPI for Canon / HP / others. It allows to add output sharpening after upsampling, and perhaps even add some noise/dithering at that output resolution that will mask posterization and achieve smoother gradients. By doing so at the higher output resolution, one gains control and precision, and avoid that the printer driver/pipeline will again do a resampling with a low quality resampling algorithm.

Judging from what seems to be missing output sharpening functionality in the Print module, I suspect/assume that they were not finished with fully implementing that new and improved sharpening functionality, and that an improved Print module and associated maximum upsampling size are still in the works.

Cheers,
Bart

How do you think Qimage does with regard to automatically resizing and sharpening the image for printing.  It claims to optimise these aspects and its sharpening tools appear to give good results.

Ian

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 03:48:31 pm »

How do you think Qimage does with regard to automatically resizing and sharpening the image for printing.  It claims to optimise these aspects and its sharpening tools appear to give good results.

Hi Ian,

Qimage Ultimate does a very good job of resizing and has a very effective halo free (DFS) sharpening capability also for (Smart) output sharpening. It's highly recommended. But it does require installing it as an additional program besides Capture One, so doesn't solve the single application limitation in size.

On the other hand, Qimage can print pretty much at any size, and offers a slew of other benefits for printed output. The fact that it's a Windows program can be circumvented on the Mac OS by running it under Parallels or a similar Virtual Machine application.

Cheers,
Bart

FrankStark

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 06:01:26 pm »

Have been putting it off, because it requires not only Qimage, but a copy of a windows operating system. But OK, you have convinced me.

Frank
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin
Pages: [1]   Go Up