Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I Keep My P45+ If I Upgrade?  (Read 1972 times)

JoeKitchen

Should I Keep My P45+ If I Upgrade?
« on: December 04, 2016, 05:40:30 pm »

I am considering upgrading my back to an IQ260 and wondering if I should keep my P45+ as a backup if I do or just trade it in? 

The reasons I want to upgrade is the wireless connectivity to iPad (making my life much easier for exterior images), the modern interface (once again, making my life easier) and the ability to connect to the XF platform (which I may have an occasional, but ongoing, need for soon; the DF+ sucks in comparison).  Also, Sensor+ is a huge plus and I may need higher ISO ability occasionally as well.  On splash work, zero latency and not needing a wake up button is huge too. 

It is always good to have a back up of everything, and since the P45+ has been fully mine for a while now, it might be good for me to keep.  Plus I like the cleaner longer exposures. 

Realistically though, I have to wonder how often I would use it if I had an IQ260.  Trading it in or selling it sooner, rather than later, will net more capital, and there is no reason to keep a few grand on the shelf unused while loosing value. 

So for those of you who have used both backs, what is your opinion? 

(If you must know why an IQ260 and not an IQ3 100, or even an IQ380, it boils down to lens cast.  Although the IQ3 100 may be fine for you landscape shooters where light/white gradients are rare, it is a big issue for me.  Remember, almost all ceilings are white and noise due to lens cast on the IQ3 100 is unacceptable IMO.  Now, IQ360?  Why pay an extra $10K for just power sharing, especially if I will be using it most often on a technical camera.) 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:44:53 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Should I Keep My P45+ If I Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:22:21 pm »

My response a month ago would have been different.... but based on C1 v10... I wonder if the 100mp Lcc correction is now better than using the other sensors with standard lcc correction.  The demo photo looked pretty convincing.  I have yet to try the 100mp out in my typical tech cam architectural setting.  I never would have...but not with this software upgrade it seems worth a try.

I would personally let the p45 go if you upgrade.  Any time I have kept something just in case it never gets used again and then sold for less later.  These sensors have proven to be quite reliable.  If something failed, it's much easier and cheaper to keep something else on hand as an emergency back up.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Bo_Dez

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 05:28:00 am »

I used to keep all my old gear in case. Now I have a house full of unsellable old gear that I will never use again and even if I could find a buyer what I would get for it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I could have recouped that money and put it somewhere else, even just a holiday.

I went from the P45 to 160 and didn't look back. For me it's been the sweet spot. IMO, get rid of it before prices plummet even further. If you have a specific project that you can't risk without a backup, rent one and bill it to the client.

minicoop1985

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 06:26:46 am »

If it were me, since the PO45+ is going to be saleable for quite a while yet, I would hang on to it for now, just to see how well the IQ260 fits your needs. Then if you find it suits everything you need, then say sayonara.
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 09:16:39 am »

Looks like trade it in (or sell it) is the best answer I guess. 

I never tested the IQ260 on interiors with multiple exposures.  I'll have to give that a try this week with my other half's IQ260. 

vjbelle

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:47:26 pm »

I know this is not your original question but thought I would supply input regarding wifi and an ipad.  I have a 3100 which has more up to date wifi than what you are considering and found it buggy/iffy when trying to connect to an ipad.  The whole experience turned me off so much that I gave up on it completely - even though it was only a novelty for me.  As another poster suggested you may want to check out a 3100 or 1100 with the latest software to see if it meets your color uniformity requirements - and if funds permit.  The new CMOS chips are really a dream to work with. 

Victor
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:56:11 pm by vjbelle »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 04:55:09 pm »

Thanks Victor, that is good to know.  I will have to test it out. 

Insofar as the IQ 100s, I am just not sold on the current CMOS sensors.  Maybe in the future when they have better acute angle response, I will take a look.  Plus, CCD and CMOS have different looks, and I prefer CCD. 

dubrocaj@gmail.com

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:45:56 pm »

I took a step back from digital and went back to film. 120 and 4x5. Cheaper cameras and lenese and better and different quaiilty. Maybe a little more work but very pleasing results. Give it a try. It may surprize you. Next week going  with film only. Color and b&w and a bunch of filters. Do this a couple of times of year
Thanks Victor, that is good to know.  I will have to test it out. 

Insofar as the IQ 100s, I am just not sold on the current CMOS sensors.  Maybe in the future when they have better acute angle response, I will take a look.  Plus, CCD and CMOS have different looks, and I prefer CCD. 
and it helps me mentally. No digital next week. Im crarzy or just trying different. Maybe shoot fuji instax film also. 

tomholdsworth

• Tom Holdsworth Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 05:39:50 pm »

Joe, I'm a little late jumping in here - I shoot architecture as well. I think you should hang onto your P45+.  I've had a Credo 40 for the past two years and love it - but rented both a Credo 50 and IQ250 on different occasions this year for some larger projects. I found the CMOS chip to be a significant advantage for my way of working. I typically shoot a base file empty and then add people in separate frames. The CMOS allows me to shoot at an ISO a few stops higher, keeps the blur down with moving people, etc. Anyway, I decided to purchase a used Credo 50 as a companion to my 40. I expect to be using the 50 more often, but am keeping the 40 because 1) the resale value already stinks, 2) crazy shifts for tall buildings will not play as nicely with the CMOS, 3) REDUNDANCY!. I've been working with a tech camera rig for five years now, with no secondary system. By some miracle I've never had a significant problem with the back in the middle of a shoot. But I'm traveling more, shooting larger jobs, etc. The idea of having a back failure or dropping it off a balcony in front of a client gives me a cold sweat.  I used to own a P45+, and it was a fantastic back. Just annoying with moiré sometimes and the base ISO was pretty damn slow. I really liked it with exteriors, though - and wish they still made chips that size. Keep it unless you need the $4k or whatever you get for a trade.

Tom

Pages: [1]   Go Up