Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One for Russ!  (Read 1836 times)

Rob C

One for Russ!
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:14:25 pm »

Russ, a photograph of your erstwhile favourite camera, plus article:

http://leicaphilia.com/leicaphilia-and-the-unbearable-asymmetry-of-bullshit/

Makes me wish I had one. Jeanloup Sieff used them too...

Rob

Telecaster

Re: One for Russ!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:48:10 pm »

Seems on point to me.  ;)

-Dave-

bcooter

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 03:42:34 pm »

Seems on point to me.  ;)

-Dave-

Just the word Leica can be polarizing. I’ve heard the dentist, Venture Capitalist line about 1 million times and never understood it, given the number of great images made using a Leica.

When Leica makes a special addition then the heat turns up about 1 billion degrees, cause the inter web  loves to judge.   

I never used a rangefinder until the m-8 came out and I bought one pretty fast.  I didn’t need it, I wanted it and I still use it. 

It’s kind of glitchy, the shutter noise is a little clunky, not a swish more of a clank noise, but I still love it.   I wish it tethered, long lenses like 90 mm are almost impossible but it doesn’t matter to me.   

I don’t use it all the time, but it’s a camera that I usually keep charged which I can’t say for all our other cameras and when I shoot with it it’s kind of like going to the lab and seeing your film for the first time.

Because what pops up on the screen looks nothing like that you just saw in the viewfinder.  It’s always a pleasant surprise.    (hopefully).

Also I love Leica’s dng.  It works in everything and I’ll bet (could be wrong) that people change out their Leicas a lot less than they do other cameras.   

That seems to be the issue with Leica, everybody mentions costs, but if you keep it for a long time it’s not that expensive. 

I was going to buy an M9 but didn’t see the point as 99% of what I shoot with the M8 is with a 24 which makes it a 35 which makes it essentially longer when you work horizontal, at least with live subjects.

Sometimes I go to a 35mm or a 50mm, but that's about it.

I know everyone says there is no difference, but I have a theory that lower iso cameras make you work differently.  Maybe with lights, maybe with a camera support even if it’s using a lamp post to steady it.

Same with my S2 series.   I guess to most people it makes zero sense, a larger than 35mm camera with one focus point at only 37 mpx, but it’s just a beautiful machine to work with and the corporate attitude of we’ll play our game, you guys play yours.

This compilation represents, studio flash, soft overcast light, tungsten in studio, hard backlit, hard side lit sunshine and mixed light, all with a crop factor with ancient ccd film.

Should I have used the camera, probably not, dunno, but I had it, I used it, it worked.  I guess the last line is it worked.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:47:18 pm by bcooter »

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:31:58 pm »

BC, no disagreement from me re. Leicas. They're what I learned pic taking on. My "on point" comment was about other aspects of the piece.

-Dave-

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 05:07:05 pm »

Thanks, Rob. I loved that camera with a passion. I'd never go back to it now, but I still look back on it with delight. My M2 was okay and my IIIf had its place, but though the M4 did the same things, and didn't really do them any better than the others. . . Well, my attachment to that camera wasn't really logical.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:53:05 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 05:16:33 pm »

BC, no disagreement from me re. Leicas. They're what I learned pic taking on. My "on point" comment was about other aspects of the piece.

-Dave-

Dave,

I kind of know you well enough to know you didn't mean negative or positive.

This isn't you, cause you dig taking photos with a lot of equipment.   My only point is how the web get's worked up about different things.   

It's like cars, nobody bitches is you buy a $85,000 Tesla cause your perceived to be saving the planet, but drop 75 large on a corvette and people will give you a ration of it.    I bet if I bought that red ping pong Leica, shot the best gig in the world with it and showed the camera on line, the response wouldn't be that positive, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think it's cool that people buy and can afford what they want.   It's their choice and a lot of them worked for it.  I love that pride in ownership thing and if your the type that wants a red Leica, then who's to say?

BC
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:35:52 pm by bcooter »

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 04:14:28 am »

bcooter

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 01:48:10 pm »

Regarding obsolete equipment, and M8 specifically:

http://leicaphilia.com/is-the-insert-older-leica-camera-model-here-still-a-good-camera/

Rob

I don't use the m-8 that much and have way too many cameras, though when you drop 6 grand for something, even if it was long ago, it just seems silly to sell it for $1,500 (if that).

Plus I get weary of the latest and greatest.   All digital cameras are good, in some ways better than film, in some ways worse, but counting pixels is rare in my genre.

IMO

BC

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 04:01:35 pm »

Yeah, I have no problem with the "oddities" Leica makes. Helps keep 'em in business. As I mentioned in the recent (and very meandering) Leica thread my own M6 is a fancypants titanium & brown leather luxury jobbie. I got it used, but nonetheless…

IMO the M8.2 is a fine camera. It's got quirks but I can live with 'em.

If Tesla were to make a '58 (or so) 'Vette repro with their battery-powered guts I'd be all over it.  8)

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up