Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: False color landscape  (Read 1119 times)

marton

False color landscape
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:53:00 pm »

Foggy start of an early morning 2000k drive

BobDavid

Re: False color landscape
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 01:22:25 am »

Appropriate color for embarking on a 2,000k drive. I am curious to see what false colors you'll choose as you continue on your journey.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:31:20 am »

Yup, it's a false colour landscape...
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

marton

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 05:55:01 pm »

Insightful and helpful critiques are good. Hopefully I'll get one....at some point.   

pearlstreet

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 07:07:45 pm »

Hi Marton,

I like the foggy trees in the distance, the quiet morning feel. The large circle of blown sky really dominates though. This would be a stronger composition if the sky weren't blown. My personal tastes runs to not noticing processing. I don't like the trend towards super contrasty, sharp, no shadows, etc. But that is personal taste and not shared by all.

Sharon

marton

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 07:29:07 pm »

Thanks Sharon

Noted re the blown sky, I'll see what else I can do with it for experimentation sake.

So that's interesting. I mean that you see the processing here as a trend. Unsharp mask was something we were instructed to use as the final processing of a photograph while at University only last year. If you don't mind my asking, do you shoot film or digital?

pearlstreet

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 12:34:00 pm »

Sorry to be unclear. I mentioned contrast, etc as commonly over-processed and you obviously did not do that. But the color here isn't natural so it's going to hit your viewer in the face and I'm not sure what it does here. The dominance of the blown sky makes it difficult to get past and get the feel you were going for.

I shoot digital. And I quit posting landscapes for critique - I used to on Fred Miranda forums - because you get too much critique that wants you to conform to a certain aesthetic. For instance - they hated white space, wanted everything cropped super tight. They loved telling you to pano crop which rarely appeals to me. And they always said to add more contrast!!

So I'm trying to be careful in how I offer critique. I'm not saying your color choice is bad. But that one element of blown sky is more dominant than the color is.

Sharon

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »

But that one element of blown sky is more dominant than the color is.

Sharon
[/quote]

+1

Also, blown sky can be, and even look, natural sometimes.  Here it is faintly red and up against green in the middle of the picture.  It could fit in as the apocalypse of your choice or a chance for product placement; otherwise it doesn't relate.  I like the grass and trees.

Bruce

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 01:27:48 pm »

Insightful and helpful critiques are good. Hopefully I'll get one....at some point.

Please, sarcasm is not necessary.

marton

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 07:28:12 pm »

Please, sarcasm is not necessary.

Sometimes it is. But in this case, what you interpret as sarcasm, I meant as frustration with the puerile.

marton

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 07:36:04 pm »

Sorry to be unclear. I mentioned contrast, etc as commonly over-processed and you obviously did not do that. But the color here isn't natural so it's going to hit your viewer in the face and I'm not sure what it does here. The dominance of the blown sky makes it difficult to get past and get the feel you were going for.

I shoot digital. And I quit posting landscapes for critique - I used to on Fred Miranda forums - because you get too much critique that wants you to conform to a certain aesthetic. For instance - they hated white space, wanted everything cropped super tight. They loved telling you to pano crop which rarely appeals to me. And they always said to add more contrast!!

So I'm trying to be careful in how I offer critique. I'm not saying your color choice is bad. But that one element of blown sky is more dominant than the color is.

Sharon

I appreciate your input Sharon. Your observations are totally not offensive and I appreciate the time you take to make them. I dig what you're saying re photograph critiquing. Group think becomes a thing at any forum after a while. I generally have no part in it.

marton

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 08:16:55 pm »

This is the original monochrome file. I think I prefer it. False colour is kinda irritating. The rising sun/sky is not clipping at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up