Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ON ONE Raw converter--WHY?  (Read 15283 times)

jimh

• Jim H Photo
Re: ON ONE Raw converter--WHY?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 03:40:27 pm »

How can I clearly see the demosaicing issue?  If I bring up the same photo in LR and ON1PR, do no sharpening (I assume basic demosaicing still happens) and zoom to 100% - I'll see a significant difference that subsequent sharpening can't totally eliminate? 

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 05:19:56 pm »

I think the screen layout is good, the exif information is displayed well and the placement of the different modules for browse and develop seem logical.
Browsing is very fast indeed once the program has created a cache in its "fastbrowse" folder. Before that happens you can wait a long time for an image to load.

I crashed the program four times in fifteen minutes just in the browse mode.
Unless you are interested in helping with the development, I'd wait until version two comes out maybe next year. By then they'll have dual monitor support and the problems probably sorted. This is very much a buggy beta version, and you have to wonder at the wisdom of letting it out as a "pre-release".
Shows promise. I was hoping to have something else to edit my X-T2 raw files on, but I don't think this is it yet.

Edit: I know this is a silly, but one thing really annoys me.
I understand rating and colour-coding a file, but "like or dislike"?? What happened to "set as delete" or whatever? It reminds me of Microsoft's Mr. Paperclip.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 07:04:54 pm by David Sutton »

tonyrom

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 01:44:41 am »

Not sure how good the Raw conversion is.  I took the same landscape photo, raw.  Loaded the software in both LR and ON1.  Not only is there detail missing, there is color and texture missing as well.  Check out the attachments.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 09:02:22 am »

Not sure how good the Raw conversion is.  I took the same landscape photo, raw.  Loaded the software in both LR and ON1.  Not only is there detail missing, there is color and texture missing as well.  Check out the attachments.

Hi Tony,

That is what I have also found (see other thread about On1 Photo Raw). The Raw conversion quality leaves something to be desired, and I'm not sure if that will be fixed before the official version is released. It's a pity if they do not improve that aspect, because otherwise it looks like a reasonably fast Raw converter with lots of possibilities.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

mburke

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 07:20:39 am »

There are a few things that need fixing like crop tool, herky jerky brushing, and memory leak issues, but overall it is a really interesting program. I opened 10-12 files of varying quality in both LRCC and On1 and could not tell the difference in quality. No matter what program you use do I use the opening raw as my final effort. I always tweak the various settings depending on what's needed. I think that ON1 has tremendous potential. It has a lot of speed and many options for styling your photos. In 6 months or so when they have cleaned up some of their early issues they will have a nice program

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 04:52:12 pm »

I am, frankly, underwhelmed by On1 RAW. I used the "pre-lease", which was seriously hobbled, and found it slower and more cumbersome that LR or ACR and even than DxO or Capture One. I then downloaded, when it became available, the release version of On1 RAW 2017. It has crashed every single time I've tried to launch it with no fixes available.

Wasted money. On1 Photo 10 was decent, especially when doing textured overlays, etc. But, frankly, any of my other plugins do the same job in different ways (and I own a lot of them: Nik, Alien Skin Exposure, Topaz). This will probably be the last time I pay for an On1 upgrade. I used to use Genuine Fractals a lot, but with my 5Ds, find it less necessary. That said, I find that On1 Resize (nee Genuine Fractals) can be slow and kludgy. the only thing I still use it for is to extend the edges to do a canvas gallery wrap.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up