Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affinity Photo for Windows - BETA  (Read 11146 times)

David Good

Re: Affinity Photo for Windows - BETA
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 07:45:45 am »

I purchased the Windows version as well, a no-brainer especially at this price point for so many powerful features. It also recognized the few pug-ins that I have, quite impressed as well!

Manoli

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 10:08:15 am »

Of course, things start with a good Raw conversion, and that's where it is currently lacking a bit in my (spoiled with Capture One quality) opinion. The apparent option to choose a Raw conversion engine is promising, but I'm not sure which options will become available. Apparently, on the Mac OS version, there are already several options available but I do not know which, and how they differ.

Hi Bart - On a mac the raw conversion options are either Serif Labs or Apple (Core Image RAW), somehow I don't think you'll be seeing the CaptureOne engine any time soon !

Has anyone managed to get Focus Magic (Ps plugin) to work in Affinity ?

myotis

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 11:17:17 am »

I don't have Focus Magic, but its listed as working by Serif.

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/

Cheers,

Graham

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 12:09:02 pm »

Hi Bart - On a mac the raw conversion options are either Serif Labs or Apple (Core Image RAW), somehow I don't think you'll be seeing the CaptureOne engine any time soon !

Unfortunately no ;)  Apparently the choice offered on the MacOS version is just the default OS raw converter. And while I'm not blown away by the Serif Raw converter, the PhotoEditor is quite powerful.

Yes, it works (on Windows 10 anyway), In the preferences select Plugins and just add the folder of the plugin version that got installed in the Photoshop Plugins folder, check 'Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used', restart Affinity Photo and select Filters Plugins.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Manoli

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 12:45:39 pm »

Thanks, Bart. Yes I've done that but on the latest version of CC, Adobe has 'moved' the plugin folders to a centralised 'Application Support' Library folder , separate from the Photoshop subdirectories (at least on Mac OS X) and this is adding difficulties to Affinity plugin compatibility.

Graham, above, kindly posted a link to Affinity plug-in support (thank you, Graham) but I can tell you that that list doesn't reflect my experience. Both Topaz Clarity & Detail, to name but two, don't work consistently - so much so that, IMO, it's not worth the trouble - yet.

It's a good, very good app, but the reality, I suspect, is that we've been become too ingrained into the Photoshop 'way' over the years , which is still the industry standard, and my guess is it'll remain so - not least because of extensive plug-in usage and macro programming. Affinity is a great program as a 'Layers for C1 / Lr', and easy to incorporate into a workflow as long as one keeps it simple. Interesting Haze Removal filter and good implementation of both Frequency Separation and Liquify too - though Liquify is nowhere near as accomplished as the latest Adobe version.

A more extensive plug-in compatibility program would go a long way to improving its usefulness as a Ps replacement, though I can see it's a more attractive proposition to users of CS6, less so to users of CC.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:49:40 pm by Manoli »

myotis

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 01:45:52 pm »

Graham, above, kindly posted a link to Affinity plug-in support (thank you, Graham) but I can tell you that that list doesn't reflect my experience. Both Topaz Clarity & Detail, to name but two, don't work consistently - so much so that, IMO, it's not worth the trouble - yet.

If you click on the symbol beside each plugin name, it gives some extra information about reliability. Focus magic seems to be one of the few that is meant to run without issue.

It's a great pity, as a low cost option to run photoshop plugins would be very useful. 

Apparently, although there is a standard for photoshop plugins, in practice plugins don't follow this strictly and Serif will need the plugin developers to help make them compatible.  Topaz seem to have the same problem with PhotoFXlab, which is also meant to run any photoshop compatible plugins, but doesn't. At least this is what I have gathered from the respective forums. 

In terms of Affinity, Topaz have said they will look into making their plugins compatible if enough users ask for it.

Cheers,

Graham

David Good

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 02:37:42 pm »

In terms of Affinity, Topaz have said they will look into making their plugins compatible if enough users ask for it.

Graham

The Topaz plug-ins I have work on my Windows version, as Bart mentioned you must check the 'Unknown" checkbox first.
Dave

myotis

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 03:10:29 pm »

The Topaz plug-ins I have work on my Windows version, as Bart mentioned you must check the 'Unknown" checkbox first.
Dave

Thanks, I haven't tried to run any yet, I was just going on what Serif and Topaz had said.

But the Serif list is Mac only, which Serif have said is likely to be similar for Windows (except PTLens, which does't work on Windows) and they have just posted on their forum "Due to the constant updates there may be some inaccuracies even for the Mac list." So maybe with the 1.5 release, things work better than the list suggests.

Cheers,

Graham
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up