Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small backpacking tripod  (Read 108056 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Small backpacking tripod
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2018, 03:05:19 pm »

After using the Pedco for a while I decided I want to try something else, a little more stable and streamlined (I hate taking out the Pedco out of the side mesh pocket as it has an irregular form and just gets caught in the mesh).

I have a small Sirui T-025 which I modified (cut the center column, in the new one you can remove it) but it was a little too big for what I wanted.

Enter the RRS TFA-01 with BC-18 microball: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317755-REG/really_right_stuff_13718_tfa_01_ultra_pocket_pod.html
This is not a cheap combo and I went back and fourth many times if it's worth it before going for it.
It is lightweight 239g (8.45oz) on my scale and very solid. The legs have 3 independent positions and with the lower 2 it provides a very stable combination for most cameras that you might want to take when hiking (load capacity at 15lbs for legs, 10 lbs for the head). It is definitely much more stable than the Pedco and with 3 independent positions for the legs it is more versatile for a small penalty in weight and a big one in price.
The head feels incredibly strong. A little more difficult to lock it in place exactly where you want it but with a little practice it becomes easier. It only tilts up to 45 degrees but I don't think it's a big deal here, more and you lose stability and I use an L-plate anyway.
So far I only used in the city but I think it will do as well or better when hiking. Had it with an E-M5ii and 12-100, could easily take a camera twice as big.

armand

• Photos
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:57:54 am by armand »

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2018, 01:01:46 pm »

That does look nice and although not cheap, it's not bad for anything with Gitzo printed on it!

I agree on the Pedco one being easily caught on mesh but I addressed that issue by storing it in a different compartment of my pack.
What I'd really like to see is something like the Gitzo but also with the strap feature of the Pedco. The strap is occasionally very handy!
-MattB

armand

• Photos
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2018, 03:13:09 pm »

For a handy person if the need is high one could come up with a DIY option. I might try that and see what I can come up with.

I already got the RRS so I find hard to justify getting this one too for no obvious benefits. The main change is that with that head you can go to 90 degrees instead of the max 45 on the RRS but honestly on a tripod so small I'm not sure it's such a good idea, too unstable. I would rather continue to use L-plates. With the RRS if I drop it on some rocks I'm not worried, with a carbon fiber one not so much.

MatthewSaville

• Astro-Landscape Photographer
    • Astro-Landscapes.com
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2018, 08:16:00 pm »

My favorite tabletop tripod has been the Giottos QU500B; it's slightly bigger and yet lighter than the Manfrotto 209, but you have to look for the Giottos used, it's discontinued. There are some knock-off generic brands, but they're junk. Stick with a solid, known brand.
"My first thought is always of light" - Galen Rowell

CeeVee

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2018, 05:58:02 am »

I don't see the utility of tabletop tripods, unless you are a very short Hobbit.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2018, 09:36:32 am »

I don't see the utility of tabletop tripods, unless you are a very short Hobbit.

There are almost 3 pages in this thread going over the use of a compact tripod. It's a good start.

CeeVee

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2018, 10:21:50 am »

Compact/travel - yes. Got one. Tabletop - no. Tried it, didn't like it.
I thought a tabletop tripods would work for macro, not. Found the best, most flexible setup was camera on a rail, 105 macro and subject on a small table.
There are almost 3 pages in this thread going over the use of a compact tripod. It's a good start.

stever

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2018, 05:57:06 am »

there are a few situations where tabletop tripods are useful without a table, but i don't find many of them where i want to take a photo

MatthewSaville

• Astro-Landscapes.com
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »

When you've already lugged 2-3+ tripods (per person) into the wilderness, but you know you might still want just one more timelapse, then you definitely start wishing you had a tabletop tripod in your bag... ;-)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2018, 10:10:44 pm »

When you've already lugged 2-3+ tripods (per person) into the wilderness, but you know you might still want just one more timelapse, then you definitely start wishing you had a tabletop tripod in your bag... ;-)

WTF?  :D  4 tripods? I suspect in that bag you only have camera equipment? Either way, almost makes me want to man up and carry a bigger tripod which is still quite flimsy though. The one that I have now: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Pocket-Pod-Packages?quantity=1&custcol34=1&custcol35=12 is small but mighty, quite solid.

MatthewSaville

• Astro-Landscapes.com
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2018, 12:46:04 am »

WTF?  :D  4 tripods? I suspect in that bag you only have camera equipment? Either way, almost makes me want to man up and carry a bigger tripod which is still quite flimsy though. The one that I have now: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Pocket-Pod-Packages?quantity=1&custcol34=1&custcol35=12 is small but mighty, quite solid.

Haha yeah, sometimes one of us carries more tripods or lenses while another carries more tent poles or pots & pans...

I'm part of a group of friends who plan adventures centered around a single, ambitious image, and what winds up happening is that 2-5 friends lug 2-3 cameras each up a mountain or into the wilderness, ...and see what ensues. Sometimes we fail miserably to capture the one image we had planned, of course, but we always come away with loads of other stuff. It's hard not to when you have 2-4 cameras per person at your disposal for various still/timelapse ideas.

Often, the 2nd or 3rd and/or 4th camera that we bring is just a compact camera, a Sony RX10 or RX100 for example, or a Canon Rebel or Nikon D5300 class camera. It's usually not a problem to find a nearby rock or log to set a tabletop tripod on. But, I've also never had a problem getting a giant DSLR and lens stably supported by either of the ones I've owned.

In the 2nd image, I modified the Manfrotto to have a tiny little Arca Swiss plate, the QRC-1 if I'm not mistaken. It only weighs a few ounces total...

BTW, here's a couple videos of the fun times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-UOryF4J1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox1NzjRMfxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFxbx--HFUs

CeeVee

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2018, 06:31:00 am »

OMG

CeeVee

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2018, 03:38:57 pm »

I carried an F3 with Nikkor 25-50 F4 Zoom and 10 rolls of 36 exp (ISO 200) on a 10 day/100 Mike AT hike. My walking staff had a 1/-20 stud in the end. But that was a hike to go 100 miles not a trek to take pictures. I'll day hike with a tripod, maybe even overnite but that's it.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2018, 04:59:33 pm »

The specs of the FLM CP10-Tabletop Tripod seem very interesting for wide- (and very low-) angle macro shots (and for cardiopathic lovers of alpine flowers photography as well... ;D)

CeeVee

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2018, 05:25:40 pm »

Where are you going to find a table when you're 30 miles from Nowhere USA?

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2018, 05:44:52 pm »

"In truth I tell you, the ground will be your table"

CeeVee

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2018, 07:21:03 pm »

U R dreaming.

bassman51

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2018, 05:06:59 pm »

I have this Manfroto table tripod and it works well.  The legs will support anything you are likely to have, and you can upgrade the ballhead if you need to.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/283757-REG/Manfrotto_709B_709_Digi_Tabletop_Tripod.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItYew_sPD3wIVUuDICh3zuAc4EAQYAiABEgIfhfD_BwE&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=Y

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2018, 09:39:59 am »

U R dreaming.

"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one"

I have this Manfroto table tripod and it works well.  The legs will support anything you are likely to have, and you can upgrade the ballhead if you need to.

I prefere those with adjustable leg angles, in order to go really to the ground with camera in portrait position on an L-bracket and tilted on the side, so that it can touch the ground.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:00:00 am by muntanela »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up