Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Canon EF extenders

(1/4) > >>

JPlayer:
This is probably common knowledge but unknown to me. I have doubts about the quality of the image if an extender is used. So, is it worth getting say the 2.0 extender for the 70-200 2.8L IS. How much is the image quality going to be compromised?

Anyone a fan of extenders?

Tim Gray:
Not a fan on any of the zoom's, but pretty decent on the 300 2.8 IS (the only prime I've tested it on).  FWIW here are some very casual comparisons of 70-200, 100-400 and 300 2.8 with various combinations of extenders.  Read the notes at the top of the page first.  These are 100% crops, but you have to right click and "save as" and then review in eg: photoshop.

http://www.timgrayphotography.com/gallerie...n300/index.html

Fred Ragland:
The 1.4xII extender on the 70-200 2.8L IS gets you to 280mm and causes minimal image degradation on my 1DS2.  The trade-off is usually whether I can afford to lose a stop under the existing light conditions.

The 2.0 extender does cause noticeable problems as print size increases and you lose two stops of light.

davaglo:
[attachment=788:attachment]Canon 20D with 70-200 f2.8 IS with 1/4 extender. Subject at about 50 yards.  Hand Held.

JPlayer:

--- Quote ---[attachment=788:attachment]Canon 20D with 70-200 f2.8 IS with 1/4 extender. Subject at about 50 yards.  Hand Held.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69856\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the replies. Davaglo, unfortunately I am unable to open the your photo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version