Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Profiler and cmyk profile workflow  (Read 1914 times)

bgasser

i1Profiler and cmyk profile workflow
« on: October 18, 2016, 03:32:09 pm »

I am creating a cmyk profile with i1profiler and am curious if anyone knows what the difference is between the Total Ink Limit set on the first page of the workflow and the Total Ink Limit set on the last page of the workflow before actually creating the profile?

As usual, Xrite is of no help.

Thanks.

Ben Gasser
Metal Mouth Prints
Kansas City
http://metalmouthprints.com
http://bengasser.com

Erland

Re: i1Profiler and cmyk profile workflow
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:40:15 pm »

The first is for selecting the max amount of toner/ink the testchart is made out of. IE if you know your paper don't handle that much of toner/ink you set it to an appropriate amount.
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

bgasser

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 04:01:08 pm »

That is what I suspected. Now how does the second Total Ink Limit setting effect the profile?

My experience has been that if you set the second above the first setting it actually increases the ink load on the paper but if you lower it below the first setting it does nothing.

Does that seem to fit with your experience?

Erland

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:40:13 pm »

Never tried it. Usually make them match, and most cases use Fogra39 (300%) as the set value. Though X-Rites products tend to have some bugs, I think if you lower the end value, it should take it considerations when creating the profile. I am gonna check it tomorrow, just out of curiosity.

And also while on the subject, this thread is a good explanation on how the sliders work:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=72499.0
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:08:47 pm »

My experience has been that if you set the second above the first setting it actually increases the ink load on the paper but if you lower it below the first setting it does nothing.
Sounds odd. Normally in profiling one would set the test chart limit a little higher than the final target limit (10% is the rule of thumb ArgyllCMS uses by default), so that the measured data encompasses the final target gamut.

In my experience setting a final target above that used in the test chart results in poor accuracy - the device response has to be extrapolated, and extrapolation tends to be inaccurate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up