Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nowhereville, Fla. USA  (Read 1139 times)

BobDavid

Nowhereville, Fla. USA
« on: October 11, 2016, 12:14:57 am »

Oct. 10, 2016
9:30 PM

Rob C

Re: Nowhereville, Fla. USA
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:22:42 am »

I like the idea a lot; reminds me of a school of photography whose main practitioner's name evades me right now, but yes, it works well with American subjects. I can't see it making much sense in Europe, but it does in America. In a way, sort of similar to Edward Hopper's eye, and interesting if one gets the idea, the sense of what it's telling us about expectations compared with where actual realisation gets us...

The second shot, of the empty post box, reminds me of yesterday when I turned up at the post office expecting to find my Leiter B/W double-tomes awaiting. Nothing there. Maybe today. But yes, a good theme if your eye can keep up with finding such material which may not be all that easy to do.

I also think that it's essential this be in colour; black/white would track it all to another train of thought, far easier to understand, but not what I think this is about.

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:27:08 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 07:55:34 am »

Hmmm...love it! In particular the first one. Has some of that Gregory Crewdson feel.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:34:41 am »

Hmmm...love it! In particular the first one. Has some of that Gregory Crewdson feel.

Yes, he's the guy, Slobodan. What a curse is fading memory!

;-)

Rob

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 08:39:39 am »

Gregory's work is beautiful... I am not at all in his league. I'm a loner with an Oly.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:48:26 am by BobDavid »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:31:25 am »

Rob, you just beat me to it. The difference is that Crewdson's stuff is all a setup -- as on a movie set. Bob just SEES.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 09:34:38 am »

Gregory's work is beautiful... I am not at all in his league. I'm a loner with an Oly.

So is Frank a loner, but it was not an Oly...

Leagues are artificial constructs - artificial by definiton, I guess - and only mean anything externally within the conditioned mindsets of the others out there. It's an error to judge oneself by the measure of someone famous for that reason: it's an arbitrary thing the crowd bestows, based on whim and accident and general consensus based on the same dubious calls that bring one guy work and another not. I think this happens because nobody is really ever certain if they are looking at talent or they are not looking at it. They bluff.

Rejoice in yourself. Some call it narcissism but I don't: I call it sanity.

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 12:40:19 pm »

Good stuff, as expected, Bob.
The others have said it well.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 03:31:05 pm »

I turned up at the post office expecting to find my Leiter B/W double-tomes awaiting. Nothing there.

Mine arrived today :)

Yes, I hadn't identified it but the "could that light be real?" feel of Crewdson is there.

The essayist makes the comment that Leiter shot nudes as though they were street photos... Crewdson shoots the street as though it was in a studio :) But if you can find your own way in that direction, so much the better  :)

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 04:08:57 pm »

Mine arrived today :)

Yes, I hadn't identified it but the "could that light be real?" feel of Crewdson is there.

The essayist makes the comment that Leiter shot nudes as though they were street photos... Crewdson shoots the street as though it was in a studio :) But if you can find your own way in that direction, so much the better  :)

Mine is still AWOL but I checked Amazon's delivery stuff and it says the books arrived Palma on Thursday! Have printed that out, and armed with the evidence, will attack the GPO tomorrow.

It might have been intersting if Saul had shot some of his nudes in the street... you know, with lots of blurry taxis and stuff.

;-)

Rob

N80

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 09:25:54 pm »

The first one was like a flashback to 4th grade, summer time, suburbs of Jacksonville. Like a dream.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 06:50:59 am »

" Have printed that out, and armed with the evidence, will attack the GPO tomorrow."

Famous last etc. Turned out that today is a holiday: Dia de la Hispanitat aka Maria de Déu del Pilar.

If it's anything like the GPO hols at Xmas, I may as well start walkiing to Palma now. I never know when holidays may strike: should be able to buy cheap insurance against them.

Those two books had better be good!

;-(

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up