Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle FineArt Bartya & Bartya FB q's  (Read 775 times)

CRFTony

Hahnemuhle FineArt Bartya & Bartya FB q's
« on: October 12, 2016, 02:01:03 pm »

I recently received my sample pack of Hahnemuhle paper and really love the FA Bartya and Bartya FB papers. I'm looking to print 11x14s and 16x20s and have been seeking for a sturdy paper that won't be as prone to warping/wrinkling when hanging on the wall as traditional lustre. Do you feel these papers would hold up to being displayed on the wall without the paper warping as I'm looking to move away from mounting.

Rand47

Re: Hahnemuhle FineArt Bartya & Bartya FB q's
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:32:19 am »

I recently received my sample pack of Hahnemuhle paper and really love the FA Bartya and Bartya FB papers. I'm looking to print 11x14s and 16x20s and have been seeking for a sturdy paper that won't be as prone to warping/wrinkling when hanging on the wall as traditional lustre. Do you feel these papers would hold up to being displayed on the wall without the paper warping as I'm looking to move away from mounting.

I've used these and many other papers and have in my digital darkroom a 4x8' magnetic panel where prints are evaluated/displayed using thumb-tack magnets.  What I've discovered with prints left "hanging/pinned" over time is that any and all papers will react to changes in temperature and humidity levels and will warp/swell and then recede to flatness with fluctuations.  Cotton/rag based papers warp/swell considerably more than RC papers, but all will warp to some degree over time.

The same papers matted but not fully mounted to the backer board (merely artist taped at the top) and under glass do not show the same "distortions" - perhaps because changes in temperature and humidity are both minimized and more gradual.  Not sure how helpful this is re your direct question, but thought I'd offer for general context.  I'd recommend doing a test and "living with it" for a while in your particular display conditions to see what happens.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up