Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

With Red 8K Raw, movie recording surpasses most still cameras

<< < (2/17) > >>

rdonson:
I'm sure it does.

I wonder what that rig he's shooting with costs...

BJL:

--- Quote from: eronald on October 01, 2016, 04:08:44 pm ---Thing is, it does make still photography as easy as cutting one frame out of hundred thousands.

--- End quote ---
When and how well does such frame-gabbing work in practice, given that the exposure times in motion photography are typically around 1/120s for 60fps, and longer for lower frame rates? Naively this would only seem useful for subjects that are moving slowly or not at all. Is panning with the main subject enough to control the blurring?

By the way, that raises a related question: how often can you get true "8K" sharpness in the video presentation when those exposure times are combined with typical levels of subject motion (or camera panning)?  Will the trend towards 8K push us to higher frame rates, so as to control motion blurring?  Is the rolling shutter a savior here?

BernardLanguillier:

--- Quote from: eronald on October 01, 2016, 04:08:44 pm ---Red is obviously using it as an infomercial.

Thing is, it does make still photography as easy as cutting one frame out of hundred thousands.

--- End quote ---

That is if you have an optimum movie shutter speed comparable with what an optimum still shutter speed would have been for the scene, right?

I gather that in most cases those differ, right?

So yes, you can buy an 80,000 US$ video rig to generate average still frames of lower quality than what a Pentax K1 would have achieved with a dedicated photographic intent.

Color me impressed by the relevance! ;)

The very idea, mostly promoted by Canon who designed some of their recent cameras such as the 1Dx MkII around the concept, is mostly relevant for press usage when photographers only need to target what is pretty much the lowest level of photographic quality there is among pro applications. The potential of images quality of 8K video capture (pretty much IMAX level) is IMHO completely incompatible with the level of compromises the double video/still intend imposes.

I do understand that 8K will go down in price in the next 5 years, but I strongly question the practicality when you see the quality of well produced 2K on a high end flat screen TV. I'd rather remove the compression artifacts of 2K than going to 4K or 8K. In my view we are still far from doing 2K well enough to bother with higher resolutions.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald:

--- Quote from: BernardLanguillier on October 01, 2016, 05:54:09 pm ---That is if you have an optimum movie shutter speed comparable with what an optimum still shutter speed would have been for the scene, right?

I gather that in most cases those differ, right?

So yes, you can buy an 80,000 US$ video rig to generate average still frames of lower quality than what a Pentax K1 would have achieved with a dedicated photographic intent.

Color me impressed by the relevance! ;)

The very idea, mostly promoted by Canon who designed some of their recent cameras such as the 1Dx MkII around the concept, is mostly relevant for press usage when photographers only need to target what is pretty much the lowest level of photographic quality there is among pro applications. The potential of images quality of 8K video capture (pretty much IMAX level) is IMHO completely incompatible with the level of compromises the double video/still intend imposes.

I do understand that 8K will go down in price in the next 5 years, but I strongly question the practicality when you see the quality of well produced 2K on a high end flat screen TV. I'd rather remove the compression artifacts of 2K than going to 4K or 8K. In my view we are still far from doing 2K well enough to bother with higher resolutions.ndscape

Cheers,
Bernard

--- End quote ---

Actually the 1DxII has no EVF so you wouldn't want to use it for point and shoot news video.
Now if you set the shutter speed high enough, you can do super-resolution landscape by adding frames, notice how video is always perceptually sharp - and also you can choose exactly the right moment for fashion. This is going to be what your random camera can do in 5 or 6 years so get ready for the future.

Edmund

Bernard ODonovan:

--- Quote from: eronald on October 01, 2016, 07:38:27 pm ---... This is going to be what your random camera can do in 5 or 6 years so get ready for the future.

Edmund

--- End quote ---

The toaster phone market is a tough one:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103462.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version