Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Happy with Vistek  (Read 3546 times)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Not Happy with Vistek
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:14:42 pm »

In Feb I reserved their Canon 300mm 2.8 IS for this coming weekend - Molson Indy in Toronto.  Got a message from them today - "sorry not available, there's a problem with the IS".    I suppose if I believed that, they would have a bridge for me to buy.

FWIW - this is the second time they've welched on renting me that lens, last time the excuse was "it didn't get returned in time from Calgary".

I've tried to turn this to my advantage by asking them what kind of break they'd give an irate customer if I wanted to buy one from them - which I've been planning to do sooner or later.  Particularly with the exchange rate the way it is now, it's a lot more attractive than it was a year ago.  ($5,000 cdn on their website).  

Just received a Kinesis large lens bag for this (nice), so things may work out.

Excuse the rant.

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Not Happy with Vistek
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 02:45:22 pm »

Tim,

I understand the frustrations... I too have experienced the same when I wanted to rent a lens from their Calgary location (I'm in Alberta).

With the exchange I bought a 500mm F4 IS from B&H for about $6,000 CDN (after exchange) compared to the over $7,000 in Canada (it was about $8,000 before recent Canon price drops).

I've rented lens twice before and resolved that I wouldn't do that again and just purchase... if I don't use the lens enough to justify keeping it I can still sell and not lose a lot if I were to consider the times I would have rented anyway.

Kelly

daveman

Not Happy with Vistek
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 10:20:11 pm »

I too have found Vistec Calgary to be expensive, compared to B&H. However I think Canadian retailers are slowly getting the message, as consumer confidence with US mail order has been growing.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Not Happy with Vistek
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 11:20:15 pm »

You have to remember this is Canada. Compared with the US the market here is thin and therefore lacks adequate scale economies and competition (in all of Toronto how many serious professional photographic retailers do we have? and have you ever seen a computer store here to match an average "CompUSA"? Obviously business people don't think more would pay.). The so-called Free Trade Agreement we have with the USA is free at one level but not another. It did much to simplify intra-corporate cross-border transfers of goods and services, but at the level of the consumer, between the Federal Government and the distributors there remain substantial barriers to trade that these Agreements fail to capture so restrictive market practices prevail. This accounts for alot. Still and well, the combination of B&H and UPS is hard to beat - very healthy for this market to be exposed to that kind of competition, but the problems begin up-stream of the retailers with the distribution arrangements. On some items our retailers will have wiggle room to counteract, but for others they are squeezed on margin. In my youth I worked part time for a prominent photographic retailer in downtown Montreal. I remember well what our mark-ups were - about 40% on cameras and lenses. It costed the owner about 10% over cost to pay for the overheads, so the other 30% was split between discounts to customers and profits. On a 30% margin you can do that. These days such margins on much of this kind of equipment are a complete fantasy, so they make-up on other products and services where they are less margin-squeezed and less regulated by their suppliers - that's how it works, and it applies to much else apart from photo gear.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
Not Happy with Vistek
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 11:57:07 am »

I ve asked vistek for a quotation for a Mamyia and sinar MFD system, with wide angle lens, (as they suppose to be distrib in canada for sinar), first I wasn't answered, then after I asked again I was answered to look on US website, for Mam because of a new distrib, to see what the price could be and nothing for sinar or Rollei.
So may be I should go in US the time I'm ready to buy. Because if I don't mind to pay for retailer job, it doesn't make any sens when nothing is done. And that doesn't give any hope regarding the service if I have to face any problem. Or may be it's like Poker, you have to pay to see.
What if I asked to be paid full price for pictures when I just give the client the way to do it by himself.
F... that.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Not Happy with Vistek
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 12:25:53 pm »

David,

No point being angry. If they can't help you, just go elsewhere. With high-end stuff like that where-ever you end-up sourcing it, do take care about warrantee coverage in Canada. Many of these companies protect their local distribution arrangements by making the warrantee only valid in the country where you bought the equipment - this is a hidden trade barrier of the kind I alluded to above.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

yen.gordon

Not Happy with Vistek
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 06:40:37 pm »

David,

No point being angry. If they can't help you, just go elsewhere. With high-end stuff like that where-ever you end-up sourcing it, do take care about warrantee coverage in Canada. Many of these companies protect their local distribution arrangements by making the warrantee only valid in the country where you bought the equipment - this is a hidden trade barrier of the kind I alluded to above.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=101235\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MarkDS,
You are right, Canon does not care where you bought the photo gears, it does provide the warranty, but Nikon Canada only warranty those bought in Canada.
What a shame on Nikon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up