Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

New Sigma lenses - 12-24/4 Art, 500/4 Sport, 85/1.4 Art

<< < (2/6) > >>

Zorki5:

--- Quote from: Hulyss on September 22, 2016, 10:02:00 am ---I think the real third party lens maker is actually tamron, not Sigma anymore.

--- End quote ---

Kind of agree... Sigma definitely changed their strategy. Well, good for them (and for the majority of folks on this forum), but those huge hunks of glass are not my cup of tea, thank you very much.

Tamrons are (thankfully) completely different animals. It is amazing what they pulled with 16-300, for instance: I saw a review where it compared very favorably to Canon's 70-200/2.8 (!) in the latter's range... The only downside is "nuclear" CA in 200-300 range, but hey, that's 200..300 out of 16(!)..300. Bought one for my daughter's 100D, she couldn't be happier...

shadowblade:
Since when did 'third-party' mean 'crap'?

Zeiss is as much a third-party manufacturer as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. They make great lenses. Sigma used to make crap lenses, but now they're making good ones. They're still a third-party manufacturer - just not a low-end one making budget lenses aimed at those who don't want to pony up the cash for high-end gear.

NancyP:
The big question about the 500 f/4 will be the speed and accuracy of autofocus, which is reverse-engineered. The other issue might be obsolescence via incompatibility with future cameras, although Sigma has the option to support updates via their dock.

Paulo Bizarro:
I suppose Sigma still make cheaper all-purpose zooms for the general photo population?

So it is good that they embarked in the high tier with their ART series; almost-Zeiss quality at a fraction of the cost. Or almost Canon L quality again, at a fraction of the cost.

NancyP:
Sure - the "contemporary" line has affordable zooms, including a nice 150-600mm f/variable zoom for about $1,000.00, and many other less weighty and less expensive lenses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version