Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: That's what I call a nice evolution! A square Hasselblad V1D with 75 MP  (Read 7905 times)

hasselbladfan

Unfortunately, it is only a concept at this point, but if reaction is positive, we may see this in a couple of years.

It would make a lot of (old) Hasselblad V shooters happy.

http://www.hasselblad.com/press/media-library/v1d-4116-concept

Hasselblad’s engineers and designers came up with a modular concept with a square format (75MP) inspired by the classic Hasselblad V Camera. One of the fundamental principles behind the design of the V1D is the modular approach. Hasselblad creates a uniquely flexible platform for photographers to set up the camera to suit their specific needs.

hasselbladfan

Re: That's what I call a nice evolution! A square Hasselblad V1D with 75 MP
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 11:08:15 am »

With a 100MP sensor cropped at 40mm x 40mm, still delivering 75 MP.

I need urgently to win the lottery. :)

Bo_Dez

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 12:08:12 pm »

No, that's what you call a concept. ie. believe it if it happens. They stole Fuji's thunder with an early release, but they stole it well. They tried to steal it again with this fake camera.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:21:17 pm »

Hi,

Very little details...

They already have an anniversary version of the X1D, is this more of that Hasselbling stuff?

Best regards
Erik

Unfortunately, it is only a concept at this point, but if reaction is positive, we may see this in a couple of years.

It would make a lot of (old) Hasselblad V shooters happy.

http://www.hasselblad.com/press/media-library/v1d-4116-concept

Hasselblad’s engineers and designers came up with a modular concept with a square format (75MP) inspired by the classic Hasselblad V Camera. One of the fundamental principles behind the design of the V1D is the modular approach. Hasselblad creates a uniquely flexible platform for photographers to set up the camera to suit their specific needs.
Erik Kaffehr

hasselbladfan

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 12:26:30 pm »

I guess we know the basics :

Sony 100 MP sensor cropped to a 40mmm x 40mm (so we know the quality is top)
Electronics from the X1D / H6 (more userfriendly - touch screen)
Design is the Hasselblad 500CM
Lenses are the XCD lenses (so you can use them on both cameras)

All together, nice concept, hope it will be launched one day. :)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 12:38:51 pm »

Cost is cost, and the 100MP cost is the same to Hasselblad, even if they decide to crop it to 75MP, net that makes no sense as you still need to get the same cost as 100MP from the camera. 

Do you guys really want a Square camera that bad, net pay as much as a 645 sensor, get 25% less resolution?  I can't see Hasselblad selling such a concept for a loss just to make a statement.

Maybe there is a "square" Sony or other sensor coming, that is the only way I can see this making financial sense. 

But again, I never got square anyway.  have enough problem with 645.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

hasselbladfan

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 01:50:03 pm »

By the time we see this in-store, the cost of a 100 MP sensor may have become reasonable:

So if you crop it to give "square" photographers their holy grail, what the heck?

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 02:06:59 pm »

Cost is cost, and the 100MP cost is the same to Hasselblad, even if they decide to crop it to 75MP, net that makes no sense as you still need to get the same cost as 100MP from the camera. 

Do you guys really want a Square camera that bad, net pay as much as a 645 sensor, get 25% less resolution?  I can't see Hasselblad selling such a concept for a loss just to make a statement.

Maybe there is a "square" Sony or other sensor coming, that is the only way I can see this making financial sense. 

Paul C

That's because 645 ain't square.

;-)

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 03:06:02 pm »

Hi,

Since I have been shooting the Hasselblad near square crops get more frequent. That said, I don't care that much for formats. I crop to subjects.

Throwing away sensor area makes zero sense for me. But this is just a concept, it will not be around for 2-3 years. Who nows what sensors are around in 2-3 years?

But, in my opinion it may be a just a bling product. Any features to make it more useful?

Hasselblad needs to decide if they design tools for the demanding photographer or blingy stuff, hand made in Sweden of Japanese components.

Best regards
Erik

Paul C
Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 07:14:04 pm »

Since I have been shooting the Hasselblad near square crops get more frequent. That said, I don't care that much for formats. I crop to subjects.

Throwing away sensor area makes zero sense for me. But this is just a concept, it will not be around for 2-3 years. Who nows what sensors are around in 2-3 years?

But, in my opinion it may be a just a bling product. Any features to make it more useful?

Erik,

I happen to strongly disagree.

Square sensors have been a major requirements from MF photographers since moving to digital, there is a real market for this and these is a significant body of photographic work done in square format. Significant in quality and numbers.

That this sensor would be a cropped version of the current 100mp part is anybody's guess.

Now, it is obvious that this is a trump card aimed at conveying the message that the X1D lenses are a sound investment since they will also be usable on other future Hassy bodies... compared to Fuji lenses of course. ;)

In the end the market reaction will dictate what happens from now, and it will come from people who have been using the V system, not as an opportunity to enter MF at low(er) cost like you did (no issues with that of course), but because they have loved the square format and appreciate its artistic value and impact on shooting approach.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:07:36 pm by BernardLanguillier »

BJL

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 09:08:04 pm »

Bernard, no matter how much some people want to work in square format, so long as the sensor used is 4:3 shape, what advantage is there to imposing a mandatory crop to 3/4 of the sensor area versus having a 1:1 crop mode but also a mode that uses all of the sensor? If desired, add some fancy electronic viewfinder masking so that only the square composition is visible when that mode is in use.

A "square only" camera is only of practical value of either the sensor is square, or when using film, where to get the same size of square image from an "oblong frame" camera would waste film, as in using 6x7 format and then cropping to 6x6.

Theodoros

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 10:00:30 pm »

On a mirrorless (like on the X1D), one may use whatever aspect ratio sensor as he wishes... especially if it is a leaf shutter based system (where one doesn't have to adapt the focal plane shutter to the sensor's aspect ratio... Therefore it would be far easier to integrate a 37x37 (or so) sensor on the X1D than realise a concept exercise on a mirrorbox camera... It wouldn't need a new lens series either...  ;)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 10:10:20 pm »

Bernard, no matter how much some people want to work in square format, so long as the sensor used is 4:3 shape, what advantage is there to imposing a mandatory crop to 3/4 of the sensor area versus having a 1:1 crop mode but also a mode that uses all of the sensor? If desired, add some fancy electronic viewfinder masking so that only the square composition is visible when that mode is in use.

A "square only" camera is only of practical value of either the sensor is square, or when using film, where to get the same size of square image from an "oblong frame" camera would waste film, as in using 6x7 format and then cropping to 6x6.

Actually, if a rectangular sensor happens to have one defect which is strongly offcenter (ie close to the edge) as measured on the long axis, one can recast it as a square sensor by ignoring the data of that "wing" and use it anyway. I'm sure someone here who is good with numbers or pictures or whatever we journalists don't understand can work it out.
In other words, there is probably a treasure trove of fabricated defective sensors sitting there at Sony, waiting to be sold for peanuts as "square cameras" rather than as "engineering quality" sensors. P1 used the same trick, I believe in bygone days.

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:14:34 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 02:32:36 am »

Bernard, no matter how much some people want to work in square format, so long as the sensor used is 4:3 shape, what advantage is there to imposing a mandatory crop to 3/4 of the sensor area versus having a 1:1 crop mode but also a mode that uses all of the sensor?

Little besides the one mentioned just above, but why are we assuming there isn't going to be a square sensor?

We assumed for years that there would never be a MF CMOS because Sony would never ever be interested in the kind of volumes MF were associated to, now we have 2 or different sizes, the larger one bound to sell in the low thousands of units per year.

Cheers,
Bernard

danord

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 09:45:51 am »

The "cropping" of the sensor may have to do with the size of the image-circle of the lens. Hasselblad appears to work with the new x-series of lenses here. Anyone know how large sensor these cover? Would they cover the rectangular Version of the full-frame sensor?

Cheers,

Dag Ole

Theodoros

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 05:49:01 pm »

"Hasselblad appears to work with the new x-series of lenses here...."

x-series of lenses on a design with mirrorbox that has much longer mounting distance?   :o :o  ??? :'(

BJL

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 07:15:09 pm »

Actually, if a rectangular sensor happens to have one defect which is strongly offcenter (ie close to the edge) as measured on the long axis, one can recast it as a square sensor by ignoring the data of that "wing" and use it anyway.

Edmund: that's an intriguing idea: get "square sensors" relatively cheap with no new sensor design or production commitments, by using partially defective 4:3 sensors where the fatal defects are only in the one quarter of the sensor that is not used.

. . . why are we assuming there isn't going to be a square sensor?

Bernard: I was responding to the proposal in most of this thread that this camera would use the existing 100MP 4:3 shaped Sony sensor, but always cropping to a square from it.

As to why there would not instead be a dedicated square sensor; for the same reasons that have been rehashed in innumerable threads about "why not a square format digital camera?": not nearly enough demand.  And no, posts from many dozens of square format enthusiasts is not nearly sufficient evidence of commercially adequate demand.  Instead, the total absence of square format sensors since the 36x36mm Kodak CCDs – even while the square format Rollei-based system was still around – is one big hint of low demand; the earlier clear move away from square formats back in the film era (when of course "square format chemical sensors" were readily available) is another.

By the way, the "ground glass VF" option illustrated suggests that this CAD fantasy is meant to have a reflex mirror; if so, X1D lenses would not be usable.  But maybe that top-down VF is just part of the retro styling (optional LCD on top) for what is meant to be mirrorless.

Theodoros

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 07:27:14 pm »

....But maybe that top-down VF is just part of the retro styling (optional LCD on top) for what is meant to be mirrorless....

Why then not just use the "square" sensor on an X1D? ...no new lenses required, no "lifestyle" exercise... just another version of the X1D which if it fails, "no big deal"... Notice that everybody is talking about the square sensor here... none on the project. ...but the square sensor can always be integrated on the current X1D...

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 12:48:13 am »

This camera is getting lots of attention under glass.  Part of what Perry shared with me a while back about getting back to roots.  I have a meeting with Perry on Friday and should know a lot more than.  It's a strange show here at Photokina.  Large sensor cameras are getting the new and attention.  Nikon has nothing of serious interest.  They already announced their cameras.  The new Olympus looks interesting even as a m3/4. The Fuji booth which is huge is filled to capacity.  We are working on a report so stay tuned.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

NickT

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 12:57:41 am »

Thanks Kevin.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up