Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One P25. tethered  (Read 3170 times)

Allister

Phase One P25. tethered
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:35:30 am »

Hello,
I am just dipping my toe in the water as regards MF and have  a Hasselblad H2 with a Phase One P25 back - I know, all ancient stuff!
I'm thoroughly enjoying using the gear and, especially enjoying, the image quality.
I would like to try using the P25 tethered but cannot find much information on it, because of the archaic equipment I'm using, presumably.
I will be using Capture One Pro 9 but knowing what hardware to use is my difficulty.
So, what sort of cable do I need to connect the P25 to a computer and which laptops have the necessary port to take the cable?
My embarrassed apologies for posting such a primitive request!

Endeavour

Re: Phase One P25. tethered
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:06:17 am »

firstly, stop apologizing, it's only endearing when Hugh Grant does it in the rain

secondly, I shoot with a P30+ on a Hasselblad H1 and I too had to dig around for tethering info.

In the end, I just went for a used Macbook pro (2011 13" non retina) which has been great. I got a thunderbolt - firewire cable and hooked it up to Capture One.
I'd never used a mac before but buying a decent windows laptop with firewire was quite tricky. The mac was cheap, I got it online from a poor student looking to sell quickly.
I don't think its possible to power the back from this setup though (unless I'm mistaken) so you'll still need to have the battery powering the back whilst tethered

If you want live view in capture one. I think you have to set your hassy shutter to T mode, then connect up the firewire. Then when you press the shutter you'll get a live view in Capture One
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:46:21 am by lotusEsp »

Allister

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 11:16:21 am »

First, I can knock spots of him with my shy smile and little boy helplessness!
Thank you very much for the information, it will be a help, I'm sure. I had read about the difficulty finding a windows compatibility.
I'm going into Manchester (England) to see if there are any pitiable students with sunken cheeks.
Regards.

Ray R

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:32:35 pm »

I use a P45 with a Mac air 13inch Retina. (Refurbished from Apple).

I don't think you will get live view with the P25 (I can't with the P45, although I hope someone will come along and say you can). I use a thunderbolt to firewire adapter to the firewire cable that came with the back. I think my setup will power the back, but there was some discussion (On LuLa) as to whether the smaller Mac's would power the backs.

Years ago I did try a small windows laptop with a PCMIA to Firewire but I couldn't get it to work and sent the laptop back. I also had a Windows laptop with Firewire which worked with the back.

I use Capture One.
You cannot control the camera, just the settings of he back, ISO and WB.

What you get is the ability to see your image on a large screen, and check focus, composition and exposure. Just be aware that there is a panel which allows you to copy the settings from your last image into the next capture. This means that if you have corrected any under/over exposure in the image it is possible to carry that over to the next capture. i.e. you could be under exposing by a stop and the software will correct it. Meaning that you will loose quality.

This may help
http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO7/Capture/Tethered-Shooting.aspx

george2787

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 05:56:32 pm »

You will need a firewire 400 to 800 cable and a computer that has firewire 800, a used macbook pro from 2010 or later should be ok with minimum upgrade if needed (8gb RAM and a 250gb ssd and good to go)

Endeavour

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:59:50 pm »

with my P30+ I can control the camera from capture one or on the body itself.

Allister

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 09:26:52 am »

My thanks to you all for your time and valuable information.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 10:57:59 am »

I would also browse the Capture integration site... they have a very good blog post about this.  Ideally, you will need the 400 --> 800 firewire cable to then go to thunderbolt.  However, I also use a power stripper in place as well. (can be had from Capture too)  This removes power going from the computer's thunderbolt port to the camera.  Thunderbolt cannot power the back properly.  You will get the back misbehaving when you least need it to.  And this sucks when you have clients staring at the screen wondering why you can't make another shot.  You can get an intermediary power supply that ties in to the firewire cables to provide AC power for long tethered shoots.  I found that was flaky sometimes too.  Stripping away the power and just having the data communication makes the back rock solid over thunderbolt.  I just use multiple batteries now.  I find two batteries usually get me through the day just fine.  Three for a heavy, 8 - 12 hour shoot. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

sbernthal

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 10:47:11 am »

You need a 400-400 or 400-800 firewire cable.
The 400 side goes into the back.
The other side goes into your computer.
It doesn't have to be a Mac or Macbook.
Any desktop Windows machine can be fitted with a Firewire 400/800 PCI card.
If you want a laptop, then either an old Macbook with built in Firewire 400/800, or a Windows laptop with expressCard port.
I was able to get a Windows laptop with an EpressCard port recently for $200 to connect to a P20 back, and it works fine.
Here's one for $350:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E5420M-Laptop-4GB-250GB-Express-Card-Windows-7-Professional-/222216956824
Pages: [1]   Go Up