Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Dismal calibration between imac and Epson P800

<< < (2/4) > >>

flappinfish:
thanks everyone for your input. I was afraid that the imac monitor was probably the culprit.

True our print viewing is poor, no GTI box just a sunny bedroom, yet I was still surprised by our lack of shadow detail compared to the numbers on screen (RGB 30-60 range) looks blocked

It sounds like though no one is calling the P800 poor in the shadow details...?  I dont have the printed calibration target in front of me but I'm going to review it again because I thought my greyscale ramp looked blocked up in the shadows.

I think today we will start with dropping monitor luminance down to about 80 and recalibrating and see how it goes

graeme:
I use a retina iMac & am pretty pleased with the print to screen match I get. I'm sure an Adobe RGB display would be better but I'm surprised that the print to screen match you're getting is 'dismal'.

Are the paper profiles that you're using good?

digitaldog:

--- Quote from: flappinfish on August 28, 2016, 01:40:46 pm ---thanks everyone for your input. I was afraid that the imac monitor was probably the culprit.

--- End quote ---
Probably not. The calibration of the display, probably.

Why are my prints too dark?
A video update to a written piece on subject from 2013
In this 24 minute video, I'll cover:
Are your prints really too dark?
Display calibration and WYSIWYG
Proper print viewing conditions
Trouble shooting to get a match
Avoiding kludges that don't solve the problem

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/Why_are_my_prints_too_dark.mp4
Low resolution: https://youtu.be/iS6sjZmxjY4

N80:
No expert here. Novice printer in fact. But, in my short experience with my new iMac I don't see any reason to suspect that it is the de facto culprit here. I'm making prints that I'm perfectly happy with using mine. No reason to expect that the printer is the de facto culprit either.

And it sounds like from what you are seeing this is not just an issue of your print viewing environment either.

So it seems you need to look at your calibration hardware and/or technique. I know that in these forums the Spyder is not a favorite. I'm not qualified to render an opinion there. But, I do seem to recall that a number of calibration systems are not designed to work with monitors like the 5K Retina. I don't know why. But, you may want to check the specs on the Spyder and see what the manufacturer says about using it with this display. I know that X-Rite claims that their latest hardware is capable of calibrating an iMac Retina.

digitaldog:

--- Quote from: N80 on August 28, 2016, 03:54:36 pm ---But, in my short experience with my new iMac I don't see any reason to suspect that it is the de facto culprit here.

--- End quote ---
It's not. Is it best in class? No. Can you pay more and get a better reference display system with more control over calibration? Yes. Can one calibrate the iMac and get a good print to display match? Sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version