Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hiking backpacks  (Read 4157 times)

Endeavour

hiking backpacks
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:28:40 am »

when I do landscape & particularly wildlife, I end up looking like a pack mule, or have my kids play buck-a-roo layering on bags and equipment before I head off out into the wilderness to shoot
There has to be a better way. My current camera bags are great for single scenarios; ie, 2 dlsr bodies and a couple of lenses, or my large format camera and film holders & tripod strapped to the back etc.

But on longer/more remote locations I need to take my portable hide/folding camp chair. and this gets really cumbersome if I want to camp out over night and take both some wildlife AND landscape shots

Does anyone have any recommendations for larger bags/packs to trek over hills? I'd rather not invest in a sherpa to carry my gear and the wife would prefer to stay in bed rather than hiking up the side of a mountain in the darkness.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: hiking backpacks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:41:43 am »

I think this depends how much functionality you want.  If you need to work out of the bag, it is one set of tradeoffs compared to just need to haul gear ergonomically and comfortably on your back over distance. 

If you don't need to have quick access to gear...
Aside from the current drama at the company, the larger F-stop gear bags are pretty nice and offer access to camera gear through their back.  They are comfortable and do a good job suspending weight. 
Otherwise, I would look into their modular cubes and use those in a traditional suspended camping/hiking backpack.  Something purpose built truly hauling stuff through the wilderness. 

Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Herbc

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:07:54 am »

Dunno about how much you can carry on them, but ThinkTanks have always been great for adding on tripod, etc and very efficient. 8)

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:45:48 am »

Assuming you are planning on 5 to 10 miles hike with 25 pounds of gear and pack, I would go with the f-stop if you happen to fit and find the harness comfortable, otherwise get a big day pack, small overnight pack, or expedition pack as needed, with a wide panel access. Consider tactical-style bags with inch-wide outside strapping (Molle) if you like to hang lens cases all over the place. A pack with top access only is going to be a PITA. I have a torso length of 14.5 inches, that second option has been right for me for longer hauling.

My personal options have been women's packs, Osprey Ariel 55 for weekend camp with camera, Gregory Jade 38 for day hike with ample room for extra clothing, etc. For full size tripods I use the f-stop tripod bag (long stuff sac with daisy chain and d rings) strapped onto the bags. I use f-stop inserts.

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 12:31:00 pm »

Right now I am experimenting with just dropping my smallish camera backpack and full size tripod inside am REI full size ultralight internal frame backpack.  Room in the REI pack for other stuff (clothing, weather gear) plus attachment points on the outside of the bag.  Plus the proper hip belt is great if the loads get heavy.  Weight penalty of the frame pack is negligible.  Have not actually put it to the full test yet though.

Endeavour

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 01:57:46 pm »

thanks

I'm pretty wary of the F-Stop bags. They might be nice, but I dont want to be laying out $300-$400 on something upfront without the confidence it will ever arrive

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 05:09:33 pm »

Talk to them. Communication is the most important thing. ( there are some good people still there )

In Germany we have the option to buy some of their bags from different retailers. So one can check what is actually in stock.

I know the drama I have experienced it myself, however I stand by their backpacks. They work great and they offer all sizes. Just don't fill there larger once up to the max, you won't carry it anywhere. I have a tilopa and if I pack in everything ( XF / 4 lenses / 2 digital bags / Arca camera  and lenses I'm easily at 25kg....

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Endeavour

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 05:23:29 pm »

...however I stand by their backpacks.

I'm not sure that's how they work

sorry, couldnt resist :)

jng

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 11:27:37 pm »

I too am a fan of the f-stop packs and ICU's. If you're worried about the company fulfilling an order (not entirely unreasonable), as mentioned above an alternative is to find a trusted dealer who carries their products, find out whether they have what you want in stock, and order from their inventory.

John

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 12:35:20 am »

It seems like your wife has the right idea.

kamma1

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 07:41:36 am »

I have a serious spine injury, and find Aarn Balance backpacks indispensable and extremely comfortable for overnight hiking.  As a side benefit, the front pockets work well for holding a FF DSLR and a couple of lenses within easy reach, since that's where you want the heavier stuff anyway. 

shadowblade

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 12:30:36 pm »

External frame pack.

You can attach lens cases, tripods, Pelican cases and anything else you like to it, and still have room to attach bags, bedrolls, camping gear and anything else. Also, they're more comfortable than internal frame packs - they leave a lot of room between the pack and your back, so heat and seat don't get trapped in the same way as with a normal backpack.

NancyP

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 07:43:59 pm »

I suppose the only caveat about external frame packs is that they aren't the world's best for bushwhacking (stuff sticking out too much and getting caught) and scrambling (center of gravity farther from body than internal frame pack). But if you are walking on a decent path with solid footing, these are time tested and potentially quite cheap. Kelty makes the Boy Scout widely-adjustable-harness external frame pack, works for small adults. Full size Keltys are available. There must be a million used ones around. And then there are the expensive tactical / hunter packs meant to be capable of 100 pound or more loads...

shadowblade

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 06:32:04 am »

I suppose the only caveat about external frame packs is that they aren't the world's best for bushwhacking (stuff sticking out too much and getting caught) and scrambling (center of gravity farther from body than internal frame pack). But if you are walking on a decent path with solid footing, these are time tested and potentially quite cheap. Kelty makes the Boy Scout widely-adjustable-harness external frame pack, works for small adults. Full size Keltys are available. There must be a million used ones around. And then there are the expensive tactical / hunter packs meant to be capable of 100 pound or more loads...

Depends on the length of the frame. Classic ones stick out too much. But you can get shorter ones which don't stick out so much on the top and bottom and are good for going through dense bush or jungles, plus you can wrap the whole setup in a plastic cover to reduce snagging.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 08:43:55 am »

I would own two Ospray Packs.  I mostly use my Aether 85L that I used to carry 18 days worth of food.  I find this packs to be very comfortable and it handles small loads as well.  I would forget the external frame. 

Colorado David

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 10:37:53 am »

I have a number of photo backpacks from small to large.  I have a Kelty external frame pack I bought in 1975 that still out-performs many internal frame packs. I have a couple of internal frame packs that were given to me by the manufacturers. I carried one of these on a multi-day trip to Hart Mountain National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon. It was painful to carry. The pack's empty weight was too high and carrying my camping gear, food, and camera gear was brutal. I was wishing I'd used the old Kelty.

kamma1

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 07:23:02 am »

I'd agree that external frame packs are cooler, but the balance of the Aarn packs is far superior, and with the freedom to move the back and hips independently of the load they are much more comfortable.  I often don't even bother to take off the pack when I pause for a while.  They are in a different league from ordinary backpacks. 

SZRitter

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 10:51:20 am »

I would own two Ospray Packs.  I mostly use my Aether 85L that I used to carry 18 days worth of food.  I find this packs to be very comfortable and it handles small loads as well.  I would forget the external frame.

I finally started backpacking this year, and I'm running this same pack. Works well, and I mounted my camera and lens in a holster style bag on my hip belt. Used a couple of small (think the keychain fake ones) carabiners to attach it. I didn't carry a tripod, but if you aren't using the sleeping pad loops at the bottom, that would be a good place to carry one.

That said, apparently my wife and I overpack, need to figure out how to carry less stuff (packs were about 30lbs each with water for overnight trips).

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 11:07:18 am »

Currently there are a number of new Fstop items available through Ebay  - including a Satori which is one of the packs I use. Link below is listing as of 9/19. The seller MLTech comes up with some new product every month or so - it's worth it to keep watching. "Zpacks cuben" fiber stuff sacks and other of their products are a way to keep weight down especially when using DSLR gear.

undefined
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

NancyP

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 12:20:13 pm »

I recommend the f-stop tripod bag if you carry a large tripod and don't like the native tie-down options.  The bag is a long non-padded roll-top bag with a length of daisy chain and D rings - lots of ways to attach to your pack. It is quite sturdy, and for the ounce counters, it is 7 or 8 oz, being made of tough nylon pack material, not rip-stop.

I also recommend Cotton Carrier vest system for keeping camera and long-ish lens (up to 10 inches long lens, up to 6 or 7 pounds lens plus camera weight) available for instant deployment while leaving hands available for hiking poles, scrambles, etc. Drop poles, grab camera, ready to shoot in 5 sec. The vest fits well under backpacks. Sternum strap of pack may need to be adjusted upwards for some people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up