Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best fall color in Portland Oregon area is when . . . ?  (Read 1734 times)

Markf11

Best fall color in Portland Oregon area is when . . . ?
« on: August 12, 2016, 04:12:48 pm »

Subject line says it.  Looking for best fall color with a eye towards the Portland Japanese Gardens, Columbia River Gorge and other areas.

All advice greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:29:03 pm by Markf11 »

grilla

• http://thecolorblindphotographer.net
Re: Best fall color in Portland Oregon area is when . . . ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:44:08 am »

Call the Fall Foliage Hotline at 800-547-5445. Typically you would be looking at the first week in October but it can vary widely. I live in Portland and hope you get the chance to visit. There are many amazing opportunities.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:24:57 am »

Call the Fall Foliage Hotline at 800-547-5445. Typically you would be looking at the first week in October but it can vary widely. I live in Portland and hope you get the chance to visit. There are many amazing opportunities.
You live in Portland?  My experience with trying to shoot the famous tree there for fall colors is vastly different.  I've never heard of that maple turning anywhere near the first part of October.  It varies quite a bit, but it's more like late Oct/early november.  I was there in Oct of 2013, showed up on the 25th, and was one day late.  I still got a nice shot, but  rain from the day before had knocked most of the leaves off of the famous Japanese Maple. It was prime for 2 or 3 days before that, so guessing the 21-24th.   So the next year I headed down a few days earlier, and the tree had barely started to change ... it didn't peak until into November.  Friend of mine went that same year in early november and got some nice shots of the tree. 

Going to try it again this year, but my plan is to be very flexible and head there after I know the tree is changing and spend enough time to hit the Japanese Gardens a couple of times with a several day interval between, somewhere between Oct 22 and November 3 or 4th.

I don't know if those up the canyons and through the gorge get amazing with colors, because I think some stay green year round?  But there are definitely some yellows intermingled.  attached 3 shots, first is the maple on 10/25/13, second is the maple on 10/21/2014 (and it didn't peak until Nov that year).  Third is Metlako Falls also on the 10/21/2014.  I assume there would have been more yellows closer to when the maple also peaked in early Nov. that year.

Arlen

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:55:12 pm »

It varies of course from year to year--and with altitude. A few hundred feet in elevation can make a big difference. That being said, some trees in the Willamette Valley (of which Portland is at the north end) and nearby uplands (Cascades and Coast Range) are turning now, but I agree with Wayne that the best, most widespread color tends to occur towards the end of October. Lots of areas in the mountains are always green (fir trees), but the vine maple in particular develops lots of color and looks nice interspersed within.
Pages: [1]   Go Up