Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Family Crabbing  (Read 708 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Family Crabbing
« on: August 17, 2016, 03:10:58 pm »

Try this... Have a look at the photo before reading below.

On our last full day in England, last week, our friends took us to a seaside village called Brightlingsea. Lovely place, although not a Brighton by any stretch - in fact, I think that is its appeal. What I always find interesting, though, is how connected to the sea people are, often in the simplest of ways. For example, as in may seaside locales, there are hundreds of beach huts and people are quite happy to sit outside them, enjoying the sunshine and the sea breeze.

In this photo, an extended family with members of all ages, is enjoying an afternoon of crabbing: dipping small net bags of cut sausage (or whatever) on a fishing line over the sea wall and pulling up crabs by the dozen. They were having a grand old time doing it and I couldn't help but want to capture this simple, harmless and fun-filled moment on a fine summer afternoon.

I'm not sure the photo conveys all that, but it is a great memory nonetheless. Let me know if your response to the photo si similar to what I had intended. If so, great. If not, well, I guess I'll keep trying.

Enjoy. C&C&Q welcome.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Family Crabbing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 03:55:39 pm »

I'm sure it's a joy for you to look at, Terry, since you were there and you know what's going on. I can read what you've written, then look at the picture and feel some of the family warmth. When I first looked at the picture, without reading the extended caption I wondered what was going on. But standing alone the picture simply doesn't radiate the warmth I know is in it, or tell me what's going on. I have a treasure trove of pictures like this that warm me every time I look at them, but I know they'd fall flat for someone who wasn't there. My pictures from Southeast Asia are like that. Those years were full of emotionally intense experiences, and the emotion is there in my pictures -- for me. But not for anyone else.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

drmike

• On Flickr:
Re: Family Crabbing
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 03:54:39 am »

I agree with Russ who has expressed it far better than I ever could.
Pages: [1]   Go Up