Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing: Added Order vs. Capture Time  (Read 4031 times)

mbaginy

Importing: Added Order vs. Capture Time
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:52:52 am »

When importing files into LR CC, I try to select a sorting by capture time.  I say try because often (not always) upon import, LR will switch to added order.  I haven't a clue what added order means but it doesn't seem to be the order in which the images were taken, because that would be capture time.  Right?

While this isn't the end of the world, I do find it odd.  Can anyone enlighten me what I might be doing wrong?  I won't bet my life on it, but I believe earlier versions of LR didn't show this phenomenon.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Importing: Added Order vs. Capture Time
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:17:34 am »

When importing files into LR CC, I try to select a sorting by capture time.  I say try because often (not always) upon import, LR will switch to added order.  I haven't a clue what added order means but it doesn't seem to be the order in which the images were taken, because that would be capture time.  Right?

While this isn't the end of the world, I do find it odd.  Can anyone enlighten me what I might be doing wrong?  I won't bet my life on it, but I believe earlier versions of LR didn't show this phenomenon.

"Added time" is the time at which the images were added to LR's catalogue, I think. The majority of the time that will be the same as capture time because they're imported in the order they appear on the card; but if, for example, you capture a shoot's images on two cards and import those on the second one first, you'll see a difference.

I don't know why it should change spontaneously, though.

Jeremy

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 03:29:25 pm »

"Added time" is the time at which the images were added to LR's catalogue, I think. The majority of the time that will be the same as capture time...
Yeah, Jeremy, that was my reasoning too.  So then when I import from one shoot with one camera, on one card, from one day, the order of images should be identical (with added order and capture time).  But they aren't.  They are in the order I've taken them when Capture Time is selected but they're in no recognisable order with Added Time.

Really odd and I haven't found any reasoning behind LR switching the criteria upon pressing import.  Sometimes that happens, other times it doesn't.  I'm trying to check if that happens with certain SD cards or when using a certain camera.  Any consistency would be (maybe) more reassuring.  But it isn't really a big deal, just strange.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:15:01 am by Mike D. B. »

leuallen

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 04:44:27 pm »

Further,capture time is screwed up, at least on my computer. It is actually the edit time if you go to PS. Tics me off. I was editing this morning and every time I worked on a file in PS, when it came back to LR it was at the bottom of the pile instead of the place it originally was. I checked and Capture Time was in effect.

Larry

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 11:29:24 pm »

So the when I import from one shoot with one camera, on one card, from one day, the order of images should be identical (with added order and capture time).  But they aren't.  They are in the order I've taken them when Capture Time is selected but they're in no recognisable order with Added Time.

There is no guarantee that the added order and capture time will be the same. During import there might be parallel threads and as soon as a file is processed the record is stored in the database along a timestamp. Moreover (it may not be your case) if you don't format your card every time, or if you delete images before importing, there is no guarantee that the actual files will reside in contiguous sectors in the media.

On the other hand, the fact that LR switches the criteria looks like a bug or an issue with the preferences.

Lustrous

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 04:45:12 am »

"Added Order" should not appear before images have been imported!
Just where is the OP seeing the option to select "Added Order" when importing?

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 06:41:15 am »

The problem seems to be that there are 2 places where you can select order.  In the import window there is a sort order drop down at bottom right which defaults to file name - I think this affects the order of thumbnails in the import window.  Second there is a sort order drop down in the library module which, in my case, defaults to added order.  It is this latter that sometimes gives a very strange order, it's easy enough to select file name or added order and re-sort. However you can change the default quite easily - just go to menu item View/Sort and select the default you want.

mlewis

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 10:08:18 am »

When I import images into LR the library view on import is 'Recently Added'. This defaults to added order.  If I actually go to the folder the images are actually in everything is sorted by capture time.

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 10:22:38 am »

I've just imported some images.  I select Capture Time in the import dialog.  The import begins and the (imported) images are shown in Added Order.  I then have to manually select Capture Time to show them in proper capture sequence.

The image sequence shown (upon import) in Added Order doesn't make sense to me - it's not in the order the images were added to the SD card (sequence in which the images were photographed).  The order seems arbitrary.

By the way, following import, I always format the SD card in the camera.  I never delete an image via the camera.  In fact, I usually don't even view images on my SD card when shooting with my Fujifilm cameras.  Only when using my Canons, do I ever view an image (to check the histogram).

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 12:00:09 pm »

Mike, I gave up on that myself.  I simply sort by filename as that is indicative of a time sequence as well.
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 12:36:19 pm »

Yeah Ron, I'll follow that same path.  I find some current LR features odd, which wasn't the case previously.  So I at times wondered, if I had inadvertently messed up with settings.  Wouldn't have been the first time for me.

Thanks guys, for your comments!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 12:51:48 pm »

There is no guarantee that the added order and capture time will be the same. During import there might be parallel threads and as soon as a file is processed the record is stored in the database along a timestamp. Moreover (it may not be your case) if you don't format your card every time, or if you delete images before importing, there is no guarantee that the actual files will reside in contiguous sectors in the media.

Fair point about the threads. I'd not considered that in my earlier answer: my observation has been that import order (and hence "added order") follows capture order on the particular card pretty religiously.

I don't see how sector usage can be relevant.

Jeremy

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 03:00:57 pm »

I don't see how sector usage can be relevant.
Jeremy

It may or not be relevant. When importing in LR form a memory card, you are either copying or moving (which is copy + delete) to a new location. This copy could be by blocks (like teracopy) or by file (like explorer) but I don't know for sure. Fragmentation of the destination could play a role here too. I also don't know the exact sequence of tasks: is the image added to the catalog after being copied to destination and verified or just after reading from the memory card (this would be risky in my book)?

When I import images from a card, they appear in groups in the Library, not one by one, which leads me to think that there are multiple threads, increasing the odds that images may be added in a different sequence than capture time.

In any case, my point is that it is completely normal if added time is in a different sequence than capture time. For me, added time makes sense in large periods, not for individual imports.

pluton

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 05:09:52 pm »

In the import window there is a sort order drop down at bottom right which defaults to file name - I think this affects the order of thumbnails in the import window.
Dave, if you get the chance, would you screen shot this 'sort order drop down' in the Import Module? I can't find it on my copy of Lightroom 6.6.1.  Thanks...-Keith B.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 04:03:55 pm »

Same here, LR 6.6.1 always displays images after import in added order. has not been that before as far as I know. at least I have never had to go and nmanually select capture time before.
beats me, but this is one of the minor bugs for me.
bigger for me is when I selcet "F" to display an image full screen and then zoom in it takes about 12 seconds to zoom in, although I have created 1:1 previews, but when I zoom back out it displays the image blurry...
but only on my retina MBpro, not on my other Mac.
weird

cheers
Z
Pages: [1]   Go Up