Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last light  (Read 6218 times)

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Last light
« on: July 20, 2006, 04:12:00 pm »

The day before yesterday I finally had some time to go out to take som pictures. The
weather was fine and I took my equipment with me and bicycled about 5km along som
closed dirtroads in the woods.

I was setting up my 20D on the tripod and took a testshot to check the exposure, and
when I walked back to the bag to get some filters the ground shiftet and the whole ting
tok a dive into the water right in fron of the twigs in this picture (the test shot).

[attachment=833:attachment]

What bugs me most is not that I managed to kill the camera, but that this was the first
time in a while that I had time to be out taking pictures, and I was sitting there without a
camera and the lighting was perfect.  

So I think I'll buy myself a 5D tomorrown and go back to FF shooting, I have missed the
viewfinder in my old EOS 1.  My plan up to now was to wait and see what Canon comes
out with in september, but a new 1Ds MkIII is probably going to be more expensive than
I'm willing to pay anyway.  

So my advise is: make sure the ground under the tripod is firm, don't asume it is
just becaus it feels that way. No more placing a tripod on grass for me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 04:12:57 pm by ronnynil »
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

jani

• Øyet
Last light
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 05:38:51 pm »

The day before yesterday I finally had some time to go out to take som pictures. The
weather was fine and I took my equipment with me and bicycled about 5km along som
closed dirtroads in the woods.
I've been pondering a similar trip for a few weeks now, and if I don't make it soon, summer'll be gone, and we can't do those sunset exposures at 10 pm anymore.

I was setting up my 20D on the tripod and took a testshot to check the exposure, and
when I walked back to the bag to get some filters the ground shiftet and the whole ting
tok a dive into the water right in fron of the twigs in this picture (the test shot).
Ouch!

My sympathies!

What bugs me most is not that I managed to kill the camera, but that this was the first
time in a while that I had time to be out taking pictures, and I was sitting there without a
camera and the lighting was perfect.   

So I think I'll buy myself a 5D tomorrown and go back to FF shooting, I have missed the
viewfinder in my old EOS 1.  My plan up to now was to wait and see what Canon comes
out with in september, but a new 1Ds MkIII is probably going to be more expensive than
I'm willing to pay anyway.   
Oh, you don't know that for sure!

You could also consider a 1D MkII (N); the viewfinder is lovely, you know the feel from your EOS 1, and while it's not completely FF 135, it's still so close that it often doesn't matter. Even a used 1D MkII is a very, very good camera; you'll love the autofocus accuracy and speed.

I have pretty much decided to go that route, but I'll wait until after Photokina, to see if Canon does launch a spectactular new model to send the used marked prices down. And maybe I have accumulated enough money to buy the new model of whatever by then!

So my advise is: make sure the ground under the tripod is firm, don't asume it is
just becaus it feels that way. No more placing a tripod on grass for me.
I've tried to remember to lean a bit on the tripod when settling it, just to make sure, but maybe that's not good enough either.

Fortunately, I've got insurance on my equipment.

Unfortunately, insurance is expensivish.
Jan

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Last light
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 06:08:19 pm »

You could also consider a 1D MkII (N); the viewfinder is lovely, you know the feel from your EOS 1, and while it's not completely FF 135, it's still so close that it often doesn't matter. Even a used 1D MkII is a very, very good camera; you'll love the autofocus accuracy and speed.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 1D MkII in the first place (before the 20D). But today I'm tempted by the image quality of the 5D, but i much prefer a 1-body with a 100% viewfinder and fast AF...not an easy chooise...

Fortunately, I've got insurance on my equipment.

Unfortunately, insurance is expensivish.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm insured, but I was hoping to keep the 20D as a number 2 body if I bought a new body, and as you say, now is not the rigth time to buy a new camera.
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

francois

Last light
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 02:50:08 am »

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 1D MkII in the first place (before the 20D). But today I'm tempted by the image quality of the 5D, but i much prefer a 1-body with a 100% viewfinder and fast AF...not an easy chooise
If a 1Ds Mk III is indeed anounced at the Photokina you might find some discounts on 1Ds MkII  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:51:38 am by francois »
Francois

jani

• Øyet
Last light
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 03:42:08 am »

If a 1Ds Mk III is indeed anounced at the Photokina you might find some discounts on 1Ds MkII 
That's entirely possible, but if we compare with the 1Ds, they were usually out of stock anyway, and few discounts were forthcoming. Well, here in Norway, anyway. On the used market, an 1Ds apparently goes for about the same price as a used 1D MkII.

If this is a decent background for predicting how things will turn out with the 1Ds MkII, I think we'll be better off trying to get one used.
Jan

francois

Last light
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:22:01 am »

That's entirely possible, but if we compare with the 1Ds, they were usually out of stock anyway, and few discounts were forthcoming. Well, here in Norway, anyway. On the used market, an 1Ds apparently goes for about the same price as a used 1D MkII.
Right! Here in Switzerland it's true that 1Ds (both the original and the Mk2 model) are always out of stock. 1D Mk2 are somtimes also hard to get.
If this is a decent background for predicting how things will turn out with the 1Ds MkII, I think we'll be better off trying to get one used.
This may well be the best way to lay the hands on a 1DsMk2 as some will jump on the new model and dump their "old" Mk2 in the process. It'll make a few happy new owners of 1Ds Mk2  
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up