Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Checker from Aardenburg Imaging  (Read 9361 times)

Lundberg02

Re: Monitor Checker from Aardenburg Imaging
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 04:36:21 am »

You sat you were able to use this in PS 5.1 Tim. What did you select when the warning about layers came up?

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 01:52:49 pm »

You sat you were able to use this in PS 5.1 Tim. What did you select when the warning about layers came up?

The first dialog box warning ask to flatten or keep layers. I chose keep layers of course.

The second dialog box warned that fonts need to be updated. I chose "NO", not to update.

The file opened with instructions legible and in a san serif styled font. Didn't bother to determine what font whether it was substituted or not.

Photoshop version 12.1.1 x64

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 02:28:01 pm »

And my apologies to Mark (MHMG) at Aardenburg Imaging for being too quick to judge the PITA aspects of registering and trying out the Monitor Checker without really making a real effort.

I still would like to discuss the variables and issues I've encountered that affect shadow detail perception while editing on questionable black point roll off into dark grays on any display with all the many influences from editing/imaging apps that muck up black points discussed in this past LuLa thread.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=108348.0

Files I edited on an old 22" CFL backlit Dell in CS3 with old i1Match calibration software/colormeter have to be re-edited now viewing on my LG" LED 27" calibrated with Colormunki Display in CS5 PV2010 that have shadow detail plugged up. Now I can't remember if I edited them to look that way or my new display has darker black point or CS5 Bridge and ACR previews are changing shadow roll off.

Note the tree shadows on the CS3 version on the right are darker. I don't think I would've crushed the shadows that way in CS3 on the Dell display but I can't remember.

Lundberg02

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 02:30:10 am »

After screwing around for a half hour, I sort of figured out how to use it and have gotten far enough to know I'd better use my i1Qisplay Pro. When I got my Dell U2413 I was reluctant to do the hardware cal because of the sparseness of the LUT points, but this Aardenburg thing has convinced me that at the very least, the factory aRGB has a squashed tone curve, so thank you , Mark.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 05:02:59 pm »

Has anyone been able to use this with a non-Photoshop PSD viewer?

I no longer have a copy of PS and given that LR meets all my processing needs, it's unlikely that I will again...

Arlen

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 07:08:40 pm »

Thanks for making this tool available Mark, it is quite useful.

Graham, the PSD file can be saved as a Tif, but either way it has to be viewed in an application that allows turning off individual layers. Other than a version of Photoshop, I don't know what that would be.

TonyW

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 05:14:58 am »

Has anyone been able to use this with a non-Photoshop PSD viewer?

I no longer have a copy of PS and given that LR meets all my processing needs, it's unlikely that I will again...
You may want to have a look at The Gimp.  It is quite capable and I suspect that you may be able to turn on and off layers as you would in PS

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 06:23:15 am »

You may want to have a look at The Gimp.  It is quite capable
But the current version doesn't support LAB mode, so won't load it :-(

TonyW

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 10:05:25 am »

But the current version doesn't support LAB mode, so won't load it :-(
Thanks for the heads up - what a shame I thought that The Gimp pretty much the answer to those that would not use PS.

Sorry Graham, I am not aware of anything other than PS that will do the job in this case

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 11:12:08 am »

what a shame I thought that The Gimp pretty much the answer to those that would not use PS.
It's pretty capable for most normal photographic uses.
I prefer CS4, but it wouldn't worry me if I had to rely on GIMP.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 12:01:19 pm »

It's pretty capable for most normal photographic uses.
I prefer CS4, but it wouldn't worry me if I had to rely on GIMP.

There are others, maybe not all for free but certainly not expensive, e.g. PhotoLine (a very powerful Photoshop alternative for most editing tasks, and then some), that can open and save Layered documents, in Lab or other modes, and in 'Proof view' displays the layers as they are intended.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up