Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How important is the recommended media type?  (Read 1744 times)

Benny Profane

How important is the recommended media type?
« on: August 01, 2016, 10:30:10 pm »

Recently purchased an Epson P800, and tested some papers. decided to buy a box of Canson Rag Photographique 210 17x22 for a B&W image. Like the paper, although I'm going with heavier weight the next time. Anyway, Im told by the manufacturer that I should use the Velvet Fine Art Paper setting in the print settings, which is greyed out if I want to sheet feed the paper - I am forced to use the front feeder if I want that setting. Now, I would like to use the sheet feeder as much as possible, just for the convenience and less wear and tear on the mechanics of the printer, especially for smaller sheets (I also have a box of letter sized photographique). Is that setting critical? Can I substitute another thats available in the sheet feeding mode? Which one?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: How important is the recommended media type?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:53:31 pm »

Recently purchased an Epson P800, and tested some papers. decided to buy a box of Canson Rag Photographique 210 17x22 for a B&W image. Like the paper, although I'm going with heavier weight the next time. Anyway, Im told by the manufacturer that I should use the Velvet Fine Art Paper setting in the print settings, which is greyed out if I want to sheet feed the paper - I am forced to use the front feeder if I want that setting. Now, I would like to use the sheet feeder as much as possible, just for the convenience and less wear and tear on the mechanics of the printer, especially for smaller sheets (I also have a box of letter sized photographique). Is that setting critical? Can I substitute another thats available in the sheet feeding mode? Which one?
the media type determines several settings of the printer, including things like paper thickness setting.  Probably the most important part is the ink load ... some papers can take more ink.  When the profile is made the setting used is the basis for that.

but you can always try it ... the differences in many cases are pretty minor.  The key is whether the path you choose will tend to jam or mar the paper.  And your comment about wear and tear on the mechanics may not apply, forcing paper too thick through the sheet feeder will stress the printer and it's transport mechanism more than the flexible papers it was designed for.

Benny Profane

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 12:05:07 am »

Thanks. By wear and tear, I meant the constant opening and closing of the front feeder. Someday, that's not going to work, after all the use.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 07:25:44 am »

I didn't see any difference when I made custom profiles using the only matte paper that Epson 'allows' in the sheet feeder (I think its UPPM but you'd have to check the printer manual (I did it for my 3880)).  The nice thing about the sheet feeder is that it allows y0ou to make smaller 5x7 test prints (whereas the normal front/rear feed is limited to a minimum 8x10)

Try it.  Get one of the 'print media selection' test images from Northlight or on-sight (I tend to use the Northlight one) and see if the output is smooth and accurate.

Yes, I'd imagine the 17x22 210g paper is too light and hard to handle w/o damage.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 08:43:29 am »

When asked, Epson advises that using the sheet feeder for heavier papers will wear the mechanism prematurely. As for the front fine art feed, while using any mechanism extensively may cause it to break down at some undefined future moment, I don't see the point of imagining this from now on the basis of no information. If the correct media type asks for the FFA feed, my suggestion would be to just use it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Benny Profane

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 11:12:09 am »

I didn't see any difference when I made custom profiles using the only matte paper that Epson 'allows' in the sheet feeder (I think its UPPM but you'd have to check the printer manual (I did it for my 3880)).  The nice thing about the sheet feeder is that it allows y0ou to make smaller 5x7 test prints (whereas the normal front/rear feed is limited to a minimum 8x10)

Try it.  Get one of the 'print media selection' test images from Northlight or on-sight (I tend to use the Northlight one) and see if the output is smooth and accurate.

Yes, I'd imagine the 17x22 210g paper is too light and hard to handle w/o damage.

I tried a smaller letter sized print with the Ultra Premium Presentation Matte setting in the sheet feeding mode, and it looks great. (What's the difference between UPPM and Presentation Paper Matte?) So I'll go with that setting and see how things work out.

My complaint with the large sheet at 210 weight is not really the handling, per se, but the surface doesn't quite dry flat - there's a little "waviness" from the ink load. That's ok if it's getting framed, like this B&W image, but I like the solid and flat look of a heavier weight paper unframed.

I have to get into roll paper.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 08:45:34 pm »

Everyone is entitled to their preferences regarding paper thickness and weight. But, fwiw, I've made many 13x20 prints on 17x22 Moab Entrada Natural 190 and have had no problem working with it or framing it in a 22x28 matte.
Pages: [1]   Go Up