Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about noise reduction - raw image  (Read 9252 times)

brandon

Re: Question about noise reduction - raw image
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 06:54:01 am »

I bit on the $39 offer. Caution, this may mess up your workflow. When called as a plugin from PS is is an export program. In other words, it does not work on the selected layer but export a new copy of the file to a selected location. I edited from LR to PS and ran the plugin (found  under File>export), and then saved.
I shows a file dialog box but it is not in the same folder as the LR file so you have to navigate to the correct folder if you can remember it. Very convoluted.

I followed the defaults for processing. The results did not knock my socks off. I ran the same file in Denoise 6 and did not see much difference.

Larry
I too decided to buy while the price was good, and attracted by the ability to do NR on Sigma X3F files according to the documentation. Unfortunately the X3F files are "rendered" extremely darkly and with graduated colour cast (even disabling any colour denoising "layers"). Seems there have been no updates for the product (unlike their HDR) for years or at all. Try before you buy.Ive emailed them about produt support. Two videos each 1.5 minutes long in English doesnt really meet their claims of an expanding product support base from webinars. maybe in German its much better?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 09:06:53 am »

I have little experience with having to do any noise reduction in my images. I have my 810's iso set to its native number and don't shoot any images where noise has been an issue.

Hi Marv, same with me, Low ISO shooter.

Having said that, a buddy is seeking advice on this particular topic. He shot a number of long exposure night images (raw) on a recent trip where he had his in-camera (Nikon d600) noise controls turned off. Some of his images seem to be quite noisy (reminds me of serious grain back in the old days on film scanned images) and is asking for my input on how to best mitigate the noise.

Longer exposure times (> 1 second) will add a progressively worse amount of Dark Current noise, and Dead/Hot-pixels. That's why most cameras offer a Darkframe or long exposure noise reduction, which on Auto usually kicks in at 1 or 2 seconds and longer.

The best way of tackling such noise however, is by using multiple exposures that can be averaged, and multiple flatframe (also called offset or bias) images and multiple darkframe images. Best done in Raw before demosaicing.

He used Lightroom to process. My initial thought was to re-process the images using the Nikon software and introduce the noise reduction control(s) during that stage. Is this the same as having the noise reduction turned on in-camera and, if not, can anyone point to a decent noise reduction tutorial (Lightroom)?

No, for single images, it helps to let the camera perform darkframe subtraction. It will reduce the most objectionable noise, at the cost of slightly increasing overall noise, and having to wait between exposures for the additional darkframe shot. Removing long exposure noise is harder for postprocessing without blackframes and such, so it depends on the quality of the Denoising application how successful that can be.

Franzis Denoise Projects Professional program is supposed to help in that process, although I have not tested yet how well that functions, and if it can also be done with Raw converted TIFFs. TIFFs are less ideal for such multi-exposure noise reduction compared to Raw, but I'm not that impressed with the Raw conversion capabilities of the Francis Projects software (but then I'm spoiled by Capture One's quality).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Benny Profane

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 11:36:51 am »

My vote is for Denoise 6

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 04:15:33 pm »

Anyone tested the new Neat Image 8?
https://ni.neatvideo.com/news/ni80

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 10:26:54 am »

Anyone tested the new Neat Image 8?
https://ni.neatvideo.com/news/ni80

Hi Pictus,

I'm testing it. I think the results look a bit better than the previous version (which was already very good), but I do not have too many High ISO shots to try it on. Sharpening (halo free) is also better. There are more (useful) controls, which adds to the tweak-ability. But that also makes it a bit more involved to use than e.g. Topaz Denoise. There is a choice possible between 'Beginner' and 'Advanced' mode.

I need to recreate some older camera profiles, since the profiles have changed (more details are recorded) for this version 8 upgrade.

As a veteran user of earlier versions, I'm happy with this latest version, but more tests are needed to compare with the competition.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up