Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D hands on  (Read 38993 times)

jvpictures

Re: X1D hands on
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2016, 08:59:45 am »

The drift of this thread is so typical in internet forums discussing a new camera. The conversation becomes dominated by masters of negativity where there was always ZERO chance from the start that they would ever have purchased the camera. They have lack either the need or the means to buy it (or both), so they obsessively try to tear it down, all the while sanctimoniously saying that competition in the industry is good.

Yes, horrible. Just let them troll further on and dream-on for a competitor cam with multiple more options and features for a fraction of the price... I am glad having ordered on the first day of appearance, especially after my dealer tells me that it is now that much back-ordered that the chance to get on now within this year is minimal...

DrakeJ

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2016, 09:26:22 am »

Yes, horrible. Just let them troll further on and dream-on for a competitor cam with multiple more options and features for a fraction of the price... I am glad having ordered on the first day of appearance, especially after my dealer tells me that it is now that much back-ordered that the chance to get on now within this year is minimal...

Most likely the exact same scenario as for the H6D, I was told a couple of months ago that H6D-100c was due for delivery in december if I ordered it back then. Hasselblad is on a roll, that's for sure. As a swede, I approve. At the same time I went the competition route with Phase a day after X1D was unveiled since it didn't fit my requirements. Apparently I'm not a true patriot. At least I still chose Scandinavian... :)

Theodoros

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2016, 09:43:07 am »

Leica already reacted announcing a trade up program... They've never done that before EVER!

https://captureintegration.com/leica-announces-s-system-trade-up-program/

It seems to me that the phrase "game changer" is more related to the X1D's positioning in the market than it being the smallest or lightest highly (right at the TOP) specified MF...  Although it is early to jump into conclusions, the X1D may well be the cause as to both make MF affordable to the masses as well as to significantly widen the MF market up... At least the first signs point to that being true...

Lets not forget, that during the announcement of the X1D, the CEO Mr. Oosting mentioned that "The H6D intro had a phenomenal appreciation from the market, like never before in Hasselblad's history"... he added that "the market appreciation passed their most optimistic expectations"... I should also remind that on his latest interview, Mr. Oosting implemented that they expect for the MF to expand, his exact words where that "an entry level MF camera will attract more new comers to MF"... 

It is reasonable to expect that if the MF market expands, more major camera makers (out of the mass market) will be attracted as to make MF cameras for prestige reasons... Lets not forget that the X1D is compatible with the Nikon speedlight system... lets not also forget that the lenses for the X1D system are made in Japan by other than the up to now known collaborators of Hasselblad and are claimed to be of phenomenal optical quality...

tcdeveau

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2016, 10:09:23 am »

+1

In most of the negative posts, in terms of "missing" features, people seem to be complaining that Hasselblad essentially didn't announce an A7RII with a larger sensor.  For those that actually need all those features, such as IBIS or extensive use of 3rd party lenses, the A7RII is obviously a better tool as it fits those needs better and checks more of the boxes, so why complain the X1D doesn't fit your needs?  If people are looking for an A7RII with the Sony 50mp MF sensor instead of the current 24x36mm 42mp BSI, Sony is the most likely candidate to announce such a camera and I'm not sure why it was expected of Hasselblad.   

In particular, I don't understand the negativity surrounding the lack of FPS and 3rd party lens compatibility.  Some MF manufacturers, like Hasselblad and Phase, have always been "closed" to some degree (Phase with Capture One and MF image processing, Hasselblad with backs, you can't use Leica S lenses on another platform, you can't use a P1 35mm blue ring LS with an H6D-100c, etc)...why would people expect that to change now?  Hasselblad just announced a new lens lineup that seems to deliver excellent H-lens like quality at a fraction of the cost of H-lenses.  That's amazing.  Compatibilty with 3rd party lenses would decrease sales of XCD lenses, so IMHO they'd have little motivation to allow extensive 3rd party lens use (like people do on the A7/A7x series).   It's wonderful that mirrorless allows for adapting lenses and that people can use a Canon 17mm TS-E on systems other than Canon (I'd love to get one for my A7R), but it's unfortunate that people now seem to expect this from new mirrorless systems.  I haven't done due diligence, but there may even be some intellectual property owned by Sony (or other manufacturers) that would prevent Hasselblad from implementing it without licensing, which would drive up the cost and complexity of the camera and could be another explanation for "missing" features. 

People also seem to be using "missing features" as their own justification either not to purchase, or to tell themselves "it's ok that I can't afford it because it lacks features".  Take the comment in the thread about a "missing" sync port for example.  The X1D has a Nikon compatible hot shoe, and there are Nikon hot shoe to PC-sync port adaptors available that can be purchased for less than $30 USD.  I can't imagine why a solution like this wouldn't work if a sync port is needed, but it's more fun to comment about lack of features and write off cameras due to "deal-breakers" in forums I suppose rather than try to find a solution (no camera is 100% perfect) to get a camera/camera system to fit your needs. 

I appreciate all the hands-on reports that people are contributing and look forward to reading more.  As an existing H-system user, I think it's amazing that Hasselblad put out what essentially is an H6D-50c (sans mirror, modularity, upgrade path, and a couple other things) for 1/3 of the cost (34.6% to be exact) of an H6D-50c.  I am looking to upgrade my H4D-40, which I could trade in for an H6D-50c for ~$16k USD, or I could buy an X1D, the 45mm, the 90mm, and H-adaptor for ~$14k - I could do almost everything I could with an H6D-50c, have $2k leftover, AND get to keep to my H4D-40.  The reduced size/weight of the X system compared to the H system is a big deal as well as basically all of my photography involves travel.  It looks like Hasselblad kept the interface of the X1D simple as well, big gripes I have in terms of user experience with my A7R and X-T1.  I need to demo one myself first, but I'm hoping to order one start of 2017... 

tcdeveau

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2016, 10:13:36 am »

Leica already reacted announcing a trade up program... They've never done that before EVER!

It seems to me that the phrase "game changer" is more related to the X1D's positioning in the market than it being the smallest or lightest highly (right at the TOP) specified MF...  Although it is early to jump into conclusions, the X1D may well be the cause as to both make MF affordable to the masses as well as to significantly widen the MF market up... At least the first signs point to that being true...

Lets not forget, that during the announcement of the X1D, the CEO Mr. Oosting mentioned that "The H6D intro had a phenomenal appreciation from the market, like never before in Hasselblad's history"... he added that "the market appreciation passed their most optimistic expectations"... I should also remind that on his latest interview, Mr. Oosting implemented that they expect for the MF to expand, his exact words where that "an entry level MF camera will attract more new comers to MF"... 

It is reasonable to expect that if the MF market expands, more major camera makers (out of the mass market) will be attracted as to make MF cameras for prestige reasons... Lets not forget that the X1D is compatible with the Nikon speedlight system... lets not also forget that the lenses for the X1D system are made in Japan by other than the up to now known collaborators of Hasselblad and are claimed to be of phenomenal optical quality...

errrr Theo....that promotion was posted April 2014 and expired 6/30/2014

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2016, 10:27:41 am »

+1

In most of the negative posts, in terms of "missing" features, people seem to be complaining that Hasselblad essentially didn't announce an A7RII with a larger sensor.  For those that actually need all those features, such as IBIS or extensive use of 3rd party lenses, the A7RII is obviously a better tool as it fits those needs better and checks more of the boxes, so why complain the X1D doesn't fit your needs?  If people are looking for an A7RII with the Sony 50mp MF sensor instead of the current 24x36mm 42mp BSI, Sony is the most likely candidate to announce such a camera and I'm not sure why it was expected of Hasselblad.   

In particular, I don't understand the negativity surrounding the lack of FPS and 3rd party lens compatibility.  Some MF manufacturers, like Hasselblad and Phase, have always been "closed" to some degree (Phase with Capture One and MF image processing, Hasselblad with backs, you can't use Leica S lenses on another platform, you can't use a P1 35mm blue ring LS with an H6D-100c, etc)...why would people expect that to change now?  Hasselblad just announced a new lens lineup that seems to deliver excellent H-lens like quality at a fraction of the cost of H-lenses.  That's amazing.  Compatibilty with 3rd party lenses would decrease sales of XCD lenses, so IMHO they'd have little motivation to allow extensive 3rd party lens use (like people do on the A7/A7x series).   It's wonderful that mirrorless allows for adapting lenses and that people can use a Canon 17mm TS-E on systems other than Canon (I'd love to get one for my A7R), but it's unfortunate that people now seem to expect this from new mirrorless systems.  I haven't done due diligence, but there may even be some intellectual property owned by Sony (or other manufacturers) that would prevent Hasselblad from implementing it without licensing, which would drive up the cost and complexity of the camera and could be another explanation for "missing" features. 

People also seem to be using "missing features" as their own justification either not to purchase, or to tell themselves "it's ok that I can't afford it because it lacks features".  Take the comment in the thread about a "missing" sync port for example.  The X1D has a Nikon compatible hot shoe, and there are Nikon hot shoe to PC-sync port adaptors available that can be purchased for less than $30 USD.  I can't imagine why a solution like this wouldn't work if a sync port is needed, but it's more fun to comment about lack of features and write off cameras due to "deal-breakers" in forums I suppose rather than try to find a solution (no camera is 100% perfect) to get a camera/camera system to fit your needs. 

I appreciate all the hands-on reports that people are contributing and look forward to reading more.  As an existing H-system user, I think it's amazing that Hasselblad put out what essentially is an H6D-50c (sans mirror, modularity, upgrade path, and a couple other things) for 1/3 of the cost (34.6% to be exact) of an H6D-50c.  I am looking to upgrade my H4D-40, which I could trade in for an H6D-50c for ~$16k USD, or I could buy an X1D, the 45mm, the 90mm, and H-adaptor for ~$14k - I could do almost everything I could with an H6D-50c, have $2k leftover, AND get to keep to my H4D-40.  The reduced size/weight of the X system compared to the H system is a big deal as well as basically all of my photography involves travel.  It looks like Hasselblad kept the interface of the X1D simple as well, big gripes I have in terms of user experience with my A7R and X-T1.  I need to demo one myself first, but I'm hoping to order one start of 2017...

Todd, very well said. +1

I pre-ordered on June 23 and hope to have one in my hands this year.

Joe

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2016, 10:57:14 am »

It looks like Hasselblad kept the interface of the X1D simple as well, big gripes I have in terms of user experience with my A7R and X-T1.

That's one of the things that's drawing me to it. I tried the a7II and RX100III and the menu systems were really not that great. You can work with them and there are plenty of options, but I find them unnecessary convoluted. I'm starting to dislike heavily the menus on my Nikons as well, but at least I have those set up in such a way I rarely have to dig through the options.

All I expect the X1D to do is take great pictures and not hinder me. The fact that I've already gotten a great offer from my local shop is another plus for me.
Instagram (updated often)

Theodoros

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2016, 11:14:23 am »

There is a new one announced additionally to the one before... here is Leica's official release for Europe... https://www.leica-storemayfair.co.uk/pages/leica-professional-trade-in-promotion I thought of posting an American link since there is already a discussion going on on the matter...

Never the less, I don't expect Leica's reaction to buy them enough protection from X1D dominating the market... It will need most makers to significantly revise their pricing policies as to achieve that.... It seems to me that Hasselblad's marketing positioning of the X1D caught the competition both by surprise and thus totally unprepared... Never the less, if the competition (all of it) achieves to react by revising their pricing policies, it may result in significant market expansion of the MF volume...

Makers have to realize that MF users of modern Cmos sensors use LV far more than the respective FF DSLR users and additionally the makers that offer detachable backs, most of their customers remove them off the camera only to clean them up... So to all those people, the X1D offers a directly competitive product that they'll have nothing to miss out of their up to now use, but being miles ahead for portability and at a fraction of the cost...

There are of course people that make use of their optical finders and backs (as stand alone), but they aren't the majority that supports the MF market up to now and additionally, many of them tend to keep their equipment from the past as to keep using for these applications and only upgrade for the "integrated camera" use....

Joe Towner

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2016, 11:29:16 am »

As the OP, I really ask all to keep on topic - those who've had one in hand and questions specific to the handling of the X1D. 

My one requirement is the wired cable release.  The app is a nice toy, but I have zero faith in wifi within a stadium environment, and that's where I'd use it.
t: @PNWMF

SrMi

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2016, 01:27:36 pm »

My one requirement is the wired cable release.  The app is a nice toy, but I have zero faith in wifi within a stadium environment, and that's where I'd use it.

Agree that using an app as remote release would be cumbersome. With my Nikons and Hasselblad I often avoid using wired cable release and use shutter delay of 2 to 5 seconds instead.

Joe Towner

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2016, 04:24:46 pm »

Delayed shot works for a single one, love how I can activate it with a double tap of the M.Up button on the H4.
t: @PNWMF

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2016, 04:02:07 am »

Hopefully there will be some kind of solution using the USB port, both to provide a physical remote shutter and a sync port.
Instagram (updated often)

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2016, 11:29:22 am »

+1

Could not agree more!  Well said!

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2016, 12:56:08 pm »

Good catch, Mr. Deveau. Theo made an error in his own post and disproved his own theory in the process. 2 thumbs up.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Theodoros

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2016, 03:48:40 pm »

Good catch, Mr. Deveau. Theo made an error in his own post and disproved his own theory in the process. 2 thumbs up.

Steve Hendrix/CI

The post may include an error (corrected ages ago) but Leica is running a major promotion program world wide and thus there is no "theory disproved"... 

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2016, 04:56:28 pm »

The post may include an error (corrected ages ago) but Leica is running a major promotion program world wide and thus there is no "theory disproved"...

You posted that Leica had never run a trade in promotion before and then referenced a post from our website showing a trade in promotion that was from 2 years ago... that was the part of the theory I was referring to...

And I'm just making a friendly poke, Theo, don't take it too seriously.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2016, 06:19:12 pm »

He has to that's his life.

However, to the point. My guess is more Leica wants to clear some inventory before their next release.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

jvpictures

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2016, 11:26:09 am »

Cfast and SDXD cards and reader waiting to be filled by X1D and H6D-100c!  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2016, 12:23:12 pm »

Cfast and SDXD cards and reader waiting to be filled by X1D and H6D-100c!  ;D

And I remember when all it took was a lab with E6... How inexpensive, those happy days!

;-)

Rob

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2016, 12:26:30 pm »

And I remember when all it took was a lab with E6... How inexpensive, those happy days!

;-)

Rob

I need an oracle, a rabbit's foot and a 4 leaved clover to find an E6 lab these days.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up