Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distant detail in digital images  (Read 2445 times)

Pete JF

Distant detail in digital images
« on: June 16, 2006, 10:30:56 am »

Hi,

I shoot a lot of 4x5 view camera stuff. Among other things I love the way distant detail is rendered in 4x5. I was wondering, I used to have about a 6 megapixel camera, point and shoot. The way it captured distant detail was horrible and I noticed this in other,  higher end cameras too. Distant detail was always sort of speckly and and not distinct. especially with stuff like foliage etc. Fine detail is what im talking abour i spose.

Does this still occur with the newer high end slr style cameras and digital backs?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 11:52:55 am »

If you could post an image to show what you mean that would be great.

Bobtrips

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 12:45:07 pm »

Hi,

I shoot a lot of 4x5 view camera stuff. Among other things I love the way distant detail is rendered in 4x5. I was wondering, I used to have about a 6 megapixel camera, point and shoot. The way it captured distant detail was horrible and I noticed this in other,  higher end cameras too. Distant detail was always sort of speckly and and not distinct. especially with stuff like foliage etc. Fine detail is what im talking abour i spose.

Does this still occur with the newer high end slr style cameras and digital backs?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68312\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like you've printed larger than your camera will support.  If you enlarge digital too much you are going to get less resolutions ("not distinct") and you are more likely to see some digital noise ("speckly").  You are also more likely to see these things if you look at a digital file at "100%" on a monitor.  At 'actual pixels' on most monitors a 6 meg file is being show as it would if printed around 3 feet by 4 feet.

As you know if you exceed the 'quality' size limits with film the results aren't pretty.  Lots of grain.  Messy stuff, just different messy stuff than what digital gives one.

Comparing the output of a 4x5 and a 6 meg digital is about like comparing a Honda and a F1 racer.  Not a fair comparison on any level (performance, cost, and 'comfort').

Why don't you get a copy of Michael's CD?  That will give you some sample shots from digital that are more like your 4x5.  Make something closer to an apples:apples comparison.

BJL

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 01:18:35 pm »

Comparing the output of a 4x5 and a 6 meg digital is about like comparing a Honda and a F1 racer.  [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Agreed, except that Honda has a F1 team!

In additions to the recent shoot-out CD, I would suggest seeking full resolution sample files online from current high end DSLRs from the D2X and 5D up for "Print Image Quality" comparisons to 4"x5". No guesses for now about how far beyond 12.5MP one would have to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up