Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolling Camera Bag - Pelican 1510?  (Read 1923 times)

Mark_Seng

Rolling Camera Bag - Pelican 1510?
« on: July 16, 2016, 04:32:56 am »

I`m looking for a rolling camera bag and I`m not sure which one to buy. Either a pelican 1510 or some kind of lowepro or thinktank roller. I`m shooting a lot of architecture (and interior) and I walk around buildings a lot checking light and perspectives and open and closing my bag a lot. Is a pelican okay for this type of photography? I`m sure a pelican is awesome for traveling to a shooting location with all the gear but how is it working out of it? Is there anything special to consider before buying?

Mark_Seng

Re: Rolling Camera Bag - Pelican 1510?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 06:20:08 am »

thanks paul, that helps a lot!

The recent models are easy to open...
I have heard that they have recently improved the wheels...

Paul

Do recent models differ visually from the older ones? To make sure to buy a recent one.
Another question that comes to my mind: Did you ever noticed any damage to your gear caused by vibration when rolling? I could imagine that especially shift lenses are a bit prone to vibrations.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:32:01 am by Mark_Seng »

andyptak

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 09:53:25 am »

I'm going through a similar decision myself.

Currently I'm a Think Tank guy for carry-on and really like it.

However, I have a bad back and not getting any younger and the weight is really getting to me so I've considered a hard roller. Trouble is with a 20 lb weight limit (or there about) the Pelican - even the Air version - is going to take up half of that compared to the 4 lbs of my Think Tank bag.

I haven't had weight of a carry-on checked often but it has happened, especially if it looks heavy, and I'll be damned if I'll check my gear in. The weight is not an airline regulation, it's FAA/DOT, so the gate crew have no sympathy at all.

Any issues with the Pelican for air travel that you've had?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 11:11:34 am »

I haven't had a new one in-hand, but was recently sent a flyer that Pelican has improved the 1510 model with a much lighter-weight version.  If you've had a fully loaded 1510, you know it gets pretty heavy.  Lightweight with the same protection?  New Pelican upgrade version worth looking into....  see, http://www.pelican.com/us/en/air/

ken
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 11:14:42 am by Ken Doo »

andyptak

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 01:47:02 pm »

I envy you Paul.

I seem to be on more flights than ever where they announce that the flight is full and because I'm always issued an economy ticket I get to board in the last group with the rest of the sardines. I have seen more than once when there is not enough room in the overhead bins and the last ones on have to hand over their carry on bags to be stowed down below. A Pelican would be okay, but a soft bag is just asking for trouble.

If that happened to me then I think I would have to decline and get off the plane. I have about $50,000 invested in my carry on and it just isn't worth the risk.

Mark_Seng

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 03:55:35 pm »

I haven't had a new one in-hand, but was recently sent a flyer that Pelican has improved the 1510 model with a much lighter-weight version.  If you've had a fully loaded 1510, you know it gets pretty heavy.  Lightweight with the same protection?  New Pelican upgrade version worth looking into....  see, http://www.pelican.com/us/en/air/

ken

Looks interesting, as far as i have seen the only drawback is price and that it doensn`t have the top handle.
Check out this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpxLibybDL8
I guess i will buy the original 1510.
Pages: [1]   Go Up